Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Few Points of Interest From The Supporters Groups Meeting.

Held at Carrow Road this evening and hosted by David McNally.Also present were Delia,MWJ and Stefan Phillips.

Firstly despite what you have read in the media we have NOT signed Jackson from Gillingham.No fee has been agreed.I asked if therefore it was untrue that he had flown out to Germany to join the training camp.McNally smiled and said he may or may not be in Germany but he has not put pen to paper.

Darel Russell although offered a new contract by the Club excercised his option to look around as his current contract had expired.Some three weeks ago he decided that he wanted to sign the new contract offered but was told that two new midfielders had been signed and he was therefore now surplus to requirements.Mr McNally spoke highly of Darel and there was no issue with the way he had conducted himself throughout this process.

Fraser Forster was wanted back at Norwich City by Lambert but Newcastle were conducting the proceedings as his parent Club.Lambert wanted a goalkeeper before training resumed and the rest is history.The interesting thing to come out of this was that Mr McNally said the loan fee wanted by Newcastle now turns out to be the equivelant of the total amount paid for four of our new signings.

Ewan Chester the new Chief Scout has now assembled a new network of scouts paid on a retained basis by us includes Stuart McCall( most recently Bradford manager) and Derby legend from the Clough days Alan Durban.Robert Fleck has also joined as a scout.These guys although may have other work in media etc for whoever but only scout for Norwich City.

Our reward for winning the First Division title was £3,500!!!!!!!!!!!!! We started with £25,000 but after solidaritory payments we are obliged to make to relegated clubs that is what was left.

Our good friend "and Smith must score " was there so if i have missed out anything earth shattering i am sure he will add to the thread.

"Darel Russell although offered a new contract by the Club excercised his option to look around as his current contract had expired.Some three weeks ago he decided that he wanted to sign the new contract offered but was told that two new midfielders had been signed and he was therefore now surplus to requirements.Mr McNally spoke highly of Darel and there was no issue with the way he had conducted himself throughout this process."

Interesting.

I hope that the decisions on Darel Russell and Spillane don''t come back to bite them in the bum and that we have another couple of squad members on their way here prior to the transfer window clsoing to cover those losses.If we had of kept hold of them two and Jackson does sign, then I would''ve said that we had assembled a squad as good as any in this league.  As things stand I think that we could still be a few players short of putting in a real serious promotion push.Hopefully there is still some money in the kitty and they are going to push the boat out a little more over the next month or so???

[quote user="thirdlion v2"]"Darel Russell although offered a new contract by the Club excercised his option to look around as his current contract had expired.Some three weeks ago he decided that he wanted to sign the new contract offered but was told that two new midfielders had been signed and he was therefore now surplus to requirements.Mr McNally spoke highly of Darel and there was no issue with the way he had conducted himself throughout this process."

Interesting.[/quote]Interesting indeed,as we could still find ourselves short of combatitive central midfielders in my opinion.

[quote user="city till i die"]Who is Stefan Phillips??[/quote]

He is a director of Norwich City Football Club.

Letting Spillane go makes us weaker cause we haven''t replaced him!

Russell was massive for us and has been a good servant for us. Crofts has got to be something special to step into Russells boots!

Lets hope these decisions don''t hinder us!

I kind-of agree with you grantroederdisaster, r/b still feels like the weak spot. It feels like Spillane is the only leaver not to have been replaced, though I''d have to say that everything else seems to have been covered by decent signings (of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating), and other than r/b we seem to have some good experienced cover across the board, for once. We still haven''t delved into the loan market yet, so perhaps there is a a r/b out there to be signed?

Re: Russell, he was good last season and I was a fan, but do think the right decision was probably made - presumably they expected him to leave, and his leaving probably freed up a fair amount of ££ that helped to get the other signings in. Of course any decision can come back to haunt you, but right now I''d settle for where we are.

[quote user="morty"]Why didn''t I know this was on? I''d have come along.[/quote]That''s why they didn''t tell you Morty! [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="city till i die"]Who is Stefan Phillips??[/quote]

He is a director of Norwich City Football Club.

[/quote]

Isn''t he the bloke the cook supposedly brought in to avoid Archant making the rest of her reign uncomfortable[:^)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Held at Carrow Road this evening and hosted by David McNally.Also present were Delia,MWJ and Stefan Phillips.

Firstly despite what you have read in the media we have NOT signed Jackson from Gillingham.No fee has been agreed.I asked if therefore it was untrue that he had flown out to Germany to join the training camp.McNally smiled and said he may or may not be in Germany but he has not put pen to paper.

Darel Russell although offered a new contract by the Club excercised his option to look around as his current contract had expired.Some three weeks ago he decided that he wanted to sign the new contract offered but was told that two new midfielders had been signed and he was therefore now surplus to requirements.Mr McNally spoke highly of Darel and there was no issue with the way he had conducted himself throughout this process.

Fraser Forster was wanted back at Norwich City by Lambert but Newcastle were conducting the proceedings as his parent Club.Lambert wanted a goalkeeper before training resumed and the rest is history.The interesting thing to come out of this was that Mr McNally said the loan fee wanted by Newcastle now turns out to be the equivelant of the total amount paid for four of our new signings.

