Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Do you think Lambo....

...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.

No don''t think so. It would be criminal to play 3 at the back when we have just been promoted. I think lambo will do what he did when he first came abd make us hard to beat at the start and then gradually unleash the likes if hoolahan,martin,holt etc.

[quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y]

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]

We most certainly do, LD.So let''s pick the team: Ruddy - Whitbread, Nelson & Ward as centre-backs - Jackson lone striker with Holt & Hoolahan behind him.Your turn to select the defensive-midfielders and wing-backs.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]Does look interesting, but can the likes of Martin and Holt drop that far back? Will Hoolahan have the same kind of freedom he had last season if he''s in a ''partnered'' orientated role? Is it fair to assume Drury can play that far forward? And more to the point, even if they could show such versatility, would they flourish to the same sort of extent that we witnessed last season?I''m not questioning the effectiveness of the formation in itself, but if it doesn''t suit our array of players it''s unfortunately not a formation worth adopting (atleast not in the near future).

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]

We most certainly do, LD.So let''s pick the team: Ruddy - Whitbread, Nelson & Ward as centre-backs - Jackson lone striker with Holt & Hoolahan behind him.Your turn to select the defensive-midfielders and wing-backs.[/quote]Hughes and Crofts DM''s, Smiths 1 and 2 at wing backs.It could work though I don''t think our players are bright enough really for it to work.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]Does look interesting, but can the likes of Martin and Holt drop that far back? Will Hoolahan have the same kind of freedom he had last season if he''s in a ''partnered'' orientated role? Is it fair to assume Drury can play that far forward? And more to the point, even if they could show such versatility, would they flourish to the same sort of extent that we witnessed last season?I''m not questioning the effectiveness of the formation in itself, but if it doesn''t suit our array of players it''s unfortunately not a formation worth adopting (atleast not in the near future).[/quote]

Are you suggesting Drury as the left wing-back there, John? It could work.Steve Smith has also figured well in said position for Rangers.

I personally think he will turn to the 1-10 formation, some say we may be vunerable at the back though.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?

The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.

Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]

I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y]
[/quote]

Does look interesting, but can the likes of Martin and Holt drop that far back? Will Hoolahan have the same kind of freedom he had last season if he''s in a ''partnered'' orientated role? Is it fair to assume Drury can play that far forward? And more to the point, even if they could show such versatility, would they flourish to the same sort of extent that we witnessed last season?

I''m not questioning the effectiveness of the formation in itself, but if it doesn''t suit our array of players it''s unfortunately not a formation worth adopting (atleast not in the near future).
[/quote]

Are you suggesting Drury as the left wing-back there, John? It could work.

Steve Smith has also figured well in said position for Rangers.
[/quote]

I posted a similar formation on a post a couple of weeks back with the same reasoning.

The usual suspects came out of the sky and shot it down.(no vision some of them!)

Still think it''s highly possible.

Korey as a wing back/midfielder would make sense as would the new left back (can play midfield).

This world cup has shown how badly 4-4-2 looks now.

German training for his badges and still in touch with German thinking that''s our Lambert.

[quote user="The Butler"]I posted a similar formation on a post a couple of weeks back with the same reasoning.[/quote]Probably where Shyster got the idea from Buttles. He was a rigid 4-4-2 man until then! [;)]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]Does look interesting, but can the likes of Martin and Holt drop that far back? Will Hoolahan have the same kind of freedom he had last season if he''s in a ''partnered'' orientated role? Is it fair to assume Drury can play that far forward? And more to the point, even if they could show such versatility, would they flourish to the same sort of extent that we witnessed last season?I''m not questioning the effectiveness of the formation in itself, but if it doesn''t suit our array of players it''s unfortunately not a formation worth adopting (atleast not in the near future).[/quote]

Are you suggesting Drury as the left wing-back there, John? It could work.Steve Smith has also figured well in said position for Rangers.[/quote]Possibly, i''d like to think Adam will figure in our plans next season, being the player he is.Though what you say about Smith is true, and perhaps relieving both him and Russell Martin of some of the defensive duties they don''t tend to (or in Smiths case, supposedly) look too comfortable whilst performing in will see the better side of their games come to fruition.I also tink the idea fits perfectly for our centre backs. This is with pacey left footed and right footed centre backs in Whitbread (left) and Ward (right), flanking Nelson in the centre. I think their respective pace will help consolodate the lack of any fully fledged full backs, and nulify any attempts by the opposition to exploit Nelson''s lack of pace..My only major reservations are in the forward play, and how our players would fit into it.

