Sign in to follow this  
Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno

Re: Been reading so much rubbish, and I just HAD to post!

No offence intended but at first I just thought you were a really depressing Norwich fan,

After taking a second look at the way you attempt to qualify yourself (justifying not posting and attempting to use (an unlikely) semi pro status as some kind of fountain fo football knoweldge before ripping into half our signings and current players its clear as day that Johns spot on, your not a Norwich fan.

You were also abusive in another thread to another member so I think youve got the record the most pathetic attempt at posing as a Norwich fan in an attempt to bring doom and gloom.

I also think your lying about your interest in my signature.. ;)

One thing i will agree with to an extent is with the comments about Holt in relation to Jackson.... people on here have been very  critical about us signing an ''unproven at championship'' player yet have no issue with Holt who the season before last was in league 2. just some food for thought.

The opening post would only have some relevance come Christmas time. Then his minus assumptions could be evaluated properly.

However, some points have present pertinence. Grant Holt is, IMHO, the best striker we have had, for goalscoring ability, since Earnie. I cannot think of one player since that ugly little thing who I have more confidence in. Now for Chris Martin, who hasn''t really done much wrong since his return. He is a a young player with confidence and skill. He knew where the goal was last season and I anticipate that he will in the coming months.

Re: Surman. Nobody at CR, least of all Lambert will pay £1m plus for a player described in the  negativeway you  did. The rest  of the new boys seem pretty promising to me. All for differing reasons. Nothing can be forecast in such forthright terms. Let us not assume that we really know the ins and outs of the signings we have made.

It is as easy to be overly pessimistic as it is to be overly optimistic.

Premature guesswork of either is pointless, especially as a ball has yet to be kicked in anger.

I, for one am  encouraged by the summer''s activities, but reserve judgement. The O/P should do the same.

Can I add that the mess evolving down the Portman Road, now with the loss of Delany as the breaking news, only further encourages my optimism.

This is a daft post. You''re basically saying that if a player signs for NCFC then he can''t be any good, because he''s signed for NCFC.Unless you have vast resources the only way forward is to acquire underrated players who will blend into a good squad. Mr. Lambert did a bloody fantastic job last year with a largely inherited squad & very little money, so there are grounds for optimism that he''ll do even better this year.Time will tell. But I''ll take his judgement over yours any day.

Some very valid points albeit a bit on the negative side. I for one never expected Holt to get 30 goals i will be happy with half of that. He has an eye for goal and a physical present which goes a long way in the championship. Iwain Roberts did not have pace either. Martin for me the jury is out. He likewise is a good finisher but does lack pace and championship will be his limit. Surman should do very well in the championship though has failed at premiership level. Jackson does have the pace to trouble defences and though a bit of a gamble in a better side which will make chances will in my view be a success

Just to bring a little perspective to the goal scoring figures that have been quoted on numerous threads, the top scorer (league goals) in the Championship last year was Whittingham with 22, followed by Maynard with 21. No one else broke the 20 barrier. If Holt can manage 15 in his 1st full season that has to be considered a success.

Quite often when someone posts something that could be considered negative on here, people jump on it. 

"How dare you!", "Binner", "what do you know", "you''re wrong, you''re jumping to conclusions/assumptions"

Yet, in their responses you could apply the same (except the binner one) to their replies.

[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Quite often when someone posts something that could be considered negative on here, people jump on it. 

"How dare you!", "Binner", "what do you know", "you''re wrong, you''re jumping to conclusions/assumptions"

Yet, in their responses you could apply the same (except the binner one) to their replies.

[:^)]

[/quote]Binner.

