Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Some thoughts from last night

Ok yes I know its only a friendly and you can''t tell anything from these games but since was the first time i''ve seen a few of our players thought i would share my thoughts on what I witnessed.

Fistly, on balance, I am slightly less confident having seen us play last night than I was beforehand. Not because we were spectacularly bad or anything, nor because we lost, but more because I think we are still a way away from being a settled unit and we now only have a couple of weeks remaining til the season kicks off.

The main concern centres around the defence. Ward is clearly a way off being properly match fit, Whitbread missed the game again last night. Nelson did well to be fair but I have my doubts about him at champ level and I am firmly in the "have real doubts about Russell Martin" camp yet he remains our only senior right back and looks certain to start against Watford. It may all click in the next couple of friendlies but at present, despite the lack of goals in the last tow games, that is where i think our real problems lie.

An interesting second (less serious concern) is how the midfield will work if we line up with the team i think we will. I think lambert has already setlled on his first choice midfield being Fox, Crofts, Surman and Hoolahan. They have played as a unit in both of the friendlies this week. They all look good players. Technically Surman, Fox and Wes are excellent. I have no doubt that this season we will play some good passing stuff and there will be nice intricate moves and triangles galore. Everything goes through Fox at the base of the diamond and through Hooly at the tip. However (1) the fact that Fox, Hooly and Surman are all not players who really put their foot in means that Crofts (or I guess Korey) role in this team is absolutely crucial. He is the only real ball winner and will have a lot on his plate. More noticeable, however, last night was how narrowly they played. If anything, these four play a more narrow diamond than we had last season. Surman does not stay wide and nor does Crofts. The result is we ended up often having 3 centre mids. That is fine if you have full backs bombing on or strikers pulling out wide but at times last night we didn''t and kept having to play through the middle with little success.

As to the game scoreline was a fair reflection of the game. First half we were pretty poor to be honest. No grip on the midfield at all althouygh we did create two very good chances, one of which was spurned by Crappin, the other saw a good goaline clearnace from Martin. They looked lively, especially the black guy up front (Tomlin I think) and got quite a lot of joy down the right flank against lappin and the inexperienced Discooo junior. He got caught out a few times I thought but did ok and the experience will serve him well. Goal was a scrappy affair and the defence should have done better. Second half the midfield looked a lot better and Daggers had to play more on the break but they had the better chances, mainly coming from crosses and headers.

Decent enough tempo to the game. They flew in with a few tackles I thought were uncalled for, one in particular on Korey and another which sparked  abit of a dust up which resulted in Martin lifting one of their players off the ground by his neck! Would have seen a card in a proper game.

Comments on players:

Ruddy - did everything asked of him. Couldn''t do much about the goal. Kicking out of hands not great but a good, reassuring presence in the goal.

Francombe - not great at right back, mainly as kept lumping it up to nobody and he''s better than that. Looked good on the ball at CB second half but a bit suspect in the air.

OTJ - one of pnly a couple in the first half team to come out with much credit. Think he could have a future as a CB. Got caught out a couple of times but generally looked composed and pretty decent on the ball. If a toss up between him and Gill I would now keep him rather than Gill.

Ward - needed the run out and he needs a lot more over the next couple of weeks. Good talker at the back. Nice and composed on the ball but was blowing out of his a**e after about 20 minutes and found their striker a handful.

Gordon - tough game for him, up against their best player in Green (although not that good IMHO) and got bullied a bit at times but stuck at it and did ok.

Gill - ineffective. I know its only a freidnly but these are the types of games where he ahs an opportunity to make an impression and the only impression he made is that he does f**k all. At the base of the diamond first half. may as well not have been there.

Lappin - Equally innefective. Don''t recall him doing anything of note other than missing a good chance created by Jackson just after they had scored.

Smith - quiet by his standards but then we didn''t really have a foothold on the game whilst he was on the pitch.

Macnamee - best of the bunch first half. Looked lively and what threat we did have came from him picking the ball up and running at people. Pinged in a few good crosses.

Martin - didn''t do much of note other than get increasingly frustrated at some of the tackles being put in by Dagenham, got revenge a few times and at one point grabbed one of them round the throat lifting him off the ground.

Jackson - some promise I thought. Touch was better than I expected and makes some good runs down the channels. Little service though.

