Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Who has been Norwich City’s most impressive overseas player?

Plus one for Steeno. For sheer reliability. Matty S was a tower in our promotion year but even so I seem to remember he was capable of some no-shows from time to time.

Nobody went for Etuhu. I wonder why.........................

Steeno and Super Matty Svensson, with the former being the most likely winner I reckon! An absolute tower of strength at the back, and a crossing ability that would make David Beckham blush...

I guess it would be Steeno for me...though to be honest we don''t have a long list of ''impressive'' overseas players to choose from. Our non-reliance on overseas players is interesting when you consider how different it is at a lot of clubs.

The least impressive overseas player would be a much longer list...am not sure where I''d start but De Waard would be right up there.

Etuhu is clearly one of the most successful in recent years but was pretty pants for us.

Jonsson and Helveg would have to go down as the biggest let-downs, came with great expectations and never delivered.

What this thread suggests is that there haven''t really been any. I loved Matty Svensson, but he was here for about eighteen months, during which he played pretty well. If he''s in the top three we might as well be sponsored by UKIP.

Chops, I love the idea that you think Steeno is underrated - pretty much every post on this thread is singing his praises. I didn''t see much of him but the way people talk about him on here you''d think he was Maicon.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]What this thread suggests is that there haven''t really been any. I loved Matty Svensson, but he was here for about eighteen months, during which he played pretty well. If he''s in the top three we might as well be sponsored by UKIP. Chops, I love the idea that you think Steeno is underrated - pretty much every post on this thread is singing his praises. I didn''t see much of him but the way people talk about him on here you''d think he was Maicon.[/quote]

From the way people talk about keelan,he was better than banks!..Have been told though,he did win the top div goalkeeper of the season,in late 70`s, beating shilton into 3rd! (an irish keeper came 2nd,cant remember his name,though i hae heard of him)..So there is one..Not my choice,as if you dont count phillips,who was superb,then my choice would be steeno..He was underatted by the media,not us! ..One who was gonna be a big hir imo,was some guy with an italian soundinng name..Intials were GG,,around the 2000/2001 season,and he scored a good ratio of goals,and was unlucky not to have scored more..very quick and sharp,but then got an injury,he couldnt shake off..So only played a few matches...Shame as if he hadnt been injured,i think he mightve become a star for us!

The best set of ''non-English born'' players we ever had in a team at one time may well have been that of              1959-61 consisting of Sandy Kennon (South Africa), Matt Crowe (Scotland), Errol Crossan (Canada), Jimmy Hill (Northern Ireland) and Bobby Brennan (Eire) - managed by another, Archie Macaulay (Scotland).

OTBC

Of course if you benchmark achievements for the future the best set of ''non- English'' players we ever had at one time may well have been that of Bryan Gunn (Scotland), Mark Bowen (Wales), Efan Ekoku (Nigeria), Jeremy Goss (Born in Cyprus, played for Wales) managed by another, Mike Walker (Wales).

Nobody would seriously benchmark the Third Division....

Would they[:^)]

Barclay Bred - I reckon the Irish keeper was Pat Jennings. Another great entertaining goalkeeper of that era.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Of course if you benchmark achievements for the future the best set of ''non- English'' players we ever had at one time may well have been that of Bryan Gunn (Scotland), Mark Bowen (Wales), Efan Ekoku (Nigeria), Jeremy Goss (Born in Cyprus, played for Wales) managed by another, Mike Walker (Wales).

Nobody would seriously benchmark the Third Division....

Would they[:^)]

[/quote]

As I have posted more than once on this forum, Efan Ekoku was born in England!

That takes your players down to 3 as opposed to my 5, so you don''t really have a ''set'' again I wouldn''t think.

And I also think I am right in saying that my set of 5 also played for us (after reaching an FA Cup Semi-final in 1958-59 and gaining promotion in 1959-60) in the old second division (finishing 4th in 1960-61).

I wonder if we''ll do better than 4th this year?

In our recent state we could hardly do better than benchmark 1960-61 starring my set of 5, now could we.[:O]

[:)]

OTBC 

As I didn''t say Efan Ekoku was born in Nigeria I couldn''t give a toss how many times you have posted it.[:O] For the record Ekoku was born in Manchester but never played for your heroes.

I''ll take your five and raise you two...

Iwan Roberts (Wales), Malky Mackay (Scotland), Phil Mulryne (N. Ireland), Gary Holt (Scotland), Mathias Svensson (Sweden), Jim Brennan (Canada), Paul McVeigh (N.Ireland) Managed by another Irishman Nigel Worthington.

I also think I''m right in saying that my seven were Champions of the Second Division.

I wonder if we''ll repeat that this year?

We would certainly show more ambition aiming for that rather than settling to do better than 4th!

Stick that on yer bench and mark it[:O]

Mathias Svensson, if only because his goal against Blackburn in the Premiership won me £500 on Golden Goals!

Being serious for a moment, I''d go for Steeno, knew how to tackle and could cross a ball from the byline. (Shame Mark Rivers didn''t watch and learn!)

As I didn''t say Efan Ekoku was born in Nigeria I couldn''t give a toss how many times you have posted it.[:O] For the record Ekoku was born in Manchester but never played for your heroes.

I''ll take your five and raise you two...

Iwan Roberts (Wales), Malky Mackay (Scotland), Phil Mulryne (N. Ireland), Gary Holt (Scotland), Mathias Svensson (Sweden), Jim Brennan (Canada), Paul McVeigh (N.Ireland) Managed by another Irishman Nigel Worthington.

I also think I''m right in saying that my seven were Champions of the Second Division.

I wonder if we''ll repeat that this year?

We would certainly show more ambition aiming for that rather than settling to do better than 4th!

Stick that on yer bench and mark it[:O]

[/quote]

Funny that almost the first thing your hero Worthy did on coming to power was to get rid of all those darned useless, lazy, ''real'' furrinners cluttering up the club - and then recruit some Celts from all four corners of the British Isles.

Of course when we got in the Prem and folllowed that by wasting two years parachute payments trying to get back your pal  Nigel, nigel, went for a ''better'' class of ''real'' furrinners who mostly let him down and cost him his job!!!!

Now Lambert''s hardly got any ''real'' furrinners but several from the British Isles! I wonder what he''ll do when we''re promoted to the Prem for next season? Get us in some of those real furrinner German types?

Now. if we were restricted to a team of Angles or Sons of Boadicea then....oooopps......dawg wudda nyam wi supper I reckon.

OTBC 

Except that Iwan Roberts, Malky Mackay, Phil Mulryne and Paul McVeigh were already at the club. Gary Holt was already identified. However Matty Svensson and Jim Brennan were Worthy''s alone. Europe and beyond.............................................................

Why would we want restrictions[:^)]

[8]What we need is a great big melting pot........

Except that Iwan Roberts, Malky Mackay, Phil Mulryne and Paul McVeigh were already at the club. Gary Holt was already identified. However Matty Svensson and Jim Brennan were Worthy''s alone. Europe and beyond.............................................................

Why would we want restrictions[:^)]

[8]What we need is a great big melting pot........

[/quote]

I might have missed something earlier,as again very busy,but Scotland and wales are not over seas? unless you travel aroundthe coast :) ..Then again technically france and europe are no longer over seas as you can walk it..

And technically again no where is over seas to HUCKS as that man is of a higher being