[quote user="Theythinkitsallover"]People keep calling him a binner...but i am so will add a reply. It''s not all about superstars,see Real Madrid last season, it''s about team work and getting a balanced side to play to their potential. Lambert has that ability where as Keane doesn''t hence you will finish above us. To be honest though that is all it is about for our two sets of supporters isn''t it. Some of the younger ones who haven''t seen the days where our 2 clubs could compete with the rest might disagree but to the older supporter life is not about getting back to the premier league and wondering if we can scrape a season or 2 and then do a runner with the cash. It''s all got boring now. Hand on heart,how many of you enjoyed last season and are excited about this season then if you had just survived in the premier league and were then therefore contemplating another season of just clinging on or going down?. That''s where we are all at sadly. The championship is where it is all at at the moment for our respective clubs so let''s bring it on and may the best team win.[/quote]

Good post.I think a lot of us enjoyed last season.Obviously winning helped a great deal,but also the way we played and the way some of our players surprised us,Korey,Nelson,Martin etc.Also reading this forum the fans loved visiting new grounds,meeting ''real'' fans from teams we had never played before.

This season.......mildly excited.Don''t want to get my hopes up,but i think we have the strongest team that we have had in a very long time.Here''s hoping it gels[Y]

And it''s great to have proper derby games this season.(Col U who are ya?)

[quote user="singing canary"]Everton and Spurs were also interested in Jackson .

Smith played in the champions league for Rangers .

shall i go on ..?[/quote]So did Ian Murray so let''s not get carried away eh? [:$]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno"]Hi Guys, I''m a massive long time reader of the pink''un forums, but never made an account as I don''t really like online discussion because.. well I jsut don''t. But I LOVE football banter, so I don''t full understand my self why I don''t have an account.. but that''s neither here or there! Before I begin, I''m 24, have followed football, played semi-pro, an had a norwich season ticket since the age of 15. So PLEASE don''t tell me I don''t know what i''m on about, because I do :) now, let my rant... begin; Grant Holt - Unproven in the championship, no pace (which is critical to sucess at higher levels, and I will not be persuaded off this as in my eyes it''s a fact) and not world amazingly strong. I''m not saying he WONT do well, or he''s a poor player.. i''m jus saying I''m not expecting many more than 10 Goals. Chris Martin.. Again, in my eyes if he was top championship quality, and if his "deadly finishing" was all that it''s cracked up to be, we would be fighting to keep him. And as we are not, that tells me other clubs arn''t interested in him, and there for not scared of him. and finally MR JACKSON! Our main summer target, let me point something out.. this man was also been chased by the likes of.. QPR..and Southhampton.. if he''s that good, why are burnley, boro, pompy, not forrest or any other "top champ clubs" linked with him? The likes of Crofts and Fox coming from League One Clubs, with no competition for signature from other clubs too just doesn''t inspire me, and similar can be said about Elliot Ward, who may I remind you all had a disapointing end of season with PNE.. whom he was LOAN TO from Coventry.. Just to me seems with are filled with "okay-ish" players from other scrappy middle of the league clubs, and because of that.. I just that''s EXACTLY where we should all be expecting to see our selves in 8 months time. Mid Table at Best.. And please, if people talk to me about how great of a signing Andrew Surman is.. grr! The guy played 6 games for Wolves, and was sold. A PROMISNG, "GREAT" YOUTH PLAYER does not get sold after 1 year and 6 appearnces if there isn''t something wrong. Fact.[/quote][img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/asshole.gif[/img][/quote]

lol mate you couldn''t help yourself.

FWIW I think everyone has a right to their opinions, whether we agree with them or not, but his post does stink of a non NCFC supporter, or maybe it''s just me.

Agree almost 100% with the opening poster , most people on this messageboard have gone so far over the top about some pretty average signings its quite amazing , if we finish mid table we will have done well .

