Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Just an Impression

When PL arrived with us last season he bemoaned our lack of physical fitness and set about doing his best to improve things.

This season my impression is that PL is putting fitness first, and while I have had to rely on photographs and would like the comments of people who have seen our players live, it looks to me as though players are slimmed down, especially Martin and Nelson.

For players like Nelson and Martin half a yard of pace would make them 20 per cent better players.

For me, the results are not too important, it is about the physical preparation then increasing game time and I believe PL is going to have our boys in peak condition for Watford.

I am prepared to bet our squad will be fitter than they have ever been and with a busy well structured game programme, increasingly match fit on top.

I was interested in the comment about ''heavy legs'' in the match report. Legs take 72 hours to recover I believe and PL is banking the miles and fitness into the players legs to raise the fitness platform without over-stepping into injury.

Be positive everyone. Does any of this tally with what some supporters have actually seen?

I haven''t seen them live, but I believe what you''re saying is accurate. He understands that fitness is vital in football, and as we could see at the beginning of last season, his Colchester side were streets ahead of our side fitness wise compared with Gunn''s pre-season preparations.If we''re as fit and ready as that Colchester side were for their first game last season I''ll be very happy because I''m sure it will mean we are ahead of other teams and hopefully we''ll be able to get points on the board to get a bit of a headstart.

I have seen the Dereham and Stevenage games and I think you are correct in your comments.

Certainly there''s not too much fat about!!

We won a lot of our games last year, I feel, through superior fitness and it is even more important at this next level.

I hate to labour the point but as I said on another thread, I''m a little worried about Holt who was impressive at Dereham but then pulled up with an injury just before half time. I also hope that Ward will be fit in time for the big ko.

Fitness pays off late in games. The US National Team scores an inordinate amount of goals late in games as much as anything because we wear the other side down. NCFC seemed to be doing the same thing last season.

It''s especially helpful at road games because the adrenaline rush of the home support is not there so the players have to have that extra "kick" already in the tank.

The OP wished we were in Leeds''s or Swindon''s position late last season. Now he seems to have come to his senses. Welcome back.

I mentioned this during last season Houston.  The following table shows how are league goals were divided between the six 15 minute sections of games. Obviously you have to allow for an average of 3/4 mins added on time but even so these stats are an eye-opener. The goals we scored late in games, when the opposition were tired, jumps out at you!

SCORING TIMES
0-15 minGF7
GA11
16-30 minGF11
GA11
31-45 minGF15
GA7
46-60 minGF10
GA5
61-75 minGF17
GA4
76-90 minGF29
GA9

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I mentioned this during last season Houston.  The following table shows how are league goals were divided between the six 15 minute sections of games. Obviously you have to allow for an average of 3/4 mins added on time but even so these stats are an eye-opener. The goals we scored late in games, when the opposition were tired, jumps out at you!

SCORING TIMES
0-15 min GF 7
GA 11
16-30 min GF 11
GA 11
31-45 min GF 15
GA 7
46-60 min GF 10
GA 5
61-75 min GF 17
GA 4
76-90 min GF 29
GA 9

[/quote]Fascinating stuff! Any idea how this relates into points gained (winners and equalisers) scored in the last 15 minutes? It''d be interesting to see where we''d have ended up last season without scoring all those late goals.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

SCORING TIMES
0-15 min GF 7
GA 11
16-30 min GF 11
GA 11
31-45 min GF 15
GA 7
46-60 min GF 10
GA 5
61-75 min GF 17
GA 4
76-90 min GF 29
GA 9

[/quote]Very interesting. [Y]And one goal stands out in particular:[img]http://thewrightmemorabilia.com/shop/images/Martin-Norwich-Leeds.jpg[/img]

[quote user="manchesteryellow"]Fascinating stuff! Any idea how this relates into points gained (winners and equalisers) scored in the last 15 minutes? It''d be interesting to see where we''d have ended up last season without scoring all those late goals.[/quote]As I had nothing better to do, I''ve trawled through all our results and goal times on Soccerbase, and taking out all goals scored and conceded between the 76th and 90th minutes we''d have finished with... 81 points.

Good post, that is what pre season games are for, the training ground is for the skills and passing, the trips away are for the bonding and the games are for the fitness.

We will need the fitness levels next year.

I think we scored quite a few late winners/equalisers the year we won the Championship as well.