Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Is there anything that the sqaud has been doing in Germany this week...

"My ''nob'' like response as you put it was to the earlier contributor who said that he would rather watch a rugby match than watch Norwich at Carrow Road, which was something I and other questioned."

No your telling him that if he prefer''s another sport that he shouldn''t contribute. That''s what makes it a nobish response.

"Your frankly ridiculous comment about Australia isn''t really valid is it?. We were dicussing the reasons why England are not as good as other countries at FOOTBALL !!, last time I looked Australia weren''t particularly good either .......do keep up."

It is valid, it shows that a country can be good at many sports at the same time, therefore it''s relevant. Australia may not be as good as us at football I mean they lost 4-0 to Germany while we only lost 4-1. They also iirc beat us the last time we played. Your whole argument is that other sports are potentially drawing people away from football. Australia''s participation in these sports at the highest levels despite only having a population of around 6 million disproves your theory.

"I would argue that the likes of Vollyball,Cycling,Handball and Ice Hockey would hold anything like the same participation and spectator numbers in Germany as Rugby and Cricket do in England, I''ll wager there aren''t too many Twickenham and Lords like stadia for those sports there?"

Ice Hockey in Germany has a higher average attendance than county cricket by about 2000 per game. There was also some 70,000+ at Germany''s world championship game against the US. So it''s comparable I would say. Also considering there are 15 teams in the top tier and match day squads consist of 20 players I would argue Ice Hockey needs as much participation if not more than Cricket. Not many people actually follow county cricket outside of the Twenty20 championship, and certainly not many turn up to the four day matches.

The really funny thing is that some people tend to play two sports if not more. The summer cricket season doesn''t really clash with the football one, not at school level and the times of games you can easily fit in both. My friends son plays cricket for Warwickshire''s youth team and still plays football to a high youth level. Chances are unless he makes it as a pro for either one he will be playing semi-pro football and playing for his home cricket team.

Don''t let your hatred and ignorance of other sports cloud your judgement.

We haven''t won the football World Cup because of many reasons and I would wager those otehr sports suffer more because of football than football does because of them.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]"My ''nob'' like response as you put it was to the earlier contributor who said that he would rather watch a rugby match than watch Norwich at Carrow Road, which was something I and other questioned." No your telling him that if he prefer''s another sport that he shouldn''t contribute. That''s what makes it a nobish response. "Your frankly ridiculous comment about Australia isn''t really valid is it?. We were dicussing the reasons why England are not as good as other countries at FOOTBALL !!, last time I looked Australia weren''t particularly good either .......do keep up." It is valid, it shows that a country can be good at many sports at the same time, therefore it''s relevant. Australia may not be as good as us at football I mean they lost 4-0 to Germany while we only lost 4-1. They also iirc beat us the last time we played. Your whole argument is that other sports are potentially drawing people away from football. Australia''s participation in these sports at the highest levels despite only having a population of around 6 million disproves your theory. "I would argue that the likes of Vollyball,Cycling,Handball and Ice Hockey would hold anything like the same participation and spectator numbers in Germany as Rugby and Cricket do in England, I''ll wager there aren''t too many Twickenham and Lords like stadia for those sports there?" Ice Hockey in Germany has a higher average attendance than county cricket by about 2000 per game. There was also some 70,000+ at Germany''s world championship game against the US. So it''s comparable I would say. Also considering there are 15 teams in the top tier and match day squads consist of 20 players I would argue Ice Hockey needs as much participation if not more than Cricket. Not many people actually follow county cricket outside of the Twenty20 championship, and certainly not many turn up to the four day matches. The really funny thing is that some people tend to play two sports if not more. The summer cricket season doesn''t really clash with the football one, not at school level and the times of games you can easily fit in both. My friends son plays cricket for Warwickshire''s youth team and still plays football to a high youth level. Chances are unless he makes it as a pro for either one he will be playing semi-pro football and playing for his home cricket team. Don''t let your hatred and ignorance of other sports cloud your judgement. We haven''t won the football World Cup because of many reasons and I would wager those otehr sports suffer more because of football than football does because of them. Davo[/quote]

yes, I agree with some of those points, and bow to your obvious knowledge of Ice Hockey however the fact still remains is that the discussion was about the potential reasons as to why we aren''t as good at football as other countries. Most Australians probably wouldn''t care about football as long as they remain one of the better countries in Cricket and Rugby and for the purpose of this argument -particularly on a football discussion page, I don''t actually care if other sports suffer beacuse of football, as I would rather England wins the football world cup rather than rugby,cricket or anything else for that matter - and hopefully in my lifetime, while I''m still around to see it! (p.s Austalia''s population is infact 21million).

