Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Is there anything that the sqaud has been doing in Germany this week...

that couldn''t have been done at Colney?

If they were playing a couple of freindly matches against professional German sides then fair enough but from the photos on the official website this week, its just been training each and everyday. Whilst I appreciate that there is also a social/bonding aspect to this trip aswell, what has a secluded training base in Germany in the middle of nowhere got that a night out in Norwich hasn''t ?!?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If they were playing a couple of freindly matches against professional German sides then fair enough but from the photos on the official website this week, its just been training each and everyday. Whilst I appreciate that there is also a social/bonding aspect to this trip aswell, what has a secluded training base in Germany in the middle of nowhere got that a night out in Norwich hasn''t ?!?!?

[/quote]Didn''t hurt Col Who''s start last year did it?

that couldn''t have been done at Colney

[/quote][img]http://pics.myvillage.com/12004778.jpg[/img]

You''ve party answered your own question GJL in that the trip also provides a great opportunity for team bonding and all the new players building a good working relationship with people. Everybody is in the same boat, a new place, a new setup, a new location, and much easier for the newcomers to fit in as a result.

Apart from that I can only assume this place has much better equipment than we have at Colney and the staff there have a level or expertise we perhaps couldn''t get over here.

Saw on SSN that Germany possesses something like 20,000+ B License coaches compared to England''s 2000 odd. Whatever it is they do over there it must be bloody good!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Didn''t hurt Col Who''s start last year did it?[/quote]

If we''re referring to the first match, I wonder how much that had to do with Colchester''s pre-season prepations as oppose to our own "ill-prepared,ill-disciplined and ill-managed" squad of players - to quote along the lines of David McNally of the previous regime?

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

that couldn''t have been done at Colney

[/quote]

[img]http://pics.myvillage.com/12004778.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Ah Mercy! and indeed Prince of Wales road - the "Magluf strip" of Northern Europe !!!

[quote user="Lincs CR"]You''ve party answered your own question GJL in that the trip also provides a great opportunity for team bonding and all the new players building a good working relationship with people. Everybody is in the same boat, a new place, a new setup, a new location, and much easier for the newcomers to fit in as a result. Apart from that I can only assume this place has much better equipment than we have at Colney and the staff there have a level or expertise we perhaps couldn''t get over here. Saw on SSN that Germany possesses something like 20,000+ B License coaches compared to England''s 2000 odd. Whatever it is they do over there it must be bloody good![/quote]

To respond to the point about B liscense coaches, I wonder how much this has to do with the profile of sports that the Germans play. Apart from the odd winter-sport, If you play sport in Germany, be it at school or at sports clubs your''e going to play football.  Germany (and for that matter Brazil) aren''t wasting their time on minority sports such as rugby and cricket such as we do in this country. I wonder quite how many potential footballers we lose to these other sports that Germany doesn''t ,when you also consider that they have  40 million greater population than England ,you can start to see why this deficit exists?

[/quote]Why do we ever go abroad on summer holidays?  Surely we could just lie on a towel in the back yard and go to Harper''s if we want a swim?Why do we ever leave the house?  What could be out there in the big bad world that I don''t have here within these four walls, including Julie Reinger?

I think the issue about team bonding is the pertinent matter here. If they were doing a weeks intensive training at Colney then the players would go home after training and that would be it - the new boys would go back to Dunston Hall or wherever.

When on tour everyone is in the same boat - and no doubt there''s been some social bonding exercises going on (even if it is just table tennis).

Many years ago I happened to be staying at the same place that Watford (Iwan et al) had their pre season training base. They trained in the morning and in the afternoons and evenings they relaxed - either by watching TV together (Neighbours and Going For Gold were the limit of their intellectual capacity) or played table tennis or tennis.

Even got to see a "behind closed doors" game they played against Torquay with their left back Wilf Rostron refereeing. They got to the play offs that season.......!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Why do we ever go abroad on summer holidays?  Surely we could just lie on a towel in the back yard and go to Harper''s if we want a swim?

Why do we ever leave the house?  What could be out there in the big bad world that I don''t have here within these four walls, including Julie Reinger?

[/quote]

I think you had better check your basement Mister C.I am sure she was on the telly a couple of nights ago.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]You''ve party answered your own question GJL in that the trip also provides a great opportunity for team bonding and all the new players building a good working relationship with people. Everybody is in the same boat, a new place, a new setup, a new location, and much easier for the newcomers to fit in as a result. Apart from that I can only assume this place has much better equipment than we have at Colney and the staff there have a level or expertise we perhaps couldn''t get over here. Saw on SSN that Germany possesses something like 20,000+ B License coaches compared to England''s 2000 odd. Whatever it is they do over there it must be bloody good![/quote]

To respond to the point about B liscense coaches, I wonder how much this has to do with the profile of sports that the Germans play. Apart from the odd winter-sport, If you play sport in Germany, be it at school or at sports clubs your''e going to play football.  Germany (and for that matter Brazil) aren''t wasting their time on minority sports such as rugby and cricket such as we do in this country. I wonder quite how many potential footballers we lose to these other sports that Germany doesn''t ,when you also consider that they have  40 million greater population than England ,you can start to see why this deficit exists?

