Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Gary Doherty

He had more than his fair share of knockers and also had his failings. But consistent availability and fitness were not amongst them.

At least with Doc in the squad you knew you had a reliable and hard working prescence and the same is true of the much maligned Michael Nelson.

Like Jackson who immediately relegated Chris Martin to the bench on some posters starting eleven so Whitbread and Askou are often touted as first choice.

I am happy to wait on Ward but the other two are never out of the treatment room. Whitbread in particular has a very great deal to prove.

Shame for me Doc isn''t around, at least he would be putting in a shift and as centre halves he and Nelson have been the most consistent centre halves we have had in years.

This is becoming a position of concern. It did last season and who came back in from the cold to do a job? Yup, Gary Doherty.

Give me a tough and determined donkey over a show pony or a temperamental and injury prone thoroughbread any day.

Spot on, I think this could be something thats gonna come back and bite Lambert on the ass big time as the season goes on. I still dont understand how it could make sense to ditch your best defender and the only one of ours in the team of the year and keep some of the others on. If Lambert wanted to bring in a new first choice then fair enough but you''d keep the best others for back up. I''ve got a bad feeling we''re never even gonna see Whitbread 100% fit and i think he''ll struggle to play half our games this season but i''d love to be wrong.

Askou played a large chunk of the season.

Doherty is not as bad as some peope make out that is for sure but I do look back on his time here and wish that if he is going to man-handle players in the future that he does it away from the watchful eyes of the linesmen and referee. He had this awful habbit of slamdunking a player into the ground right in front of the ref and turn to him with his arms stretched out claiming it wasn''t a foul or something.

And with both him and Nelson playing our distribution wasn''t always brilliant, and at 30 he wasn''t getting any younger in a side that looks as though it is going to build around youth.

Also lets not forget it wasn''t that long ago that he did a ''Russel'' but he actually did get a contract when he found nothing else was available.

When Doc was on form & focused he was the best defender at the club, but he had far too many off days and looked genyuinely disinterested in our relegation season.

Dropping a division seemed to help him, alot less pace in front men up there and the refs certainly allowed for more robust defending that old shirt puller often enjoyed

I think he''ll have a great season with Charlton in lge 1, i do not think he would have had a great season with us in the Championship

I also trust Lambert and if he thinks we have sufficient competancy at the back now Docs gone i''ll back him

agreed in the relegation season doc went missing and looked out of his depth as did rusty so Im not bothered that either are no longer at the club. Its time to move on. Im sure elliot will get fit for the season play along side nelson then its up to the other two to get fit and fight for a place in the team. All 4 could do a job at that level.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]agreed in the relegation season doc went missing and looked out of his depth as did rusty so Im not bothered that either are no longer at the club. Its time to move on. Im sure elliot will get fit for the season play along side nelson then its up to the other two to get fit and fight for a place in the team. All 4 could do a job at that level.[/quote]Complete rubbish, sorry.  Doc never once went missing when we got relegated.  When all around him were giving up, he kept on trying.  There is no centre back in the world who would look good when exposed by the collective failings of Fotheringham, Russell and Otsemobor.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]He had more than his fair share of knockers and also had his failings. But consistent availability and fitness were not amongst them. At least with Doc in the squad you knew you had a reliable and hard working prescence and the same is true of the much maligned Michael Nelson. Like Jackson who immediately relegated Chris Martin to the bench on some posters starting eleven so Whitbread and Askou are often touted as first choice. I am happy to wait on Ward but the other two are never out of the treatment room. Whitbread in particular has a very great deal to prove. Shame for me Doc isn''t around, at least he would be putting in a shift and as centre halves he and Nelson have been the most consistent centre halves we have had in years. This is becoming a position of concern. It did last season and who came back in from the cold to do a job? Yup, Gary Doherty. Give me a tough and determined donkey over a show pony or a temperamental and injury prone thoroughbread any day.[/quote]

Agree apart from the donkey part!

The Doc was our best defender and was voted into the League 1 team of the season!

It became one of the most far of the mark urban myths going around that the Doc was c rap. Over 200 games for the club and most of them were good performances!

Whitbread is starting to craze me now. All this c rap about how good he is, well why wasn''t he in the team more last season?

Always injured and hasn''t done anything yet!

Yes I think not keeping our best defender who wanted to stay at the club and was on eo the leaders of the team was a mistake!

In our relegation season he alongside Clingan was head and shoulders above any other player so the posters who say he went missing in the relegation season must have been watching in a different dimension!! 