Ewan Chester the new Chief Scout has now assembled a new network of scouts paid on a retained basis by us includes Stuart McCall( most recently Bradford manager) and Derby legend from the Clough days Alan Durban.Robert Fleck has also joined as a scout.These guys although may have other work in media etc for whoever but only scout for Norwich City.

Our reward for winning the First Division title was £3,500!!!!!!!!!!!!! We started with £25,000 but after solidaritory payments we are obliged to make to relegated clubs that is what was left.

Our good friend "and Smith must score " was there so if i have missed out anything earth shattering i am sure he will add to the thread.

[/quote]---When this meeting was mentioned here in in earlier thread at least one

of its purposes seemed to be as a forum for discussing supporters''

concerns. Such as the question of whether charging £50 to reprint lost

or stolen season tickets was fair. Indeed it was promised that this

issue would be raised and reported back on.

Based on this report (written by the maker of that promise) not one

issue of supporter concern was raised. Instead everyone sat around

having a nice insider chat about football. No doubt flattering for the

egos of those present but of no practical value.

Now it may be some supporter issues (such as the £50 charge) WERE

discussed. If so, might it not have been a good idea to mention them, if

only to assure fans that their interests were being looked after? Even

if there was no progress made. Of course, if they weren''t raised then

this report is absolutely top-notch.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="morty"]Why didn''t I know this was on? I''d have come along.[/quote]That''s why they didn''t tell you Morty! [:P][/quote]Gits.[:(]

[quote user="morty"]Why didn''t I know this was on? I''d have come along.[/quote]( sniffs haughtily )....It was by invitation only, dear boy.We did notice an unwashed rabble outside with their noses pressed up against the glass but security soon threw them out on their ear ........ ( lol )

[quote user="Smudger"] I hope that the decisions on Darel Russell and Spillane don''t come back to bite them in the bum and that we have another couple of squad members on their way here prior to the transfer window clsoing to cover those losses.

If we had of kept hold of them two and Jackson does sign, then I would''ve said that we had assembled a squad as good as any in this league.  As things stand I think that we could still be a few players short of putting in a real serious promotion push.

Hopefully there is still some money in the kitty and they are going to push the boat out a little more over the next month or so???
[/quote]

It was Russell''s decision to put himself about and not sign a new contract. Seems like he did not get the lucrative deal he was looking for elsewhere so came crawling back to us. As for Spillane, he wanted first team football, he did not want to warm the bench, it was his decision as well. Don''t go blaming Lambert or the Board for these "decisions".

Very interesting stuff, thanks.

On the Jackson front, I guess it''s a matter of the player going the other way reaching an agreement with Gillingham, hence no agreement on fee as yet. I''m sure it will go through though.

Re Russell, I''m disappointed we haven''t retained him. I think he was excellent last season. Crofts is an unknown quantity, let''s hope he''s good! Also, I think it''s possible that we might play a flatter midfield of three this season rather than an out and out diamond.

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

On the Jackson front, I guess it''s a matter of the player going the other way reaching an agreement with Gillingham, hence no agreement on fee as yet. I''m sure it will go through though.

Re Russell, I''m disappointed we haven''t retained him. I think he was excellent last season. Crofts is an unknown quantity, let''s hope he''s good! Also, I think it''s possible that we might play a flatter midfield of three this season rather than an out and out diamond.

[/quote]

Crofts is an unknown quantity to you (and me!!) but not to Paul Lambert who knows a good deal about holding midfield players.   I think you should rest easy on that score.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[/quote]

Crofts is an unknown quantity to you (and me!!) but not to Paul Lambert who knows a good deal about holding midfield players.   I think you should rest easy on that score.

[/quote]

I hope you''re right. My only concern is that our squad may lack a little strength in depth in certain areas, e.g. target man, holding midfielder, right back, wing positions (if Wes were to get injured and we reverted to 4-4-2). I''m confident our first team is good enough to challenge, just not sure what would happen with a couple of injuries.

This is the second time Russell has exercised an option to walk away from the club and the second time he''s going to bitterly regret it. Most he can hope for is to be picked up by some League One no-marks. The guy is a Jonah - his leaving guarantees sucees, happened when he left us first time and when he left Stoke.

Cheerio, you won''t be missed.

I can''t imagine that Gillingham would have let Jackson travel to Germany, if indeed he has, without an understanding of agreement between the respective clubs.

Can''t understand this ''love in'' with Russell. Lambert got the best out of him last year but his past record in the higher league is not great notwithstanding the Roeder era.

Nope, Lambo is the man. He probably had a price to offer Rusty as a squad man and wouldn''t go any higher. Fair enough.

[quote user="GMF"]I can''t imagine that Gillingham would have let Jackson travel to Germany, if indeed he has, without an understanding of agreement between the respective clubs.[/quote]IMO what''s happened is we''ve agreed in principle with Jackson & Gillingham BUT if Cody says bollox it could all fall through.  Cody is City''s answer to Nick Clegg