Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Where will Darel Russell end up at?

Latest rumours are, that he is signing for Walsall !!!

That''ll teach him to think he is better than he is and that there were loads of clubs who wanted to pay him shed loads of cash.

It was said in another thread that he fannied about, mulling over the club''s contract offer, then when he realised there weren''t any better offers, decided to accept it, only to be told he was too late.Kinda shot himself in the foot there really.

Really surprised he hasn''t sorted anything yet, with the interest in him last season and all. Hope he ends up with a good club, no hard feelings from my point of view.

I really think that Russell found his level last season and Lambert has made th eright decision.

From January onwards the guy was invisible.Koreys best game was in that role against (i think) Yeovil and he looked great!

I don''t hold any hard feelings against Rusty either, but I get the impression he''s only got himself to blame with this. We were riding high on the crest of the title winning wave, he was offered a new contract, he ummed and ahhhhed believing he was too good and the offer was taken away from him.

That is what we are all led to believe anyway.

For all we know, Lambert may have offered a contract that he felt was valid for Russell''s services (a bit lower than Russell would have wanted) and Russell felt it wasn''t enough. Lambert perhaps doing this on the basis that if he signs great, if not we''ve offloaded quite a high earner.

I think Russell could live to regret not signing whatever was offered (unless it was complete garbage) because I think he would have been an integral part of a top half Championship club pushing for promotion. Now we have no idea if anyone wants him, and if they do, are they going to be better than us?

Don''t forget, this is the SECOND time he has done this. He ended up at Stoke because he delayed signing a new contract hoping that better offers would role in. When they didn''t he said he had decided to accept only to be told he was surplus to requirements. A double Judas with a fackless agent!

I think it puts two things into sharp perspective. The first is Russell''s inflated view of his own ability and the second is the various posters who saw his leaving as the signal for the apocalypse. If he''s so damn good why hasn''t he been snapped up?

Russell did a solid job when he got his place back, because he''s pretty good at winning the ball. His performances noticeably tailed off when he suddenly decided that he could start passing it around like a playmaker. He''s a decent League One player, but if we are to develop we need to be replacing the likes of him. As I''ve said elsewhere, I think that Crofts will do really well, not least because he can play as well as destroy (and will get a few goals, I suspect). However, the type of players that have been brought into midfield suggest much more flexibility of shape and formation, which is much needed. Just as Hoolahan only works as the head of a diamond, I would suggest that Russell only works as it''s base.

I don''t understand how people can say he''s found his level. Maybe he has found his position, i for one haven''t seen him play CDM in the Championship.

I''m going to get flamed for this, but it''s true. He owns a home in L.A, and has been out there ever since he left city, and hasn''t been home yet.

So.. maybe he''s trying to get into america? letting agent/manager find hgim a club here? time will tell

Source; close friend of mine is a close friend of his.

I have always liked Rusty, wish we never got rid of him in the first place, but if he didn''t 100% want to stay, then its right he has left......but doesn''t look too good for him club wise at the moment, i really doubt he will end up at a Championship club now, which i guess is where he wants to be....

[quote user="Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno"]I''m going to get flamed for this, but it''s true. He owns a home in L.A, and has been out there ever since he left city, and hasn''t been home yet.

So.. maybe he''s trying to get into america? letting agent/manager find hgim a club here? time will tell

Source; close friend of mine is a close friend of his.[/quote]I would have thought, he could get into an MLS team easily......

[quote user="Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno"]I''m going to get flamed for this, but it''s true. He owns a home in L.A, and has been out there ever since he left city, and hasn''t been home yet.

Source; close friend of mine is a close friend of his.[/quote]

True story, went straight to the USA after the end of the season and spent time with others (including Doc) in Vegas.

[quote user="jeagle"][quote user="Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno"]I''m going to get flamed for this, but it''s true. He owns a home in L.A, and has been out there ever since he left city, and hasn''t been home yet. So.. maybe he''s trying to get into america? letting agent/manager find hgim a club here? time will tell Source; close friend of mine is a close friend of his.[/quote] True story, went straight to the USA after the end of the season and spent time with others (including Doc) in Vegas.[/quote]

For a family reunion is what i read. Wasn''t on the open top bus because he had special permission from Lambert.

Liked him at Norwich and done a good job for the club. Last season in League 1 he was very good and a major reason why the diamond formation worked well!

Would of liked him to have stayed but he paid the price for thinking the grass was greener elsewhere when it looks like it isn''t!

I wish him well but I''m not particularly bothered where he ends up!

Well, personally, I''d rather see Darel Russell sign for us than anyone else.

He''s a strong player to have in the middle of the park and he''s a decent passer. Not someone with great vision but he can knock it around a bit better than perhaps he gets credit for.

I don''t really blame him for having a look round to see what else is about as this would probably be the last big move of his career and although last season went well for him before that he was mucked around a lot. Fair enough it was under different management but his time at the club over the last 2 or 3 years really has been a mixed bag and maybe he considered the idea of a fresh start.

I just hope that we''ve signed a player who can do his job equally as well or better than him because if not then we''ll surely have taken a step backwards in that area.

I still think that Darrel would be an asset to our team. Despite the comments of Beau et al, he played like an on form Michael Carrick against Gillingham, having the ability to spray the ball around the park as well as breaking up the play superbly. Yes it was against Gillingham, but I believe he could still do a similar job in the Championship. Apologies if he looked awful in the other games towards the end of the season, I was unable to attend most of them.

He is a good player and always has been, a good athlete and sticks up for his team mates particulalry the young ones. Korey Smith said just last season what a role model he is to him on and off the field.

Will be missed

As others have said, he has previous for holding out too long expecting a better offer to come along so it is a bit sad he has not learnt his lesson. A reasonable player at lower Championship/top of League 1 level but hardly irreplacable. He did a good enough (when he wasn''t suspended) job for us so I hope he finds himself something though.