Sign in to follow this  
Proud Preston

Darel Russell offered deal at Preston

Mornin'' folks,

Local news up here are reporting we''ve offered Russell a contract and he was seen in the stand for our friendly with Blackburn on Tuesday night.

Ferguson has been looking for a holding midfielder all summer to finally replace Paul Mckenna and it looks like Russell is his choice. We don''t have much (if any) money to throw about at the moment so most fans see Russell on a free as a decent signing.

You lot have obviously seen a lot of him over the years so how do you rate him as a holding midfielder at this level?

Cheers.

He only started in the holding role last season at League 1 level.

Personally I think he will be average, nothing special.

I can assure you that he will get sent off at least 3 times.

He''ll do alright I should think, sometimes he looks very good, but on other occasions he can be very frustrating. Not sure yet if we''ve replaced him with anything better, but time will tell.

Lambert got the best out of him last season in a way other City managers haven''t. Depends on Ferguson I think whether you end up with a good championship player or a poor one.

As Barry said, he only played as a holding mid last year.He was alright.  His importance was overstated I think, because of the energy and attitude of the players around him gave him a lot of cover.

[quote user="Duffman"]He only started in the holding role last season at League 1 level. Personally I think he will be average, nothing special. I can assure you that he will get sent off at least 3 times.[/quote]

has he ever been sent off 3 times in a season? how can you assure it then?

He''s an average player that we wanted to stay but Lambert wouldn''t be held to ransom by anyone so found a replacement before he decided he did actually want to stay which has left some Norwich fans bitter

I actually think you''ve got a decent signing there for free mate - he does the nasty stuff no-one else wants to. It''s a thankless task and he does it pretty well. He''s not the best, but as someone said, there''s no guarantee we have paid for anything better.

As a free it could be a bargain!

You''ve signed a decent player for free IMHO! Not afraid of hard work & his main asset is breaking up play & giving it to the more creative players. He does tend to lose his temper & will rack up the yellow cards in no time but that has always been the case & will never change. Some people here will moan about him as we all did with Chris Brown, but he ended up ok for you!

I''d still want him here, so you''ve got a decent player IMO. Works hard, good attitude.

[quote user="Proud Preston"]Mornin'' folks,

Local news up here are reporting we''ve offered Russell a contract and he was seen in the stand for our friendly with Blackburn on Tuesday night.

Ferguson has been looking for a holding midfielder all summer to finally replace Paul Mckenna and it looks like Russell is his choice. We don''t have much (if any) money to throw about at the moment so most fans see Russell on a free as a decent signing.

You lot have obviously seen a lot of him over the years so how do you rate him as a holding midfielder at this level?

Cheers.[/quote]Ignore the bitter folks on here - many are still annoyed he wanted to see if he could get a better deal. He''s a good player, a tough tackler and he''ll do you fine. We''d be a better team with him still in it.

5 red cards and 22 yellows in the in the last 3 seasons

So, I can now warn you that he might get sent off at least twice this season but also likely to pick up around 7 yellow cards so could miss a further game.

Is that better explained for the idiots on here?

I was one of the few who really rated Rusty, sad to see him go! He gives 100%, breaks up play and builds up/starts attacks, and sometimes albeit rarely finishes them off as well! For a free you have got a very good signing, I would still say it was a good signing at about 500-600k [Y]

[quote user="Duffman"]5 red cards and 22 yellows in the in the last 3 seasons So, I can now warn you that he might get sent off at least twice this season but also likely to pick up around 7 yellow cards so could miss a further game. Is that better explained for the idiots on here?[/quote]

Personal insults? wow you''re really mature

Maybe if you''d have wrote that instead of "assuring" him he''d get three reds we''d have known what you ment, hey?

I rate him, and especially so in his role last season. And I reckon Lambert (who maybe knows just a little more than me about footy) also rates him or he wouldn''t have been offered a contract. It was only the players fannying around with the offer that meant it was withdrawn.Good player to get on a free, tough tackling and determined, though as a few of the others have said, he may get sent off occasionally, which is I think part and parcel of the role he was playing in last season and I found his overall temperament not bad.

Ferguson has been looking for a holding midfielder all summer to finally replace Paul Mckenna and it looks like Russell is his choice.

