Sign in to follow this  
ncfc11

OTJ Centre Back???

Just a thought...

Who here thinks OTJ could peform at centre back... now I know we have 4 Decent Centre Backs in Whitbread, Ward, Nelson and Askou but if we had a slight injury problem later on who here thinks he could do a job in this position?

No idea.A better idea is just get him flogged really.(Thats flogged as in "sold", not as in "lashed with a cat o nine tails")

Actually, now I think about it, I really have no idea what his preferred position actually is lol.

Well he''s a central midfielder by trade isn''t he?

Best just to play him there doubtful we''ll see him again in a Norwich shirt though obvious Lambert doesn''t rate him

he can play centre back. he has before. Personally I think he might be better off there... I don''t know whether he has been able to fulfill his midfield potential because of that knee injury... if that is the case... being a ball playing centre back would make him quite an asset. I reckon he''ll move on, another manager will spot this and he''ll be sold on for quite a few bob.

[quote user="The Chirp"]he can play centre back. he has before. Personally I think he might be better off there... I don''t know whether he has been able to fulfill his midfield potential because of that knee injury... if that is the case... being a ball playing centre back would make him quite an asset. I reckon he''ll move on, another manager will spot this and he''ll be sold on for quite a few bob.

[/quote]Quite a few bob?Really?

You answered your own inane question...."we have 4 Decent Centre Backs"

[quote user="ncfc11"]

Just a thought...

Who here thinks OTJ could peform at centre back... now I know we have 4 Decent Centre Backs in Whitbread, Ward, Nelson and Askou but if we had a slight injury problem later on who here thinks he could do a job in this position?

[/quote]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Chirp"]he can play centre back. he has before. Personally I think he might be better off there... I don''t know whether he has been able to fulfill his midfield potential because of that knee injury... if that is the case... being a ball playing centre back would make him quite an asset. I reckon he''ll move on, another manager will spot this and he''ll be sold on for quite a few bob.

[/quote]Quite a few bob?Really?[/quote]It''s hard to believe... but let me tell you a story.Once upon a time, there was a very up and coming tall welsh midfielder... Let''s call him Owain... He had a lot of potential and ability... that was until that wicked ol mother nature bust his knee so badly that his career went to sleep for a 1000 yrs... (2 years bit who''s counting?). So how will this story end? Well IMO... He needs to go to a forgiving club where he can get a run of games and time to really test that knee. a midtable club in L1 if you will.... There I believe, if OTJ stayed injury free, he could then turn into a decent player more than capable of holding his own for a decent champ club in either midfield or defence. After the mare Norwich suffered at the beginning of last season and the form of our midfield, he didn''t stand a chance. He got good reports from Yeovil where he outshone quite a few opposing midfleilds... (not that it is too difficult in L1).He''s time has been and gone at Norwich - it''s defo not the place for him to kickstart his once budding career... OTJ still has a chance of a Happy ending... he''s not quite on the Jason Jarrett/ Des Hamilton pile of crapness just yet.

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="morty"][quote user="The Chirp"]he can play centre back. he has before. Personally I think he might be better off there... I don''t know whether he has been able to fulfill his midfield potential because of that knee injury... if that is the case... being a ball playing centre back would make him quite an asset. I reckon he''ll move on, another manager will spot this and he''ll be sold on for quite a few bob.

[/quote]Quite a few bob?Really?[/quote]It''s hard to believe... but let me tell you a story.Once upon a time, there was a very up and coming tall welsh midfielder... Let''s call him Owain... He had a lot of potential and ability... that was until that wicked ol mother nature bust his knee so badly that his career went to sleep for a 1000 yrs... (2 years bit who''s counting?). So how will this story end? Well IMO... He needs to go to a forgiving club where he can get a run of games and time to really test that knee. a midtable club in L1 if you will.... There I believe, if OTJ stayed injury free, he could then turn into a decent player more than capable of holding his own for a decent champ club in either midfield or defence. After the mare Norwich suffered at the beginning of last season and the form of our midfield, he didn''t stand a chance. He got good reports from Yeovil where he outshone quite a few opposing midfleilds... (not that it is too difficult in L1).He''s time has been and gone at Norwich - it''s defo not the place for him to kickstart his once budding career... OTJ still has a chance of a Happy ending... he''s not quite on the Jason Jarrett/ Des Hamilton pile of crapness just yet. [/quote]Personally, I think we were sold a dud. Potential doesn''t win you football games. I also think that he''s at an age now where he has run out of time. Okay, he did well at Yeovil, then what? He clearly didn''t do well enough to threaten to break into our team in Division 3, and that fact alone really doesn''t bode well for the lad. If the ability and confidence was genuinely there, then he would have come back from Yeovil and would be challenging for a place.I think that he was the wrong player bought for the wrong reasons. I would bet that he was bought based on his physical size, which the manager at the time obviously considered important, to clog our way out of Division 3. I think he will find it very difficult to fit in at a team that plays any kind of good football.

OTJ has never really had the opportunity to show what he can do in any position since joining due to managerial changes and injuries. In the harsh world of proffesional football I fear we will never know if he would have been the next Julian Brellier or on the up side Damien Francis as he will soon be on his way.

The thing you have to ask yourself is why hasn''t he had a chance under Lambert?  Not good enough and doesn''t work hard enough is the answer.  He spent a month on loan where he played well supposedly, came back and couldn''t get near the team.  Cant be because of injuries because he managed 5 or 6 games there on the bounce.  He is not part of the first team plans, we wont be good enough to have a square peg like him, filling a round hole.  I would take any offer we can get so it saves us having to pay his wages and terminating his contract.  Also i would bet my last fiver on him being injured and missing most of the season, AGAIN....

Funnily enough this is where he found himself tonight, played ok difficult to say in a friendly

[quote user="Brian Badonde I "]Funnily enough this is where he found himself tonight, played ok difficult to say in a friendly[/quote]

When you say played ok then in a friendly, did you go tonight?

Soz, just read your other thread, so you did go tonight then, not really a useful summary of what he did tonight though.  banks banyway...

Solid without standing out but was playing against inferior opposition.

Didn''t look out of place if midfield is his preferred position.

Might be worth keeping then if Ward is still carrying a knock, Whitbread has been injury prone and it seems like Askou is on his way as he wasn''t in the Germany Squad or last nights squad.

Squad player in my opinion who might have found his new position at centre back...played last night there and against Kings Lynn. Definatly got some height and personally i prefer a tall centre back!