[quote user="The Walking Man "]

[quote user="Elliot Ward takes a MEAN peno"]Hi Guys, I''m a massive long time reader of the pink''un forums, but never made an account as I don''t really like online discussion because.. well I jsut don''t. But I LOVE football banter, so I don''t full understand my self why I don''t have an account.. but that''s neither here or there! Before I begin, I''m 24, have followed football, played semi-pro, an had a norwich season ticket since the age of 15. So PLEASE don''t tell me I don''t know what i''m on about, because I do :) now, let my rant... begin; Grant Holt - Unproven in the championship, no pace (which is critical to sucess at higher levels, and I will not be persuaded off this as in my eyes it''s a fact) and not world amazingly strong. I''m not saying he WONT do well, or he''s a poor player.. i''m jus saying I''m not expecting many more than 10 Goals. Chris Martin.. Again, in my eyes if he was top championship quality, and if his "deadly finishing" was all that it''s cracked up to be, we would be fighting to keep him. And as we are not, that tells me other clubs arn''t interested in him, and there for not scared of him. and finally MR JACKSON! Our main summer target, let me point something out.. this man was also been chased by the likes of.. QPR..and Southhampton.. if he''s that good, why are burnley, boro, pompy, not forrest or any other "top champ clubs" linked with him? The likes of Crofts and Fox coming from League One Clubs, with no competition for signature from other clubs too just doesn''t inspire me, and similar can be said about Elliot Ward, who may I remind you all had a disapointing end of season with PNE.. whom he was LOAN TO from Coventry.. Just to me seems with are filled with "okay-ish" players from other scrappy middle of the league clubs, and because of that.. I just that''s EXACTLY where we should all be expecting to see our selves in 8 months time. Mid Table at Best.. And please, if people talk to me about how great of a signing Andrew Surman is.. grr! The guy played 6 games for Wolves, and was sold. A PROMISNG, "GREAT" YOUTH PLAYER does not get sold after 1 year and 6 appearnces if there isn''t something wrong. Fact.[/quote]

Okay i''ll bite, if you played semi pro football the chances are you can''t get to many games and therefore unlikely to have a season ticket...

Chris Martin, how do you know we''re not rejecting bids for him? When he first broke onto the scene there were rumours of top premiership sides looking at him, you don''t suddenly lose the ability to finish.

As for Mr Jackson, QPR are one of the leading favourites for the championship, Southampton have probably got just as much money as QPR and will annihalate league one this year. Perhaps the reason why Pompey, Hull Burnley aren;t after him is because those clubs are skint? Forrest and Boro have got enough strikers on their books and to play for Boro these days it seems you have to be Scottish anyways...

Elliot Ward, you''re entitiled to you opinion but Rooney had a poor World Cup, that doesn''t make him a bad player does it? Ward has played in the Premiership, still only 25, and is a former million pound player. To pick him up on a free is a massive coup for the club and I don''t care if he doesn''t inpsire you.

Surman - Give the guy a little slack, he has after all played 133 games for Southampton prior to Wolves. Did it ever occur to you that Wolves had older more experienced players ahead of him in the pecking order? A first season in the premier league isn''t the time to gamble with a (then) 22 year old.

[/quote]

I played semi-pro AND I''ve been a season ticket holder for many years, but with a sizeable gap between the two! It might well be that this guy only played a season at that level beofre being injured / released by that Club.

[quote user="Wxyz"]Agree almost 100% with the opening poster , most people on this messageboard have gone so far over the top about some pretty average signings its quite amazing , if we finish mid table we will have done well . [/quote]More to the point, if we don''t finish rock bottom of the table we will have done well. (Sounded like you were restraining your cynicism for our sakes, so i thought i''d take it the whole way for you)

[quote user="Wxyz"]Agree almost 100% with the opening poster , most people on this messageboard have gone so far over the top about some pretty average signings its quite amazing , if we finish mid table we will have done well .
[/quote]

Sleeping binner comes active to support mate shocker!

Another point is look at Blackpools'' squad for last season, favourites for relegation, a team made up of free transfers, journey men and lower league players with the exception of Charlie Adam of course ! No one gave them a chance last season BUT look what they did ! Just goes to show you that with a good manager and good team spirit it can take you a long way !

playing in the champions league is average ..?

did not Jackson score for his country not that long ago ..?

i think you need to do some homework on some of the players we have signed .

young and eager to do well .

i think you will eat your words ,at least give them a chance before calling them average .

crazy thing to say .

