Sign in to follow this  
BIC

Depressing Worthy titbit

I''ve never been one to harp on about having contacts at the club or knowing any inside information, so please take this as I heard it - I''ve got a friend who''s brother works somewhere Worthy goes regularly (don''t want to mention exactly for obvious reasons).   Apparently after Saturday''s defeat he was despondent and apparently claimed he doesn''t know what do do to turn things around, as morale in the dressing room is apparently at rock bottom.  He also feels that a million quid to spend in January isn''t enough to bring someone in who''ll really make a difference. 

I desperately hope this is''t true. I think we do have the players to get enough wins to survive and Worthington is by no means out of options. At the back we''ve got Docherty, Shackell and Helveg, and god knows, at the risk of unsettling the back line, we could do with a change or two there.

In midfield we''ve got Safri, Mulryne, Bentley and McVeigh who all offer options to the Holt-Francis axis (+Jonsson) and although up front, we''re not exactly flooded with talent, we have got Jarvis and Henderson, despite the latter''s poor showings on the right. At least Jarvis is certainly worth a try. It would have been nice to see him come on on Saturday, but of course he wasn''t on the bench. 

I was as depressed as everyone else on Saturday, but its still early to be writing us off, as many of you (and possibly Worthy) seem to have done. A couple of wins on the trot would change everything very quickly and a million quid can do a lot, as long as it''s well spent. Some come on Worthy, and everyone else. WE CAN STAY UP, but it means heads not going down as soon as the opposition score.

Is this friends brother a samaritan or a head shrink? Becuase that''s the only people Worthy would be saying that kind of stuff to......Anyone with a decent knowledge of football would tell you tha £1 million doesn''t buy you a world-beater anymore

hiya barclay

i don''t doubt your contacts, i think anyone who might have met worthy after saturday would have heard the same sort of thing - football after all is just another job and i expect we have all worked in places where morale isn''t good for one reason or another, where football is different from an office or factory is that it is so public - and if worthy is wise, he will keep a lot of what he is feeling to himself or people he can trust totally

worthy shouldn''t be totally despondent, for any problem there are solutions, at least he acknowledges there is a problem!  Buying someone is is not the answer, we did that in the summer and most of those ''solutions'' haven''t played!!  Worthy needs to address the fundamental problem, which is we lack class at this level, nothing we can do about that instantly if we don''t have the money - secondly he has to put hand on heart and ask himself is he doing all he can to address our weaknesses, according to almost everyone on this board, and most city fans, he isn''t!  We all have different opinions as to who should be playing, but worthy is the person who has to make the ultimate decision

i am very disappointed with the past three or four games, it is frustrating thinking you know better than the manager (which most of us think we do!) but we don''t have all the knowledge he has and he has to sort it out

hopefully training is taking longer than the usual 3 hours a day this week and the whole squad are working on our shortcomings.  Changes have to be made after charlton, whether worthy finally does this or not we will have to wait and see, but i think he knows he will have to

Gazza

Call me naive but I certainly hope that City training sessions are a lot longer than 3 hours. I know that we are not like continental teams when it comes to training but 3hrs a day - on the money they are on??? No wonder that the club is in trouble when all they do is a couple of hours then pop home for a long nap before heading off to their favourite watering hole for a night out!

Come to think of it, I now understand what Bentley was up to when he did his own version of the "Have it" advert - it was not to have a joke, it was a subtle comment on the current state of City''s passing abilities and the manager''s love of the hoof it and hope strategy!!!

Barclay in Chile - Someone at my work heard the same depressing bits from Worthy from a reliable source too. I hope they can rise about that this weekend.

Quote : hopefully training is taking longer than the usual 3 hours a day this week and the whole squad are working on our shortcomings.

I have been down to Colney a couple of times and I would say the training sessions last 2 hours max! It may be 3 hours this season but I think it should be more. I, like you, would hope they are working ALOT harder than usual in preparation for the MUST WIN game on Saturday.

[quote]Barclay in Chile - Someone at my work heard the same depressing bits from Worthy from a reliable source too. I hope they can rise about that this weekend. Quote : hopefully training is taking longer...[/quote]

jenny

i must have gone on a day they had been really dire then, i have to admit i didn''t time it, but i think it is safe to say they are not there all day as you can spot them in the city shopping or having hair cuts - my son used to work at tuckswood mcdonalds and they would pile in there around lunchtime (2-3 pm)  enough said!! 

so much for work rate!

[quote]Gazza Call me naive but I certainly hope that City training sessions are a lot longer than 3 hours. I know that we are not like continental teams when it comes to training but 3hrs a day - on the mon...[/quote]

plastic scouser

re the bentley observation

you may well be right, we certainly have a very green pitch in the midfield area for this time of year   lol

Training time?

Iwan''s book blew the lid on that.

Whether Iwan himself undertrained - or whether this was representatiive of the team as a whole, training days are short days. And a training week is a short week.

Shouldn''t this be a bit more seriously looked at then? I mean if the club are serious about staying up and the players are motivated by more than the thought of all that cash, then why on earth are they not actually doing some hard time on the training pitch? It beggars belief that they are piling into McDonalds as well given the high profile of Delia and her special training regime for the food that they allegedly eat...

And as for the Bentley suggestion I made earlier I am certain now that this was no "joke" but really was a comment on Worthy and his tactics. Good on him for it - shame we all thought that it was a harmless lark at first...

God, I hope so. But much as I like us being well fired up, I want to see a bit of artistry on the pitch as well. Certainly it wouldn''t do any harm for Worthy to be totally on the ball as well.