Sign in to follow this  
Jarroldstander

Who's ever flown to a City game?

I remember our ''old friend'' Mr Chase laying on a plane to fly from Norwich to Manchester in order to watch the League cup quarter final at Bolton in 94/95. We were probably the favourites to win this as we were the premier league side to Bolton''s division one. However after manager Deehan left out Robins in favour of playing Rob Newman up front  (alongside Sheron?) we managed to lose one-nil.

sitting among a plane-load of pi$$ed off Norwich fans on the runway at Manchester airport waiting to fly back, the front doors opened to a chrous of boos and jeers as Deehan and the players occupied the first few rows.......minutes later those boos escalated as a certain A.Brazil, who had been commentationg on the match boarded the plane and had to walk the entire length of the plane to take his seat!!

Doesn''t Delia fly to away games? (on a plane, not a broomstick, before someone suggests it!).

[quote user="Jarroldstander"]

Was thinking about strange experiences of watching Norwich over the years and while I was just a bit too young to go to the European away games and the legendary Sky match against Oldham, I remember flying from Stansted to Blackpool with about ten other City fans back in January 2007 for the cup tie.

I remember it was a penny each way (£15ish after tax), landed at the airport at half eight on the Saturday and the pilot announced "Welcome to Blackpool International" and told us the time, which was good as we''d only left Stansted 25 minutes earlier.

Blackpool was freezing and worse of all the only flight back was on the Sunday evening so had a whole day in Blackpool in bleak January.

Just wondered who else has flown to a City game in this country - was anyone out there on those planes to Oldham for the Robins hat-trick back in November 1992?

[/quote]

I was on those two flights to and from Blackpool. The landing at Stansted was the heaviest landing I''ve ever had (it was his second attempt) plus the idiot pilot had to go around after realising he was halfway down the runway and still not touched down the first time he attempted a landing...although they claimed there was already a plane on the runway.

The season before last, I took a 6.30am flight from Stansted to Newquay, had a full English overlooking the beach, got a 10am train up to Plymouth...few pints in the city centre before the game. Watched our 2-1 win in fabulous sunshine and got the train back to London with a few Stellas to keep me company...Great day out

I flew to Sunderland the year we went up (well Newcastle airport) and the game was postponed due to the blizzards!

Top night out anyway though.....

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]The season before last, I took a 6.30am flight from Stansted to Newquay, had a full English overlooking the beach, got a 10am train up to Plymouth...few pints in the city centre before the game. Watched our 2-1 win in fabulous sunshine and got the train back to London with a few Stellas to keep me company...Great day out[/quote]

Great stuff. Me and the wife can relate to that.

[Y]

OTBC

Flew to Teeside in 1993 to watch us clinch spot in Europe. In the pub on friday night and chap said "do you want to come to Middlesbrough tomorrow?" - naturally said yes. He picked me up next morning and to my surprise took us to the airport. Close friend of a current director - flew up with Chase et al. Champagne on the way back. Got vey, very merry. Cost me nothing! Who''s in Europe now Scum? Who''s in Europe now...

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

A couple of Greek friends of mine, Daedalus and Icarus (father and son) used to fly over from the Eastern Mediterranean to see some City games.....

That''s until Icarus came a cropper....

Unfortunately Daedalus, lost his Son, to the Sun....

[/quote]What a unique cocktail of "highbrow" and "unfunny".

I''ve never flown to a City game but there might be someone on here who did back in the season of our first promotion to the top division, 1971/2 ? The landlord of my then local, the Black Horse on Earlham Road, flew to several City games with his mates. He needed to be back to run the evening session and used to re-appear back at the pub around 8.00pm.Flights were arranged for almost all City''s long distance trips and I remember he flew to matches at Carlisle, Portsmouth and several other places that season. The flights cost around £20 maximum but in those days that was a fair amount of money and a little out of reach for me......

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

A couple of Greek friends of mine, Daedalus and Icarus (father and son) used to fly over from the Eastern Mediterranean to see some City games.....

[/quote]

What a unique cocktail of "highbrow" and "unfunny".