[/quote]

I think your remark about "minority sports" is a bit pathetic. Given the choice I would go and watch and play in a Rugby League match over a Football match at Carrow Road.and I am sure many people believe their own particular game, from tennis to hopscotch, beats soccer as a spectator sport.You cannot really be claiming that England, with a population now said to be almost 70 million, produces poor soccer players because a few jolly fellows play cricket and rugger.

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

I think your remark about "minority sports" is a bit pathetic. Given the choice I would go and watch and play in a Rugby League match over a Football match at Carrow Road.and I am sure many people believe their own particular game, from tennis to hopscotch, beats soccer as a spectator sport.You cannot really be claiming that England, with a population now said to be almost 70 million, produces poor soccer players because a few jolly fellows play cricket and rugger.

[/quote]You prefer rugby to football?

[quote user="Bobert"]

You cannot really be claiming that England, with a population now said to be almost 70 million, produces poor soccer players because a few jolly fellows play cricket and rugger.

[/quote]

Almost 70 million already? Goodness me, those immigrants breed fast...

If you prefer to watch and play Rugby, why don''t you prefer to post on Rugby message boards?

I of course jest, it''s just a strange point to declare on a Norwich City FOOTBALL (not soccer) message board.

Rugby is a minority sport, especially here in Norfolk. Look at when England won the World Cup in 2003(?) The players got a great home coming but can you imagine the response of the country if we had won the proper World Cup? It just wouldn''t compare!!! I watched the final but soon forgot about the sport the following day & went back to my first love!

[/quote]

[/quote]And also completely wrong, the Germans play a real variety of sports, more than we do, especially at school.

In case I missed something - Pul lambert played in Germany, Germany placed third (again) at the World cup, and Germany has 10 x the number of qualified coaches. Oh and CU whacked us 7-1.

So a good idea to learn something from them don''t you think?

In case I missed something - Paul Lambert played in Germany, Germany placed third (again) at the World cup, and Germany has 10 x the number of qualified coaches. Oh and CU whacked us 7-1.

So a good idea to learn something from them don''t you think?

A few responses, in no partiular order.

a) if you prefer to watch Rugby go and do it but don''t contribute to a football discussion

b) England (not Britain) has a population of 50-55 million compared to 90 million in Germany

c) I''d love you to enlighten me on the ''vast'' array of team sports that are played in Germany

d) If we were being coached by ''Germans'' during this week in Germany that might be valid, but presumably it''s only our coaches??

[/quote]

[/quote]

What I am claiming is that in this country countless hours are spent in our schools teaching and practising Rugby and Cricket, hours which aren''t lost to these sports in coutries such as Germany,Brazil,Spain and to an extent Italy.

a coincidence that these countries are the  most succesful footballing countries in the world - maybe?, but what they aren''t doing is ''wasting'' their time on sports that only 10 countries in the world play. With regard your remark about ''a few jolly fellows play cricket and rugby'', there are huge numbers of players and spectators associated with clubs of these sports in England, maybe you''re underestimating these numbers?

b) England (not Britain) has a population of 50-55 million compared to 90 million in Germany

[/quote]

49m - England

82m - Germany

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

49m - England

82m - Germany

[/quote]

so I was 7m out, in my earlier estimation that we had 40m less population than Germany.......slighty more accurate than beliving we have 70 million people in England compared to 82m in Germany ! (not sure how we''ve aquired 21 million people overnight!?).

GJL - Just to be clear, are you saying that we shouldnt play any other sport than football in this country? Or just saying thats a reason why we arent as good?

[quote user="Trent Canary"]GJL - Just to be clear, are you saying that we shouldnt play any other sport than football in this country? Or just saying thats a reason why we arent as good?
[/quote]

I''m merely offering this as a possible reason (but just for the record , I hate Rugby and think it should be banned!), maybe England are the classic ''jacks of all trades, and masters of none, although our (S.Africa/Ireland/India/Pakistan) England cricket team appear to be in good shape just at the moment.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]GJL - Just to be clear, are you saying that we shouldnt play any other sport than football in this country? Or just saying thats a reason why we arent as good?[/quote]

I''m merely offering this as a possible reason (but just for the record , I hate Rugby and think it should be banned!), maybe England are the classic ''jacks of all trades, and masters of none, although our (S.Africa/Ireland/India/Pakistan) England cricket team appear to be in good shape just at the moment.

[/quote]Ok thats fine. As a close follower of several sports I was about to go into keyboard rant mode [:)]Our problem is we invented practically all of these sports.  I agree that its a possible reason the likes of Brazil are better than us, I could go into other reasons but they have been covered at length on here. Personally I think the culture of youth football is one of our biggest problems; But at the same time the margins in elite sport are so fine, we could end up being world-beaters in four years time (Yes, I know its very unlikely). England rugby went from Average to World champions in about 5 years, and went back to average in about 2 years.