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Davo"]"My ''nob'' like response as you put it was to the earlier contributor who said that he would rather watch a rugby match than watch Norwich at Carrow Road, which was something I and other questioned." No your telling him that if he prefer''s another sport that he shouldn''t contribute. That''s what makes it a nobish response. "Your frankly ridiculous comment about Australia isn''t really valid is it?. We were dicussing the reasons why England are not as good as other countries at FOOTBALL !!, last time I looked Australia weren''t particularly good either .......do keep up." It is valid, it shows that a country can be good at many sports at the same time, therefore it''s relevant. Australia may not be as good as us at football I mean they lost 4-0 to Germany while we only lost 4-1. They also iirc beat us the last time we played. Your whole argument is that other sports are potentially drawing people away from football. Australia''s participation in these sports at the highest levels despite only having a population of around 6 million disproves your theory. "I would argue that the likes of Vollyball,Cycling,Handball and Ice Hockey would hold anything like the same participation and spectator numbers in Germany as Rugby and Cricket do in England, I''ll wager there aren''t too many Twickenham and Lords like stadia for those sports there?" Ice Hockey in Germany has a higher average attendance than county cricket by about 2000 per game. There was also some 70,000+ at Germany''s world championship game against the US. So it''s comparable I would say. Also considering there are 15 teams in the top tier and match day squads consist of 20 players I would argue Ice Hockey needs as much participation if not more than Cricket. Not many people actually follow county cricket outside of the Twenty20 championship, and certainly not many turn up to the four day matches. The really funny thing is that some people tend to play two sports if not more. The summer cricket season doesn''t really clash with the football one, not at school level and the times of games you can easily fit in both. My friends son plays cricket for Warwickshire''s youth team and still plays football to a high youth level. Chances are unless he makes it as a pro for either one he will be playing semi-pro football and playing for his home cricket team. Don''t let your hatred and ignorance of other sports cloud your judgement. We haven''t won the football World Cup because of many reasons and I would wager those otehr sports suffer more because of football than football does because of them. Davo[/quote]

yes, I agree with some of those points, and bow to your obvious knowledge of Ice Hockey however the fact still remains is that the discussion was about the potential reasons as to why we aren''t as good at football as other countries. Most Australians probably wouldn''t care about football as long as they remain one of the better countries in Cricket and Rugby and for the purpose of this argument -particularly on a football discussion page, I don''t actually care if other sports suffer beacuse of football, as I would rather England wins the football world cup rather than rugby,cricket or anything else for that matter - and hopefully in my lifetime, while I''m still around to see it! (p.s Austalia''s population is infact 21million).

[/quote]The reason why England are s**t is because the Prem league would rather import ready made foreign talent rather than coach our own.  And it has a knock on effect through the leagues.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]

The reason why England are s**t is because the Prem league would rather import ready made foreign talent rather than coach our own.  And it has a knock on effect through the leagues.
[/quote]

That is the crux of the matter.

Until the whole FA/Premier League system as it currently is, is sorted out from grass roots upwards, we will never be able to produce enough English talent to be competitive in world football. Perhaps they will realise that having the most expensive league in the world (by money generated) doesn''t equal success for the National team. (It doesn''t even equate to football that is good to watch most of the time.)  

I believe the Grubers are quite good at Hockey. Not sure that the size of our population has a lot to do with why we are shite at footy. The Dutch are a small country that participate in a number of sports and they always seem able to produce a half decent footy team........ Oh and I agree with Filly....