Whilst I would definately take a fit Doherty over an injured Whitbread I was happy, and still am happy he left.

Personally, for me, Doherty has always looked out of depth in the Championship and people always laugh at this saying but he did find his level last season.  Also, for me, Nelson was not as good as Doherty last season so I am very happy indeed that a Doherty, Nelson partnership is never going to appear in the Championship.

I am glad Doherty and Russel left because they both ''found their level''.  However we are now looking a bit bare in the centre back department with Ward, Whitbread and Askou all injury prone.  I am very confident about the Watford game but that could be knocked down to the ground if we had to start the season with a centre back pairing of Nelson and Francomb. 

Agree with you 100% Mr Chops and the original poster. If Doc went missing during the relegation season then a few others must have been missing presumed dead ffs. In Lambert we have to trust until such time as something goes tits up and he''s earned that trust but as the o.p. said letting Doc go was a big mistake. You have to laugh at the crap some people sprout about Doc on here still and yet if he was so bad how come he was voted in the divisonal team? A team voted for by professional footballers. I''d guess they probably know what there talking about in this case. And as for this he found his level rubbish he''s been our best defender for years. I hope Whitbread is upto the job but its looking bleak so far.

[quote user="Shaker"]Agree with you 100% Mr Chops and the original poster. If Doc went missing during the relegation season then a few others must have been missing presumed dead ffs. In Lambert we have to trust until such time as something goes tits up and he''s earned that trust but as the o.p. said letting Doc go was a big mistake. You have to laugh at the crap some people sprout about Doc on here still and yet if he was so bad how come he was voted in the divisonal team? A team voted for by professional footballers. I''d guess they probably know what there talking about in this case. And as for this he found his level rubbish he''s been our best defender for years. I hope Whitbread is upto the job but its looking bleak so far.[/quote]

Yeah, I will agree with you on that but I think that just proves how poor the last few seasons have been!

I don''t want to get into another Doc argument but I will say this.  IN MY OPINION he was rubbish in the Championship.  Last season I thought he done a lot better and was okay.  So therefore IN MY OPINION he found his level last season.

Was never a Doc fan have to admit but did think that last season was his best for us, he actually started to defend properly without having to cuddle every centre forward in the league.

I know one of the coaches at Colchester and they single him out as the weak link because he would always give away free kicks around our area! When he came back into the side he''d stopped doing that!

I think he found his level though, and to be honest so does the rest of the football managers as look where he ended up, League 1 in a club who are really struggling to attract players and lost 9 of the players that playe the last match!

[quote user="Shaker"]Agree with you 100% Mr Chops and the original poster. If Doc went missing during the relegation season then a few others must have been missing presumed dead ffs. In Lambert we have to trust until such time as something goes tits up and he''s earned that trust but as the o.p. said letting Doc go was a big mistake. You have to laugh at the crap some people sprout about Doc on here still and yet if he was so bad how come he was voted in the divisonal team? A team voted for by professional footballers. I''d guess they probably know what there talking about in this case. And as for this he found his level rubbish he''s been our best defender for years. I hope Whitbread is upto the job but its looking bleak so far.[/quote]

Correct!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]He had more than his fair share of knockers and also had his failings. But consistent availability and fitness were not amongst them. At least with Doc in the squad you knew you had a reliable and hard working prescence and the same is true of the much maligned Michael Nelson. Like Jackson who immediately relegated Chris Martin to the bench on some posters starting eleven so Whitbread and Askou are often touted as first choice. I am happy to wait on Ward but the other two are never out of the treatment room. Whitbread in particular has a very great deal to prove. Shame for me Doc isn''t around, at least he would be putting in a shift and as centre halves he and Nelson have been the most consistent centre halves we have had in years. This is becoming a position of concern. It did last season and who came back in from the cold to do a job? Yup, Gary Doherty. Give me a tough and determined donkey over a show pony or a temperamental and injury prone thoroughbread any day.[/quote]

I haven''t had my fair share - some men get all the luck!