Steer - couple of good saves. Like the look of him although they did get quite  afew headers at goal in the second half. not sure if down to good crosses or him not coming out for them but definitely a keeper of some promise.

Drury - looked solid when came on but can''t really remember him doing much.

Martin - average.

Nelson - did quite well and reassuringly looked better than the other Cbs when he came on. Distribution still crap though.

Fox - like the look of him. Sits at the base of the diamond and always available for the ball. Technically good. Everything went though him.

Crofts - did ok. Not quite what i was expecting as not a holding midfielder. As I have said above he has a big, big job in this line up.

Surman - silky on the ball but quite quiet.

Hooly - looked sharp although did get caught on the ball a few times. Him, Fox and Surman will link up well but may overpass. Suffered a bit because we had no out and out strikers on when he was on the pitch!

Johnson - did quite well and what threat we did have secodn half came from his runs. Looks a bit stronger and possibly half a yard quicker.

Dawkin - nothing of note to report.

Thank you Jim - very thorough, it''s much appreciated.

I know everyone says not to get too worried because it''s only a friendly but....I am slightly. We don''t seem likely to score do we. We don''t seem to be conceding much which is a bonus, but scoring is obviously very important. I know Holt will make a difference but......he''ll have to make a lot of difference won''t he?

Well disagree with some of your comments.

Thought Gill was our best palyer in first half.  Was comfortable on the ball and distributed it well.

Martin and Jackson we shite, and looked way off the pace Oli was the best striker and Dawkins was bright, although we didnt seem to want to shoot just pass across the box.  Mcnamme was ok had some bright points.

Overall they could''ve had 3 where we didn''t create anything of note.

If we play like that against Newcastle and Everton we will be hammered but i expect to see a team that resembles the one that will start against Watford starting.

To be fair, Dagenham are a league 1 side, it''s not like we lost to a non-league team. Plus, we''re their biggest pre-season friendly (assuming Arsenal XI means their kids) so they were going to be more up for it than us.

We''re worrying about fitness. The next few games I expect to see us step up the performance.

Even after Dereham game it looked like Fox was being lined up for the holding role as Lambert spent a lot of time talking to him about what he was doing right/wrong etc and now sounds like that''s continuing through the friendlies. I wouldnt be disappointed with this as Fox imo has always been impressive and is very much one of ''Lamberts players'' who he seems to be getting to play how he used to. Crofts also looked good as a more attacking midfielder (though that is only based on 45mins!).A midfield of Fox, Crofts, Surman and Hoolahan sounds good to me, technically all very good, great vision for passes and comfortable on the ball. Having the signings sorted out so early in the season could turn out to be very important as a complete change in the midfield from last season will take some time to gel.

[quote user="paulo79"]

Thought Gill was our best palyer in first half.  Was comfortable on the ball and distributed it well.

Martin and Jackson we shite, and looked way off the pace Oli was the best striker and Dawkins was bright, although we didnt seem to want to shoot just pass across the box.  Mcnamme was ok had some bright points.

If we play like that against Newcastle and Everton we will be hammered but i expect to see a team that resembles the one that will start against Watford starting.

[/quote]

Fair enough, football is all about opinions but i thought Gill was sh*t and did nothing!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]

Fair enough, football is all about opinions but i thought Gill was sh*t and did nothing!

[/quote]That opinion really wouldn''t come as a massive surprise to me lol.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Fistly, on balance, I am slightly less confident having seen us play last night than I was beforehand. Not because we were spectacularly bad or anything, nor because we lost, but more because I think we are still a way away from being a settled unit and we now only have a couple of weeks remaining til the season kicks off. [/quote]

While this is a case for slight concern it''s basically a new team and it will take time for them to get used to working together. We still have 3 more friendlies if the situation is the same when we''ve played Everton then I would start to worry. We play these games for this exact resaon.

Good write up though. I like the thought of a cultured holding midfielder. More of a deep lying playmaker in the mold of Pirlo than a destructive player liek Makelele. What is Fox''s range of passing like? Was he always making shorter passes or was his head up looking for the more advanced players making runs?

Davo

The only player making runs in the second half was Oli, and it was Hoolahan that kept picking him out - the passes beating their right back.

Whilst I salute those who went and I am grateful for their informative views, that wasn''t the side who''ll face Watford.

Then, and only then, will we know for sure.