[/quote]

I value your opinion....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]What a unique cocktail of "highbrow" and "unfunny". [/quote]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]Probably best for you if you don''t.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]

Probably best for you if you don''t.

[/quote]

No, I really do.

I''m flattered and so humbled, and also take great and unmitigated personal joy that a popular forum icon like your good self, can find and utilise a small portion of your most valuable time - to reply to one of my inane posts.....

Keep up the good work....

I do personally hold you in great esteem. [Y]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]Probably best for you if you don''t.[/quote]

No, I really do.

I''m flattered and so humbled, and also take great and unmitigated personal joy that a popular forum icon like your good self, can find and utilise a small portion of your most valuable time - to reply to one of my inane posts.....

[/quote]

Looks like I picked the wrong day to uninstall my sarcasm detector.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I really do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t be unkind.....I''m your biggest fan.

I also have your moniker tattooed across my chest......

(Well actually, it''s not a tattoo as such....it''s written in felt tip).....

It is just in case I ever tire of your genius and start admiring the work of some other talented poster....Although, it is indelible ink and it will take some scrubbing to remove. So there is some personal loyalty towards you, isn''t there?

You''re amazing.....[8-|] 

Sorry Choppy.....but is uninstall actually a word?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]Probably best for you if you don''t.[/quote]

No, I really do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is just in case I ever tire of your genius and start admiring the work of some other talented poster....Although, it is indelible ink and it will take some scrubbing to remove. So there is some personal loyalty towards you, isn''t there?

[/quote]Sarcasm Detector[img]http://www.sarcasmdetector.com/pr.gif[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I value your opinion....

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I really do.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sarcasm Detector
[img]http://www.sarcasmdetector.com/pr.gif[/img]
[/quote]

This is just so brilliant! I''m having some good banter with the Pink''un postin'' demi-god, who has probably taken personal time away from his breakfast of ambrosia and a flagon of pure nectar - just to have some fun with me!

I bet the rest of your following on the forum - are just soooooooo green with envy!

Keep them insults coming! I''m lovin'' it! 

I do so hope that your food of the gods isn''t getting cold?

Yellow blood - how could I have forgotten that. That landing was shocking wasn''t it? Felt good to be back in East Anglia though after a grim weekend in fecking cold Blackpool!

Well not strictly fly to a game, but on 4 occasions last season, i did start traveling back from the gulf on Thursday, knowing that i would be back in sunny Norwich on the 10.10 from Schipole on Saturday morning.

Thankfully, my bags would always be missing in action, so a crafty phone call to the missus stating my flight was delayed and wouldn''t be in until early evening, allowing me a man sized breakfast in the Bell and an afternoon at match. Sure she knows though....

I''ve flown to one match, Sunderland v Norwich on the night we won the league.  It was a cheap easyJet flight from Stansted.  Also flew up to Newcastle for the original postponed match back in the February, that time with BA from Heathrow, and found out the match was off on the bus from the plane to the terminal!  Managed to sort out a quick return flight and made it back to Windsor in time to see their match kicking off at 3pm in lovely winter sunshine.A few times I''ve been elsewhere in Europe on the morning of a match with an early flight back home, but wouldn''t really call that flying to a game.  Most recent was an early flight from Faro to Stansted touching down just before 1pm.  I''d parked at the valet parking so was in the car fairly quickly and made it to the Barclay just before 3pm!

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]Yes, you can catch the Flybe flight from Norwicu to Edinburgh, hire a car and drive from there[/quote]is sat nav included? or do i just listen to the sound of sheep?