I''m in the team Doherty camp. So much crap is spouted about the man it''s unbelievable. He leaves a big act to follow and I''m not sure we have anyone at the club who can step up to the plate.

sorry but im not alone here . In the relegation season he was out of his depth and against any quick striker struggles. Clingon definately went missing when it mattered in the latter part of that season. He is full of talent but when we needed him he let us down.clingon just went through the motions. Crofty was the only one trying and i believe that is why he got player of the season. No player deserved the trophy that season but at least crofty ran his tits off un like the clingons of the world.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]sorry but im not alone here . In the relegation season he was out of his depth and against any quick striker struggles. Clingon definately went missing when it mattered in the latter part of that season. He is full of talent but when we needed him he let us down.clingon just went through the motions. Crofty was the only one trying and i believe that is why he got player of the season. No player deserved the trophy that season but at least crofty ran his tits off un like the clingons of the world.[/quote]

Kept a now premier league Beckford in his pocket all day last season, The Doc has more pace than any of the centre backs still on our books

fair point. just remember him getting undone in the championship. beckford is sh*t anyway!!! think elliot will be better than doc wud have been. For the record I loved the ginger pele and just think it was time to move on. Lambert is not daft he knows his sh*t.

Wonder how many months/years the Doc threads will go on for??? Will City supporters be buying replica shirts from his new club!!??!!??

[quote user="methcanary"]

Wonder how many months/years the Doc threads will go on for??? Will City supporters be buying replica shirts from his new club!!??!!??

[/quote]Already ordered mine.

I think that it is important that Doc is not going to get any better, fitter or faster. At 30 he will only decline from here and whilst he still has a lot to give a team, it is time to move on. Whether we have the right replacements remains to be seen but I have no doubt that replacing Doc I''d the right move for a team that wants to progress

i do see your point ,the doc had a outstanding season .

saying that ,last time he played in the championship he was not that good .

good luck to him ,i would have kept him as a squad player

Wise words as ever, Mister Chops, but why resurrect this one? As ever, it degenerates into a "He''s crap", "No, he''s great" thread. It''s over, let him go (and I speak as a big fan of the ole donkey).Boyo, as usual, WTF are you talking about?? - "Also, for me, Nelson was not as good as Doherty last season so I am very

happy indeed that a Doherty, Nelson partnership is never going to

appear in the Championship."? You''re happy that we''ve kept the worse of the pair? Eh?

So much crap is spouted about the man it''s unbelievable. - WoS

Yes, I agree. The hyperbolic admiration for him is so stupid it makes it fun to stir things up by pointing out he is not all that good.

Only one trying, covering for 3 or 4 other uninterested players, any CCC team would be happy to have him, etc.

Even on this page of comments, there is a blinkered statemen t about how he handled Beckford, thus proving his great ability and speed. That person fails to recall how he was publicly b#tch slapped by the Sunderland striker earlier in the season.

I expect his excuse makers to come on and spin an excuse for that humiliation by blaming it on everyone else but him, but it was efforts like that that got him benched.

He''s found his level and good for him and Charlton.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]So much crap is spouted about the man it''s unbelievable. - WoS

Yes, I agree. The hyperbolic admiration for him is so stupid it makes it fun to stir things up by pointing out he is not all that good.

Only one trying, covering for 3 or 4 other uninterested players, any CCC team would be happy to have him, etc.

Even on this page of comments, there is a blinkered statemen t about how he handled Beckford, thus proving his great ability and speed. That person fails to recall how he was publicly b#tch slapped by the Sunderland striker earlier in the season.

I expect his excuse makers to come on and spin an excuse for that humiliation by blaming it on everyone else but him, but it was efforts like that that got him benched.

He''s found his level and good for him and Charlton.[/quote]I''ve found your level.[img]http://www.wavian.com/blog/images/toilet.jpg[/img]

Doc only stayed last season after a drastically reduced contract offer was left on the table for some months if you remember. nobody came in and he was lucky the offer wasn''t withdrawn. McNutty wouldn''t have left it there for sure.

He was a panic buy and was never better than a hoofer, though how anyone was meant to look good covering for Drury and Shackell is beyond me.

What a shame some missed the true point behind this thread which was an obvious concern as to the depth and resilience of our centre half pairings.

The second point was the way some players are automatically elevated for no obvious reason.

Also passing some people by was the point that players like Nelson are reliable and dependable and give of their best week in and week out. Yes, the best thing is a consistently playing performer, like Holt.

With Doherty you had regular competition. Unfortunately, the rivals for their positions were either long term unfit or unable to dislodge them. The final home game spoke volumes.

I felt the same way when Malky (too slow for the Prem) Mackay was allowed to leave, never to be replaced.

It looks like Ward has the potential to be a better player than Gary, but he has to prove it and in any event, if he is the replacement for Gary that still leaves the two sicknotes and why weren''t they replaced.

I hope I have to eat my words, but for now, best wishes and good health to Nelson and Ward. I wish Gary was there to back up and keep you on your mettle.

And Whoston, stop being so afraid of man-love, it really poses you no threat.