Strange thing, the Pinkun. Few years back people got shouted down for being optimistic. Bit of success and all of a sudden people are being shouted down and called binners for being remotely pessimistic.I personally would be happy with mid-table, on the assumption that we show signs of developing over the season.If everyone wants to be optimistic then great; My only concern is that Optimism leads to over-expectation, over-expectation often leads to disappointment, disappointment leads to moaning and groaning, and moaning and groaning leads to the sort of scenes that took place at Carrow road between 2007 and 2009.A quick couple of points - Yes Blackpool did very well with an average squad and a good manager. But im sure there are several teams who have been in the same situation who have ended up doing nothing of note. So while it shows we CAN do it, its far from a given that we WILL do it, or even get near. Fingers crossed we do though. - Im very optimistic about Steven Smith, but as someone pointed out we also signed Ian Murray from Rangers...  - The main thing I disagree with the OP on is that while we dont have the best set of individuals, I think the players we have brought in are all good team players, who work their backsides off. As a result I think our team will be greater than the sum of the parts. Give me a strong team over a bunch of individuals any day.

[quote user="singing canary"]playing in the champions league is average ..?

i think you will eat your words ,at least give them a chance before calling them average .

crazy thing to say .[/quote]As I said earlier, Ian Murray played for Rangers in the CL and he was one of the worst players I''ve ever had the misfortune of seeing in a City shirt.Likewise Jim Brennan had scored for his country and was pretty poor.Elliot Ward played in an extremely average Coventry side for 3 years, so he must be average?Andrew Crofts played in an poor Brighton side so he must be poor.You can spin facts all you want to prove a point but at the end of the day, none of us know how a player is going to turn out. We all hope they''re going to be brilliant but chances are they wont. This time last year a lot of folk were raving about how OTJ and Gill were great signings and how Theoklitos was the best keeper in the Australian League.. let''s just see how we''re doing in a few months shall we?

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="singing canary"]playing in the champions league is average ..?

crazy thing to say .[/quote]As I said earlier, Ian Murray played for Rangers in the CL and he was one of the worst players I''ve ever had the misfortune of seeing in a City shirt.Likewise Jim Brennan had scored for his country and was pretty poor.Elliot Ward played in an extremely average Coventry side for 3 years, so he must be average?Andrew Crofts played in an poor Brighton side so he must be poor.You can spin facts all you want to prove a point but at the end of the day, none of us know how a player is going to turn out. We all hope they''re going to be brilliant but chances are they wont. This time last year a lot of folk were raving about how OTJ and Gill were great signings and how Theoklitos was the best keeper in the Australian League.. let''s just see how we''re doing in a few months shall we?[/quote]Yep, pretty much my point of view. For every Blackpool theres a team who appeared average and were indeed average. For every signing who looks good and turns out good, theres a signing who looks good and turns out to be crap. For every signing who looks bad and ends up being bad, theres examples of signings that look bad who end up surprising us.Frankly this league is so wide open that promotion or relegation wouldnt be a major surprise; I certainly wouldnt criticise anyone for predicting us to finish practically in any position this season. The OP came across a bit poorly in their post, but I dont see how anyone can completely slate his opinion, he does make some very valid points. There is a chance Holt will struggle, however theres also a chance that he will continue with his good form. Looking forward to finding out [Y]

And whats missing from all the above - the PL factor - remember the mess we were in last year with some players on the outer until PL came in - and some of those outer players were brought back in and their performance increased.  Who''s to know how good or bad they really are - its a mental thing of each individual, something PL seems to be able to sort out and get them to gel.  It will be interesting to hear reports from the training camp in Germany.  PL took Col who away before the start of last season and we all shudder at what happened then.  Any hopes of 7-1 for us this opening match????????