The funniest thing was the chav family that turned up halfway through the first half with a pushcahir, and the bloke in the rangers top, nowrich scarf and union flag shorts that was slaughtered and nearly fell onto the pitch (only the metal bar behind the goal kept him up).  That got the biggest cheer of the night from our fans lol.

Was like a scence from shameless

After last season I''m not bothered about friendlies at all anymore but, there is a few things that worry me.

Firstly, the first choice midfield seems to be Crofts, Fox, Hoolahan and Surman.  Korey Smith was our best midfielder last year other than possibly Hoolahan and all of a sudden he has been dropped for a League 1 player!  I know Korey could well start against Watford still, but this midfield seems to be played everytime which does strongly suggest it is first choice.

Also the fitness.  Ward has only played 45 minutes and probably needs to play every friendly left now.  Whitbread is still injured.  Holt, Hughes and Smith are out.  And by the sounds of it Surman is of the pace a little aswell after only play 9 games last season.

The Newcastle and Everton friendlies now seem very important.

Interesting what Lambert said about fitness in the latest interview on the front page. As for Ward only playing 45 minutes I wouldn''t look too much into it as pretty much everybody is only getting a half each match for fitness purposes.

Lambert went on to say that as of Saturday we can expect to see some 90 minute players. I wouldn''t be looking too much into how fit players are until Newcastle imho when we should see some full matches for players.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Korey Smith was our best midfielder last year other than possibly Hoolahan and all of a sudden he has been dropped for a League 1 player! 

[/quote]

Korey Smith''s only real experience in football is as a League 1 player. He still has it all to prove, same as with many of the others.

Anyway, I don''t think there''s much point in drawing conclusions from pe-season. Two weeks tonight we''ll start getting a better idea of what to expect.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

Korey Smith was our best midfielder last year other than possibly Hoolahan and all of a sudden he has been dropped for a League 1 player! 

[/quote]

Korey Smith''s only real experience in football is as a League 1 player. He still has it all to prove, same as with many of the others.[/quote]

Lambert may have already made up his mind about Korey and wants to see what cover he has for the position.  Friendlies mean little, especially as we have new signings to fit into the team.  Personally I''m happy to keep the faith until after the Watford game.  I''ll prepare two banners, one proclaiming Lambert as the new messiah and the other calling for his head, just in case. [;)]

Thanks for the write-up, Jim [:)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

OTJ - one of pnly a couple in the first half team to come out with much credit. Think he could have a future as a CB. Got caught out a couple of times but generally looked composed and pretty decent on the ball. If a toss up between him and Gill I would now keep him rather than Gill.

[/quote]

I started a post the other day about him at centre back...Glad to see someone else is thinking the same!!!

[quote user="ncfc11"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I started a post the other day about him at centre back...Glad to see someone else is thinking the same!!!

[/quote]I remember that, your argument is plausible, although you could also argue that the Doc would be a good CB too! Anyone else stating to have reservations about Whitbread? Granted he hasn''t had a lot of match practice, but when he has played, he''s hardly set the pitch alight, and most of the time he''s crocked.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Are you serious?

Tomlin ran rings around him yesterday, he couldn''t make a pass to save his life and was out of position on a number of occassions.

He has always been good on the ball, originally that was his endearing feature - and quite surprising considering his stature.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And i am with you on this,he was crap unless you consider passing and shuffling the ball sideways and backwards no more than five yards "comfortable on the ball and distributed it well".

I know Smith isn''t proved at Championship and is therefore a League 1 player and I havn''t seen Crofts or Fox yet but they have had longer careers and been in league 1.  However it does not take a football genius to see that Korey Smith was a class and a half above League 1 level last season.  IMO he has to be played.  I''m telling you now IF he is given a chance next season he will be a class above Championship level too.

Anyone else stating to have reservations about Whitbread? Granted he hasn''t had a lot of match practice, but when he has played, he''s hardly set the pitch alight, and most of the time he''s crocked.

Yes and I have done since last season!

If hes as good as some are making out then he''d of ousted either the Doc or Nelson last season!

The continual injury problems are worrying as well, seems like he could be another Jon Kennedy and we must remember hes been at the club since January!

Releasing our best defender, the Doc could prove a very silly move!

As for last night - not great but then again we beat Premeirship Wigan last pre season then we all know what happened a week later!

Friendlies are glorified training sessions!