Sign in to follow this  
Proud Preston

Darel Russell offered deal at Preston

Wasn''t good enough for the team that Worthy was building for promotion from Div 1 some 7 or 8 years ago, wasn''t good enough to really make an impact on the league whilst at Stoke, wasn''t good enough on his return to prevent us from eventually getting relegated from the same league.  Has since had a good season in League 1.I think this says all you need to know.Amazing how some people are saying that this kind of analysis of his ability is merely ''sour grapes'', etc.  Methinks the misty-eyed bunch might be giving him too much credit for his work-rate and effort.Probably a decent signing considering he''s free and has been without a club long enough to realise he can''t command a huge wage.. don''t expect him to be a match-winner, though.

If it makes other players think twice before rejecting contract offers at Norwich, Lambert''s attitude could well work in the club''s favour in the future. Sorry to see Russell go but his greed and overinflated ego got the better of him.

As many have said before he is a solid midfield player, always works hard and gets stuck in, which of course means the odd card. For a free signing is a bargain, I assume however his wages are quite high hence he did not resign here.Many have forgotten that when released from holding role he also has an eye for goal which can be useful.Also and this is very important in a midfield tackling role he does not get injured easily and for long periods.One thing is for sure when he played well we did and I suspect the growing uncertainty over his future here affected his and our performance at the end of the season.I for one am sad to see him go and if we start badly I suspect we will suddenly get many regretting his loss

Decent enough player but I can''t help but feel he''s always overated himself.  Wasn''t overly bothered with him leaving but good luck to him.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Wasn''t good enough for the team that Worthy was building for promotion from Div 1 some 7 or 8 years ago, wasn''t good enough to really make an impact on the league whilst at Stoke, wasn''t good enough on his return to prevent us from eventually getting relegated from the same league.  Has since had a good season in League 1.

I think this says all you need to know.

Amazing how some people are saying that this kind of analysis of his ability is merely ''sour grapes'', etc.  Methinks the misty-eyed bunch might be giving him too much credit for his work-rate and effort.

Probably a decent signing considering he''s free and has been without a club long enough to realise he can''t command a huge wage.. don''t expect him to be a match-winner, though.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. Lets hope the ''Darrel Russell effect'' works for the 3rd time.. Leaves City for Stoke, City promoted. Leaves Stoke for City, Stoke promoted.

PNE fan, you won''t get promoted with Russell in your side, as Clubs only seem to achieve promotion when he leaves them (Norwich the first time, and then Stoke).

[quote user="JackP"]I wish he was still here, even on a poor day he makes an impact. Always gives his all no matter what which isn''t something you can say about every player these days. Might not be technically gifted but he makes up for it in numerous ways. Wish he could lend Lappin a tenth of his enthusiasm and passion.
[/quote]

And no doubt Darrell Russell would love to have one tenth of Simon Lappins ability to complete a pass beyound 10 feet. Darrell Russell is a water carrier, breaks up play, does the dirty work and is average at that. He is a (very) poor man''s Makalele.. In short, he''s a bit of a clogger. Every team needs one but I think that Crofts will compensate for his loss on much less money.

decent hard working player who is happy to do the dirty work , gets bit over exited and into trouble but wish he had stayed here , got a bigger opinion of himself than he warrants tho , good signing on a free and will do a decent job for you

IMO will be missed by us as I have said all along, really feel we will miss his physical presence in the engine room. If Crofts gets injured this potentially could be a problem position for us?

Great signing on a free as echoed by others, I just hope his leaving has no impact on our season....

Can cut it in this division, useful in a higher end championship side I highly doubt.

Does all the hard work most players wont do and never played consistently in the holding position higher than league one. He would probably still be here if his ego and arrogance hadn''t gotten the better of him.

Overall, for a free player he''s a decent capture, but I reckon there are better options out there.

Could do a lot worse. He was more consistent last season than when he was here last time, and he''s a pretty good footballer when he''s on his game. He''s athletic, hard working, very brave. He''s not a fan''s favourite because he doesn''t give a shit about the fans, or the Club, whichever Club it is. But still, a good player at this level.

I agree largely with the comments above. A good, solid if not spectacular player. Disappointed to see him leave us, but he does like to spend time looking at his options does our Rusty. Best of luck to the lad.

[quote user="Anderz"]PNE fan, you won''t get promoted with Russell in your side, as Clubs only seem to achieve promotion when he leaves them (Norwich the first time, and then Stoke).[/quote]Didn''t we just get promoted with Russell in our side?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Wasn''t good enough for the team that Worthy was building for promotion from Div 1 some 7 or 8 years ago, wasn''t good enough to really make an impact on the league whilst at Stoke, wasn''t good enough on his return to prevent us from eventually getting relegated from the same league.  Has since had a good season in League 1.

I think this says all you need to know.

Amazing how some people are saying that this kind of analysis of his ability is merely ''sour grapes'', etc.  Methinks the misty-eyed bunch might be giving him too much credit for his work-rate and effort.

Probably a decent signing considering he''s free and has been without a club long enough to realise he can''t command a huge wage.. don''t expect him to be a match-winner, though.
[/quote]

This. He did a job last season but i''m not so sure he''ll perform it as well this season.

