Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Adam Drury Testimonial?

I''m presuming next summer there will be one, to mark 10 years of service by Adam Drury to the club, having joined way back in March 2001.

Thoroughly deserved, for an unbelievably consistent player, who''s shown us great loyalty other the years. It''s a testament to his capabilities that a host of players have tried to force him out of the side, and been unable to.

Any suggestions as to who we could play? You''d assume P''boro as they''re the only other team he''s played for? However, other teams could come into it, such as Middlesboro'' where he scored withot doubt his most famous goal. Of course, AD himself may have a preference?

We don''t have many testimonials in this day and age, so here''s hoping Drury lasts another 6 months at least!

if it costs the club money to hold a testimonial do you think Adam might be "free transferred" 1 day before his 10th year?

To be effectively ''written off'' by the club, only to come back and prove himself as one of the best (if not the best) player of this generation for us over a prolonged amount of time is a fantastic achievement.

The way we''re going he may well end up with quite a few titles to his name come the end of his career! ;)

Testimonials were OK when players were paid small wages.

This guy has earnt 10,0000''s in his career from NCFC.

Do you expect a testimonial from your employer?

[quote user="Dogger "]He was also here as a kid but got released, fully deserves one[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I didn''t think he was released. I thought he left and went to Peterborough at the same time that Kit Carson moved across.

I always thought Testimonials were a given after 10 years. Fleming had one? He made a good living off the club. Why should it be different for Drury?

I wouldn''t be set against receiving a bench...seems the done thing these days! Although given the financial constraints, a deckchair would do...

And anyway, generally these things see all/most proceeds go to charity, so it''s not like the players getting further profit from it?

Putting it into context, if I spent most/all my career at one place then I''d expect a bit of a jolly when it was getting towards the end!

*Not saying Drury''s near retirement age at all here, as I think he could (fitness providing) stay here for a good 3 or 4 more years at least!

[quote user="CanaryJames"]To be effectively ''written off'' by the club, only to come back and prove himself as one of the best (if not the best) player of this generation for us over a prolonged amount of time is a fantastic achievement. The way we''re going he may well end up with quite a few titles to his name come the end of his career! ;)[/quote]

I dont think it was a case of being written off by the club but one of the Youth Scheme getting a case of cost cutting during or post Chase (can''t remember the exact timing). We also lost Davis (the ex Spurs, Everton midfield player) and Ellington (now with Stoke) who also went to Peterborough from us.

That''s true, but you''d have to assume that when cutting costs we kept what we perceived to be our best youth assets, and as such Drury wasn''t considered worth keeping.

Such a shame that the cost-cutting led to us losing several very good players, including the likes of Simon Davies.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]I always thought Testimonials were a given after 10 years. Fleming had one? He made a good living off the club. Why should it be different for Drury? I wouldn''t be set against receiving a bench...seems the done thing these days! Although given the financial constraints, a deckchair would do...[/quote]

Norwich City Football Club Directors get a free ticket into the Directors Box for life after ten years service. Depending on age, of course, but this freebee could be worth £20,000 tax free. Drury, a hard worker, probably paid below the market rate (as do most loyal servants) definately should have a testimonial and I would suggest Celtic as they bring a lot of fans and have links with the Club.

I think it''s less about the money (probably half would be donated to charity) and more about rewarding the loyalty and consistency for a player in a position which hardly gets recognised outside ashley cole

You can count on one hand the amount of bad games he has had during his whole career here, equally the same with the goals he has scored!