Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

When Holt & Hoolahan are injured or suspended.

Won''t we have to change formation and tactics significantly since their particular attributes seem unique in the current squad?

How much of a problem do you reckon that will be?

OTBC

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Hang on just a minute..

[img]http://paulboylan.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/crystal-ball.jpg[/img]

Right.  Not a problem at all.

[/quote]

Not much future relying on her. She retired years ago.

OTBC

It maybe a problem, but I feel we are better equipped to deal with it this season than we were last. Jackson and Martin as a partnership in a 4-3-1-2 formation with Hughes/Surman/Macnammee just in behind the front two, and a midfield trio behind that.

Every club would have a problem if they lost two key players, even the ones at the top of the premier league why should we be any different?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Every club would have a problem if they lost two key players, even the ones at the top of the premier league why should we be any different?[/quote]

Ok, let''s take strikers.

The plan is to have 4 of your own (loan in others as the needs of the season unfold)

Do you (a) assemble the best 4 you can or (b) get the best 2 biguns and the best 2 littleuns you can?

Option (b) will involve tthe minimum disruption to formation and strategy.

Me? I prefer flexibility. Get in the best 4 you can. Mix, match and vary stategy. 2 on the field then get the other 2 on during the last 30 minutes as necessary.

Steve Bruce once said a club can''t have too many strikers. And it seemed to have worked for him as a manager in his promotion campaigns from the Championship.

OTBC

[/quote]

It isn''t Aunty Marge is it?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Won''t we have to change formation and tactics significantly since their particular attributes seem unique in the current squad?

OTBC

[/quote]

On a serious note - when Hoolahan got injured last season we were notably lacking a plan B and our performances clearly declined, though it seems churlish to say this about a team who romped the League.

I trust Lambert has identified this, and remedied it with his summer signings.  So I would back him to have a "plan B".

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Every club would have a problem if they lost two key players, even the ones at the top of the premier league why should we be any different?[/quote]

Ok, let''s take strikers.

The plan is to have 4 of your own (loan in others as the needs of the season unfold)

Do you (a) assemble the best 4 you can or (b) get the best 2 biguns and the best 2 littleuns you can?

Option (b) will involve tthe minimum disruption to formation and strategy.

Me? I prefer flexibility. Get in the best 4 you can. Mix, match and vary stategy. 2 on the field then get the other 2 on during the last 30 minutes as necessary.

Steve Bruce once said a club can''t have too many strikers. And it seemed to have worked for him as a manager in his promotion campaigns from the Championship.

OTBC

[/quote]

I dont think there are many good target men out there and one who would be prepared to sit in our reserves, otherwise we wouldnt have been searching for one for so long and Holts holdup play might not have looked as good as it did had we seen anything like it in the last few years. I agree we may just have to alter our strategy to suit what we have avaliable.

Steve Bruce though has mainly managed at clubs with alot more resources than ours.

Hoolahans a unique player who on his day is a matchwinner, but with the amount of midfielders we have this season, I think we''ll be able to cover for him OK!

Even Mcnamee who flattered to deceive on most occasions had one of his best games for us playing in Hoolahans position in between the forward line and midfield in the 3-0 win at Bristol Rovers!

As for Holt hes our only targetman and that will be a concern if he misses games!

A targetman together with another rightback are the only 2 positions that need extra players!

OTBC

[/quote]what, if , but.......really???? what if they dont get suspened or injured??? lol

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]what, if , but.......really???? what if they dont get suspened or injured??? lol[/quote]

Well assuming that Lambert''s strategy, formation and tactics for the Championship are working then it will only be good if they don''t get suspended/injured. Of course we will have a couple of pretty frustrated strikers on the bench - and they''ll be very motivated when they come on as subs..................happy days!

OTBC

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]what, if , but.......really???? what if they dont get suspened or injured??? lol[/quote]

Well assuming that Lambert''s strategy, formation and tactics for the Championship are working then it will only be good if they don''t get suspended/injured. Of course we will have a couple of pretty frustrated strikers on the bench - and they''ll be very motivated when they come on as subs..................happy days!

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

It isn''t Aunty Marge is it?

[/quote]

Watch it Tilly!!!

BlyBly - It seems to me that Surman is a perfect "Plan B" in Hoolahan''s position. He will probably start instead of Lappin on the left but will be able to accommodate that position would it be needed for suspension or injury. Lappin would probably come in then.

As for Holt, I think it may well be Martin and Jackson and an attacking midfield in order to assist. Some variant on the 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-2-1.

But then again I maybe totally wrong and he''ll employ goal machine Nelson as a target man.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hoolahans a unique player who on his day is a matchwinner, but with the amount of midfielders we have this season, I think we''ll be able to cover for him OK! Even Mcnamee who flattered to deceive on most occasions had one of his best games for us playing in Hoolahans position in between the forward line and midfield in the 3-0 win at Bristol Rovers! As for Holt hes our only targetman and that will be a concern if he misses games! A targetman together with another rightback are the only 2 positions that need extra players![/quote]

Clogger Nelson makes a good target man. At least from set pieces. I am hoping we will be more of a "pass it through the defense" team, rather than a "hoof it to the big fella" kind of team.

Shouldn''t be a problem. After Ashton and before Holt did we really have an effective target man? Earnshaw scored plenty.

If we failed at all it was because of poor finishing, rather than not being able to create goals. In Martin and Jackson we have two very good finishers, and in the various midifielders we have plenty of providers.

It may require small adjustments - higher and shorter over defenders for Jackson to run on to, and Martin is no slough at getting into position.

[quote user="Salopian"]Shouldn''t be a problem. After Ashton and before Holt did we really have an effective target man? Earnshaw scored plenty. If we failed at all it was because of poor finishing, rather than not being able to create goals. In Martin and Jackson we have two very good finishers, and in the various midifielders we have plenty of providers. It may require small adjustments - higher and shorter over defenders for Jackson to run on to, and Martin is no slough at getting into position.[/quote]

One hopes that Jackson will come to the Championship with his fairly prolific domestic lower league form rather than his somewhat Heskeyesque international form - 1 goal in 17 matches (full & U-21).

But I am fairky optimistic here given how highly he was rated by his Gillingham team mates.

OTBC

[quote user="Muddy funster"]BlyBly - It seems to me that Surman is a perfect "Plan B" in Hoolahan''s position. He will probably start instead of Lappin on the left but will be able to accommodate that position would it be needed for suspension or injury. Lappin would probably come in then. As for Holt, I think it may well be Martin and Jackson and an attacking midfield in order to assist. Some variant on the 4-3-1-2 or 4-1-2-2-1. But then again I maybe totally wrong and he''ll employ goal machine Nelson as a target man.[/quote]

Interesting.

But Nelson to replace Doc as emergency striker........

Well, what can one say.........? The more things change the more they stay the same?

OTBC