Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Drury

I cannot believe everyone all of a sudden thinks Drury turned into a bad player overnight.  He is one of our most consistent players and just because he picked up an injury and has taken a couple of matches to get back on form is no reason to all of a sudden start talking about dropping him.

When fully fit he is an outstanding defending and attacking left back...and you all know it as well....don''t be so short-sighted

i have seen a few post mentioning the huckerby factor.

i feel that too, playing hucks on the wing has left drury very exposed, hucks is the sort of player that is going to back track all day long. but saying that i totaly agreed at the start about putting him out on the wing

1) he say''s it''s his favorite position

2) he always drifts out that side but it''s been shown that he can get marhed out of a game very easily but least it was worth ago

getting back to the drury point i feel he is our best bet for the left back apart from only a couple of times not many have skinned him down the wing this season but i feel he gets draged out of position too easily.

I agree that he hasn''t turned into a bad player overnight, and I''d never question his effort or commitment to the cause, but his tendency to stand way off players is sometimes being punished in the Prem as players have the ability to be much more devastating with whatever option they choose, whether that''s crossing, taking him on or running into space and then shooting or passing.  He just needs to stick a bit (well, a lot!) closer to his man to be even more effective, IMO.

My concern is this - Drury is injured so Brennan plays.  Brennan played pretty damn well in my opinion, but the next game a clearly unfit Drury reappears.   What does that tell you about the coaching staff, letting a player that isn''t fit play?   I thought we had a high demand for fitness?   What message does it present to Brennan - thanks for filling in, but a half fit Drury is better than you.

The problem is not Drury.  The problem is the manager and his staff that seem unable to pick the right players at the right times.

I agree as well...sometimes poor management decisions turn against the player unfairly...such as playing Helveg at right wing out of position or playing Henderson at the time when we needed to hold on to the ball...

Poor Management decisions, not necessarily the players fault, who we are normally quick to pounce on.

and I often agree with you Fatboy, and Zipper, and Banaman, and NavMan, and Susie, and DDiM, and Gazza, and Wiz, and Yankee, hang on I often agree with everyone  

That''s the beauty of the board I find.  I have a great opinion on something, stick it on here, someone else offers there opinion looking at it another way and I see it from their point of view too, I love this place   Just wish Nigel did too,

I think no one place in the side should be automatic. Opinions will vary but Drury''s form has certainly dipped and should be reminded their are people there to take his place if need be. Injured or not it makes no difference the best players should be on the pitch if others are not up to scratch.

I agree he is more expose with Huckeby''s "energy conservation" but personaly I cannot see him being stuck on the wing to much longer as it halfs the threat he normally posseses up front, although this leaves the other ST isolated.

Midfield need to cover him any how. This has become only too apparent in the Everton, BBurn and Charlton games!

[quote]and I often agree with you Fatboy, and Zipper, and Banaman, and NavMan, and Susie, and DDiM, and Gazza, and Wiz, and Yankee, hang on I often agree with everyone That''s the beauty of the board I f...[/quote]

stevenage

come on now, we aren''t expecting miracles, the coaching staff are just coming to terms with what a ball is, you don''t expect them to be able to use a computer as well do you, much less care too much what the mere fans think?

we are all safe on here pmsl

I agree with Susie B - Drury needs to stay closer to his man - he has been caught to many times this season marking fresh air- the only way to play in the Prem is to stick to your marked man like glue - this went totally wrong on Saturday - and also in several other games this season. I agree he is a great player - but he also has alot of learning to do.

Drury reminds me of Ian Culverhouse - apart from having a left peg of course.   And Culverhouse was one of the most underrated players that NCFC has ever known - at least in my lifetime.  Not flashy, cultured, good awareness of space, a good reader of the game, and a timely, not a rash, tackler.  If we stay up, Drury''s place in the team would not be in doubt.  A measure of the player.

(Mind you, I guess nor would Gary Holt''s, so that''s that theory blown out of the window)