Depart onQueen Street for 0.16 mile(s), 0.26 km(s)

1. Depart on Queen Street
  2. 2Turn left ontoNorth Charlotte Street for 0.07 mile(s), 0.11 km(s)

Turn left onto North Charlotte Street

3. 3Continue ontoCharlotte Square for 0.09 mile(s), 0.14 km(s)

Continue onto Charlotte Square

4. 4Continue ontoSouth Charlotte Street(A8) for 0.12 mile(s), 0.19 km(s)

Continue onto South Charlotte Street (A8)

5. 5Turn left ontoLothian Road(A700) for 0.47 mile(s), 0.76 km(s)

Turn left onto Lothian Road (A700)

6. 6Bear right ontoHome Street(A702) for 3.50 mile(s), 5.63 km(s)

Bear right onto Home Street (A702)

7. 7Pass through three roundabouts remaining onA702 for 16.45 mile(s), 26.47 km(s)

Pass through three roundabouts remaining on A702

8. 8Turn left ontoroad for 0.98 mile(s), 1.58 km(s)

Turn left onto road

9. 9Turn right ontoA72 for 4.35 mile(s), 7.00 km(s)

Turn right onto A72

10. 10Turn left ontoA701 for 27.6 mile(s), 44.42 km(s)

Turn left onto A701

11. 11At the roundabout, take the first exit ontoSlip Road for 0.19 mile(s), 0.31 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the first exit onto slip road

12. 12Continue ontoA74(M) for 30.13 mile(s), 48.49 km(s)

Continue onto A74(M)

13. 13Continue ontoM6 for 193.89 mile(s), 312.04 km(s)

Continue onto M6

14. 14Continue ontoM5 for 39.91 mile(s), 64.23 km(s)

Continue onto M5

15. 15Exit ontoM50 (J8) for 0.44 mile(s), 0.71 km(s)

Exit onto M50 (J8)

16. 16At the roundabout, take the second exit ontoM50 for 21.56 mile(s), 34.70 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the second exit onto M50

17. 17At the roundabout, take the first exit ontoA449 for 0.49 mile(s), 0.79 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the first exit onto A449

18. 18At the roundabout, take the third exit ontoA40 for 1.42 mile(s), 2.29 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the third exit onto A40

19. 19Pass through two roundabouts remaining onA40 for 15.94 mile(s), 25.65 km(s)

Pass through two roundabouts remaining on A40

20. 20Continue ontoA449 for 13.01 mile(s), 20.94 km(s)

Continue onto A449

21. 21At the roundabout, take the fifth exit ontoSlip Road for 0.43 mile(s), 0.69 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the fifth exit onto slip road

22. 22Continue ontoM4 for 48.13 mile(s), 77.46 km(s)

Continue onto M4

23. 23Exit ontoA483 (J42) for 4.60 mile(s), 7.40 km(s)

Exit onto A483 (J42)

24. 24Continue ontoQuay Parade(A4067) for 0.29 mile(s), 0.47 km(s)

Continue onto Quay Parade (A4067)

25. 25Take U-turn ontoWind Street for 0.06 mile(s), 0.10 km(s)

Take U-turn onto Wind Street

26. 26Turn left ontoStrand for 0.22 mile(s), 0.35 km(s)

Turn left onto Strand

27. 27Turn right ontoStrand for 0.10 mile(s), 0.16 km(s)

Turn right onto Strand

28. 28Arrive at your destination 

Arrive at your destination Strand

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I''ve flown to one match, Sunderland v Norwich on the night we won the league.  It was a cheap easyJet flight from Stansted.  Also flew up to Newcastle for the original postponed match back in the February, that time with BA from Heathrow, and found out the match was off on the bus from the plane to the terminal!  Managed to sort out a quick return flight and made it back to Windsor in time to see their match kicking off at 3pm in lovely winter sunshine.

A few times I''ve been elsewhere in Europe on the morning of a match with an early flight back home, but wouldn''t really call that flying to a game.  Most recent was an early flight from Faro to Stansted touching down just before 1pm.  I''d parked at the valet parking so was in the car fairly quickly and made it to the Barclay just before 3pm!
[/quote]

I imagine this was before the A12 had those awful average speed cameras all over them ;)

[quote user="taintedtom2000"]

I imagine this was before the A12 had those awful average speed cameras all over them ;)

[/quote]Don''t need to touch the A12 from Stansted to Norwich, just the M11, A11, A14, A11.  Only fixed camera is just after the A11 and A14 merge east of Cambridge.A12 is currently clear of cameras, did Ipswich - London last night and nothing to be seen.