GLJ Said:

"a) if you prefer to watch Rugby go and do it but don''t contribute to a football discussion"

Wow what a nob like response. Just because someone prefer''s another sport doesn''t mean they don''t like football.

I prefer football but also spend time watching and contributing to discussion on Ice Hockey.

As for your comment about other countries, what''s your excuse for Australia? They play as many sports as we do if not more.

Germany apart from football also play Ice Hockey, Volleyball, Handball, Cycling and all the winter sports. Just because you don''t follow these sports doesn''t mean they aren''t popular. This is just showing your ignorance.

As for your original topic I can think of many advantages of going away for a week compared to staying at Colney and doing the "team building" by going out and getting hammered in the City. They aren''t going to be able to train well if they''re hungover now are they? Having the team being together for the whole week when you have 8 new players allows t hem to get to know each other and also allows Lambert to train them without distractions.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]GLJ Said: "a) if you prefer to watch Rugby go and do it but don''t contribute to a football discussion" Wow what a nob like response. Just because someone prefer''s another sport doesn''t mean they don''t like football. I prefer football but also spend time watching and contributing to discussion on Ice Hockey. As for your comment about other countries, what''s your excuse for Australia? They play as many sports as we do if not more. Germany apart from football also play Ice Hockey, Volleyball, Handball, Cycling and all the winter sports. Just because you don''t follow these sports doesn''t mean they aren''t popular. This is just showing your ignorance. As for your original topic I can think of many advantages of going away for a week compared to staying at Colney and doing the "team building" by going out and getting hammered in the City. They aren''t going to be able to train well if they''re hungover now are they? Having the team being together for the whole week when you have 8 new players allows t hem to get to know each other and also allows Lambert to train them without distractions. Davo[/quote]

My ''nob'' like response as you put it was to the earlier contributor who said that he would rather watch a rugby match than watch Norwich at Carrow Road, which was something I and other questioned.

Your frankly ridiculous comment about Australia isn''t really valid is it?. We were dicussing the reasons why England are not as good as other countries at FOOTBALL !!, last time I looked Australia weren''t particularly good either .......do keep up.

I would argue that the likes of Vollyball,Cycling,Handball and Ice Hockey would hold anything like the same participation and spectator numbers in Germany as Rugby and Cricket do in England, I''ll wager there aren''t too many Twickenham and Lords like stadia for those sports there?

[quote user="Davo"]GLJ Said: "a) if you prefer to watch Rugby go and do it but don''t contribute to a football discussion" Wow what a nob like response. Just because someone prefer''s another sport doesn''t mean they don''t like football. I prefer football but also spend time watching and contributing to discussion on Ice Hockey. As for your comment about other countries, what''s your excuse for Australia? They play as many sports as we do if not more. Germany apart from football also play Ice Hockey, Volleyball, Handball, Cycling and all the winter sports. Just because you don''t follow these sports doesn''t mean they aren''t popular. This is just showing your ignorance. As for your original topic I can think of many advantages of going away for a week compared to staying at Colney and doing the "team building" by going out and getting hammered in the City. They aren''t going to be able to train well if they''re hungover now are they? Having the team being together for the whole week when you have 8 new players allows t hem to get to know each other and also allows Lambert to train them without distractions. Davo[/quote]

My ''nob'' like response as you put it was to the earlier contributor who said that he would rather watch a rugby match than watch Norwich at Carrow Road, which was something I and other questioned.

Your frankly ridiculous comment about Australia isn''t really valid is it?. We were dicussing the reasons why England are not as good as other countries at FOOTBALL !!, last time I looked Australia weren''t particularly good either .......do keep up.

I would argue that the likes of Vollyball,Cycling,Handball and Ice Hockey would hold anything like the same participation and spectator numbers in Germany as Rugby and Cricket do in England, I''ll wager there aren''t too many Twickenham and Lords like stadia for those sports there?

[/quote]

*wouldn''t

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]GJL - Just to be clear, are you saying that we shouldnt play any other sport than football in this country? Or just saying thats a reason why we arent as good?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok thats fine. As a close follower of several sports I was about to go into keyboard rant mode [:)]

Our problem is we invented practically all of these sports.  I agree that its a possible reason the likes of Brazil are better than us, I could go into other reasons but they have been covered at length on here. Personally I think the culture of youth football is one of our biggest problems; But at the same time the margins in elite sport are so fine, we could end up being world-beaters in four years time (Yes, I know its very unlikely). England rugby went from Average to World champions in about 5 years, and went back to average in about 2 years.

[/quote]

I think it''s more possible for this kind of phenomena to occur in a sport like Rugby because as previously mentioned there are so few countries that play it at the top level. The problem in football is of course that there is a far larger breadth of competetion on a global scale. Whilst there remains a relative few that will win the World Cup there are a far greater number of counries that could beat us on any given day.