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="Duffman"]5 red cards and 22 yellows in the in the last 3 seasons So, I can now warn you that he might get sent off at least twice this season but also likely to pick up around 7 yellow cards so could miss a further game. Is that better explained for the idiots on here?[/quote]

Personal insults? wow you''re really mature

Maybe if you''d have wrote that instead of "assuring" him he''d get three reds we''d have known what you ment, hey?

[/quote]wow no offence but you''re really stupid

Not a world beater but mostly done a good job for us over many years!

Does the dirty stuff well and last season was a major part of our success playing at the bottom of the diamond protecting the back 4!

Disapointed hes leaving and I''ll be surprised if his replacement Crofts is as good but Russell thought the grass was greener when it wasn''t, so I want players at the club who want to be at the club!

a bad egg. thinks he is better than he really is. Lambert gave him a life line and got the most out of a very average championship midfielder at best last season. He is then offered a new contract which he throws back in lamberts face. Walked away from our club twice now. hope he never comes back. very average player. Just hoping the likes of crofts and surman prove to be better players. Although I could see young korey smith fill rustys boots easily next season. Korey has more ability in my eyes.

Yes Mr chops we have just been promoted with darel Russell in our side...from league one.

Preston are in the championship which is a harder league, one which Russell has notoriously struggled in.

I had you down as quite an intelligent poster, am I right to think that?

Needs a manager to give him some positional disciplin. Play him as a strait holding midfielder in a diamond he is good, breaks up play and does simple passes. Play him in a 4-4-2 as a CM and he becomes a headless chicken, chasing the ball all over the pitch, losing it and giving away free kicks. This time last season before I had seen him playing as a holding player I would happily have paid someone to take him off our hands.

Why is Duffman getting so much grief over this ????  I don''t understand, he is just trying to put across the fact that Russell is always getting booked because of the way he plays, and yes he is very likely to get sent off, why is this such a big deal with some people on here ? and now marchisio out of the blue calls him stupid why for **** sakes why why explain yourself ?  Duffman I think DDD is on the wrong week and is just looking for an argument, and marchisio is probably her husband and want to take his frustrations out on someone else lol.

[quote user="huckster"]Why is Duffman getting so much grief over this ????  I don''t understand, he is just trying to put across the fact that Russell is always getting booked because of the way he plays, and yes he is very likely to get sent off, why is this such a big deal with some people on here ? and now marchisio out of the blue calls him stupid why for **** sakes why why explain yourself ?  Duffman I think DDD is on the wrong week and is just looking for an argument, and marchisio is probably her husband and want to take his frustrations out on someone else lol.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? Didn''t Marchisio actually call DDD stupid? Are you Duffman''s wife?

I have to say that I read it as marchisio was calling DDD stupid.

If he was talking about me, then fair enough thats his problem.

I proved DDD wrong, we all moved on and nothing more needed to be said.

In other news, I can also confirm that I am not a married man.

Most accurate summary of Russell imo

Good to have at the club and a shame he''s left - but for me there was always that issue of his temper.

Maybe he''ll come back again in five years!

[quote user="Duffman"]I have to say that I read it as marchisio was calling DDD stupid. If he was talking about me, then fair enough thats his problem. I proved DDD wrong, we all moved on and nothing more needed to be said. In other news, I can also confirm that I am not a married man.[/quote]

You proved me wrong how?

If  Russell gets 3 red cards next season like you assured the op then yes, otherwise only in your head

[quote user="Duffman"]I have to say that I read it as marchisio was calling DDD stupid. If he was talking about me, then fair enough thats his problem. I proved DDD wrong, we all moved on and nothing more needed to be said. In other news, I can also confirm that I am not a married man.[/quote]

You proved me wrong how?

If  Russell gets 3 red cards next season like you assured the op then yes, otherwise only in your head

[/quote]I sense a small bet looming here...

You proved me wrong how?

[/quote]

Hahah [:D] being a bit pedantic aren''t we? You know he was just making the point that his discipline is appalling and lets him and his team down regularly - don''t really see how you can argue with that because it''s completely true?! [:)]   

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

You proved me wrong how?

[/quote]I sense a small bet looming here...[/quote]I would be well up for some of that.  I''ve even thought of a better forefit then making the loser pay money.How about the loser has to sport a lovely Ipswich Town avatar for the whole of the 2011/2012 season.

In my opinion Darel Russell will be a fantastic signing for you boys now he has found his true position as a holding player. It is true he has been dissapointing in the champiuonship before but both times he has been there he hasnt played in the position he now occupies. I can see where Duffman is coming from in regards to Russells discipline although i think he slightly exagerated ;). If he signs for you and you play him in his new position you have a very good player IMHO.

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]In my opinion Darel Russell will be a fantastic signing for you boys now he has found his true position as a holding player. It is true he has been dissapointing in the champiuonship before but both times he has been there he hasnt played in the position he now occupies. I can see where Duffman is coming from in regards to Russells discipline although i think he slightly exagerated ;). If he signs for you and you play him in his new position you have a very good player IMHO.[/quote]

More to the point, the last time he left us we went up hope history repeates itself, but I also think you have a good player there he will do your midfield well and Good luck to him