When did Darel Russell become a Hypnotist?

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="Duffman"]5 red cards and 22 yellows in the in the last 3 seasons So, I can now warn you that he might get sent off at least twice this season but also likely to pick up around 7 yellow cards so could miss a further game. Is that better explained for the idiots on here?[/quote]

Maybe if you''d have wrote that instead of "assuring" him he''d get three reds we''d have known what you ment, hey?

[/quote]

He''s correct though, isn''t he [:)]

He done okay last season in League One and by all accounts was the best he''s played since he joined us. If he can do the same job in the Championship i''m not so sure, i''ve never been overly impressed with him in the Championship. Also important to remember as i think a poster before said, the energy of lappin and korey made his job quite a bit easier.

Good at breaking up play but that''s as good as it gets for me.

A good free signing.

He originaly broke through and played as a box to box midfielder as he generally has a good engine on him and he will keep battling right up until the final whistle.

I am not sure he is a ''holding midfielder'' he defenitely has a strong defensive game and is capable of keeping the ball moving. People say he is average on here but for me that makes him a good mid-table championship player so for free not bad at all.

He gets cards because he battles, he ruffles feathers and he sticks up for his team mates, especially those not as big and as physical as him. He is strong and is not easily pushed off the ball.

In some ways I would call him an antagonist as well, there seems to be an element of gamesmanship with him as he appears to get on the nerves of a few players he has played against. Not sure if he is sledging them or if it is because he will leave a foot in etc when the ref isn''t looking. He can read the play well and is capable of turning defense into attack.

Having said all of that his concentration has been questionable at times, he was a very good player last season and I am sure he would do a good job for you.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[/quote]

He''s correct though, isn''t he [:)]

[/quote]

No, he''s never been sent off 3 times in a season

the ban for 5 yellows is 1 match, red card is more so not the same at all, is it?

Either way the point is still right, he will get to spend some time in the stands due to suspension!

It''s a part of his game make-up and one of the reasons why I actually liked him as a player, you always knew he was in it for the team, although some of his reds and yellows were for getting involved when he didn''t need to and others just not deserved!

Will be interesting to see what happens when he comes to Carrow Road if he does join PNE,,not likely to score but is definately on for a yellow just to prove a point!!!!

Good luck to him though wherever he ends up!!

Some times during a game you need a player to get stuck in and make a really strong tackle, as a kick up the backside to the other players, to break up play, and to assert authority on a game.  Russell can do this.Some times during a game when things are going well and you''ve got the momentum, the last thing you want is for a defensive mid to lose his rag, put his feet in and get sent off.  Russell can also do this.As others say, he''s a great runner too, although his distribution isn''t the best, if people offer him simple options he''ll do well for you.  A decent first team player at championship level I would say.

Unproven at Championship level in the holding midfield position. Done great last season, turned defence into attack. The bloke who said he would get sent off at least 3 times that is balls, once he got sent off last season which never should have been. I would have liked him to stay. He won''t do bad for you but he won''t be great.

Good at breaking up play but gives the ball away cheaply far to often and can''t shoot very well sum him up imo. Isn''t good enough for a team hoping to compete at the top end of the Championship but I''m not sure what your ambitions are for this season.

Thinks he''s a lot better than he is.

Out of the team at the start of the season because he though he could get a move to a Championship club which never materialised. Lambert brought him back into the fold after Gunn''s sacking and played him at the base of the diamond. Offered a new contract, but delayed hoping to get a better offer from another team (which again, never materialised). When he couldn''t get anything better, wanted to resign for Norwich, but Lambert was having none of it.

Can be a good player, but his over-inflated opinion of himself isn''t matched by other managers.

DDD - you cannot question Duffmans analysis on Darel Russell.

Preston will be ok as long as they don''t play him upfront lol

I love how some people have said how average he is. I was disappointed the first time he left and now as well. Always committed to the cause and he was an integral part of our team last year. Good luck rusty!

I wish he was still here, even on a poor day he makes an impact. Always gives his all no matter what which isn''t something you can say about every player these days. Might not be technically gifted but he makes up for it in numerous ways. Wish he could lend Lappin a tenth of his enthusiasm and passion.