Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of Davie Ross

The Damned United

Saw the film on television on Sunday night. Did anyone notice that one of the archive clips in the film was of a game at Carrow Road in the 1960s? I recognised the old Barclay Stand with its Watney''s advert instantly! (I''m wondering if the match was Norwich v Derby in April 1969 - the Rams won 4-1 and City manager Lol Morgan was sacked afterwards)

As for the film itself, it''s entertaining but definitely not to be taken seriously! And it would have been nice if they''d made some effort to get the hairstyles right - contrary to popular opinion amongst the younger generation, the scarecrow look wasn''t common amongst footballers in the late 60s and early 70s! Oh, and Johnny Giles was about 5 foot 5 - not the six
footer he was portrayed as in the film!

i noticed that as well - they make more of it in the book - however I believe that the filming was at Chesterfield as that was the most authentic 60''s style ground they could find

[quote user="gary "]i noticed that as well - they make more of it in the book - however I believe that the filming was at Chesterfield as that was the most authentic 60''s style ground they could find[/quote]Aye - I mean some of the backstage bits/offices.

[quote user="thirdlion"][quote user="gary "]i noticed that as well - they make more of it in the book - however I believe that the filming was at Chesterfield as that was the most authentic 60''s style ground they could find[/quote]Aye - I mean some of the backstage bits/offices. [/quote]All I can find is how Saltergate stood in for a few stadia, including Carrow Road:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_United#Filminghttp://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/page/MainFeature/0,,10435~1322573,00.html

The 1974 Charity Shield game had Status Quo''s 1975 Down Down, Deeper and Down as it''s background music. Still we had to be at least a bit grateful that everyone wasn''t wearing that iconic 70''s look - the ''Car wash film'' afro, with the late 60''s loon pants and the mid 60''s Mary Quant dress. The representation of Leeds was a bit pantomime. Mostly their behaviour was unsporting, endless niggles, gamesmanship and imtimidating the ref at every point - something that was rarely done back then. A continuous way of pushing things as far as they could go.Made for an hour or so of entertainment in the same way that Rambo reflects the true picture of the Vietnam war.

[quote user="City1st"]The representation of Leeds was a bit pantomime. Mostly their behaviour was unsporting, endless niggles, gamesmanship and imtimidating the ref at every point - something that was rarely done back then. A continuous way of pushing things as far as they could go.[/quote]That''s not inaccurate though, Revie''s team was where "Dirty Leeds" came from.

But not how it was portrayed in the programme - that was as realistic as was the wrestling on World of Sport at the time.

It was a good film but coming out of it you wondered why Clough was later revered as a great manager as he came across as a total nob and thoroughly objectionable.

Was at the 4-1 home defeat to Derby. Word was that Lol Morgan was watching from the terraces having been told he was going before the match. Was a cold wet midweek game played on a muddy pitch under lights I seem to remember so don''t know if that was reflected in the film? Mind you the memory fades with time.....Am sure I remember Dave MacKay captaining them?

Also seem to remember Derby being 4-0 up at half time at Carrow Road a few years later.

Yes Mackay was the captain at the time, having been signed from Tottenham the previous year. In the film, the actor playing Mackay is one of the few people who actually looks vaguely like the person he''s representing! (although the Don Revie actor really does look scarily like the real thing)

Weds night - 16th April, we were 3 nil down at half time, crowd less

than 10,000We''d been on a bad run, 2 wins out of 12 since Feb, we were stuffed 5-2 away the saturday beforeFunnily enough we won the next two games against Blackburn and CarliseOne bright spot was winning away in the league cup against the binners at the beginning of the season - we scored 4 !

Please God let them never show actors pretending to play professional football again. Ludicrous. Looked like the old Benny Hill sketch.And Michael Sheen made a reasonable fist (!) of the voice, but made Clough look a neurotic, charmless, charisma free twerp. Come to think of it, he did a similar job on Kenneth Williams.

[quote user="ron obvious"]And Michael Sheen made a reasonable fist (!) of the voice, but made Clough look a neurotic, charmless, charisma free twerp. [/quote]

Oh, it was meant to be Clough. Silly me. I thought he had got Roeder off to a tee.

the funniest bit of the film was when derby got kicked off the park by leeds before they played juventus ..after the match there were bloodied players laying on stretchers in the corridors, it looked more like a field hostpital from the crimean war [:D]