It''s okay saying Holt can play in that position behind Jackson so you can play it up to him and he can knock it on to Jackson and also him and Wes can burst through but, that is pretty much the same position Hoolahan played last season just with a partner and Holt just isn''t going to work there.

To play in that position you need to be a creative midfielder or someone with a bit of pace but Holt isn''t that at all.  He is an old fashioned centre forward who relies on power, strength and being in the right place at the right time and being the powerful figure in the penalty area.  He is not creative at all, and he is also to slow.  It would make more sense to play Holt as the loan striker with Jackson and Wes behind him rather than Jackson as the loan striker with Holt and Wes behind him.

Also I don''t think the formation would work as although we would have a strong midfield, leaving three at the back is very risky especially being the team who just came up.  I don''t want a flat 4-4-2 or the diamond but I would prefer a 4-3-1-2 as you can have a tight midfield three who would be in their best positions (Crofts, Fox, Surman), you would then have lots of room for the full backs to get forward, Wes can work in his best position and you still have the two upfront in which I would have Holt and Martin, as Jackson hasn''t earned the right to be in the team yet.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="John"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Shyster"]...is planning on fielding Jackson on his own up front with the likes of Holt playing behind him in one of the offensive midfielder roles in a 3-6-1 formation?The 3-6-1 is a popular formation with German clubs and the fact that Lambert has acquired so many midfielders does suggest a midfield orientated side.Your thoughts on this would be most welcome.[/quote][img]http://www.soccer-training-guide.com/images/3-6-1.jpg[/img]I think we have the personnel to make it work [Y][/quote]Does look interesting, but can the likes of Martin and Holt drop that far back? Will Hoolahan have the same kind of freedom he had last season if he''s in a ''partnered'' orientated role? Is it fair to assume Drury can play that far forward? And more to the point, even if they could show such versatility, would they flourish to the same sort of extent that we witnessed last season?I''m not questioning the effectiveness of the formation in itself, but if it doesn''t suit our array of players it''s unfortunately not a formation worth adopting (atleast not in the near future).[/quote]

Are you suggesting Drury as the left wing-back there, John? It could work.Steve Smith has also figured well in said position for Rangers.[/quote]Possibly, i''d like to think Adam will figure in our plans next season, being the player he is.Though what you say about Smith is true, and perhaps relieving both him and Russell Martin of some of the defensive duties they don''t tend to (or in Smiths case, supposedly) look too comfortable whilst performing in will see the better side of their games come to fruition.I also tink the idea fits perfectly for our centre backs. This is with pacey left footed and right footed centre backs in Whitbread (left) and Ward (right), flanking Nelson in the centre. I think their respective pace will help consolodate the lack of any fully fledged full backs, and nulify any attempts by the opposition to exploit Nelson''s lack of pace..My only major reservations are in the forward play, and how our players would fit into it.[/quote]

Have no fear, John, I don''t think Lambert would consider the 3-6-1 as an initial formation - rather a system to revert to in order to keep results when starting with the diamond or 4-4-2.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]I posted a similar formation on a post a couple of weeks back with the same reasoning.[/quote]Probably where Shyster got the idea from Buttles. He was a rigid 4-4-2 man until then! [;)][/quote]

Buttles eh?

Woof.

OTBC

For me, one of the most exciting parts of looking forward to the new season is wondering just what Lambert will do.

Last season he got it absolutely spot on, which just the right tactics to get us out of the Third division with the players available to him.

This season, with the new signings, it looks as though we may be playing a different formation.

With Lambert''s German coaching and with the success of the German system at the World Cup we could be seeing something very special in the months ahead.

Whatever he does, I think he will take a positive approach. Last season we pressed forward on so many occasions where previously we might have defended.

Of course we will be up against better defenders but I think Lambert, the next Martin O''Neil, will have the team in shape and fully prepared.

An exciting season coming up, I suggest.