Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Formation

With Lamberts experience and German connections,plus Culverhouse having been one of the best sweepers in Europe in his day, is it possible that we may be looking at playing sweeper plus three CB''s?

Four across midfield with the ability for using pace out wide and Holt + as the front runners.

This would mean we do not need another right back.

Difficult to beak down, offer something different for the opposition to worry about and use our players to the best advantage.

Just a slight variation on last seasons diamond but being slightly tighter at the back.

Lol, I have no idea, and it makes my head hurt trying to consider where everyone will fit in.

One thing about playing a diamond is you need attacking full-backs to provide width, so no - your idea of making the defence even narrower is not a good idea, IMHO.

[quote user="First Jedi"]One thing about playing a diamond is you need attacking full-backs to provide width, so no - your idea of making the defence even narrower is not a good idea, IMHO.[/quote]

Not narrower as it allows the tip of the diamond to roam plus your two central guys to drift wide when needed with adeqaute cover behind them. Very difficult to mark. 

Someone posted a team beased on the German formation the other day which i thought looked like it would work really well for us. Would be:

Ruddy

Martin Ward Whitbread Smith/Drury

Crofts Smith

Martin Hoolahan Surman

Holt

Why does everyone always pick Whitbread?

Whats he done to prove he''s worth a first team place? He spent most of last season injured and when he did play he looked off the pace and average at best, it will be Nelson and Ward that start next season

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Whats he done to prove he''s worth a first team place? He spent most of last season injured and when he did play he looked off the pace and average at best, it will be Nelson and Ward that start next season

[/quote]

I half agree, but I think it''s up to how the pre-season games go before PL makes his CB choices.

It won''t be and if it is then we will be sh*t at the back and will struggle IMHO.

[quote user="The Butler"]

With Lamberts experience and German connections,plus Culverhouse having been one of the best sweepers in Europe in his day, is it possible that we may be looking at playing sweeper plus three CB''s?

Four across midfield with the ability for using pace out wide and Holt + as the front runners.

Difficult to beak down, offer something different for the opposition to worry about and use our players to the best advantage.

Just a slight variation on last seasons diamond but being slightly tighter at the back.

[/quote]

Have you been reading your Boy''s Own guide to tactics book again?[;)]

I think we need Mr Nutt as midfield playmaker.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought Nutty had retired!! Awk Awk

Only with Trev up front though.

"Not narrower as it allows the tip of the diamond to roam"

The diamond does that anyway - you need full backs tho, to provide width and cover wing attacks.

"plus your two central guys to drift wide when needed with adeqaute cover behind them. Very difficult to mark. "

Again - nothing to do with with the defensive changes you''ve suggested.

With no fullbacks, and no wide-midfielders, we''d be torn to shreds on the wings, and have zero width going forwards. The diamond relies heavily on full-backs. Removing the full-backs for 3 CBs and a sweeper would be suicidal.

All said and done, at the end of the day, its 11 men against 11 men. As long as we use the spare man in the dead ball situation, keep it tight at the back and make hay while the sun shines in the box, then we''ll be fine.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But who would you preferin goal? Ruddy, Forster or the Librarian?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Someone posted a team beased on the German formation the other day which i thought looked like it would work really well for us. Would be:

Ruddy

Crofts Smith

Martin Hoolahan Surman

Holt

[/quote]

i think this is EXACTLY what Lambert is aiming for on day one. 

[quote user="morty"]All said and done, at the end of the day, its 11 men against 11 men.[/quote]Quite right Morty. I think too many on here confuse even themselves with formations, they certainly confuse me. When a team lines up with a straight 4-4-2 formation where one CM is an attacking player and the other CM is more defensive player, isn''t that the same as a diamond formation?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]All said and done, at the end of the day, its 11 men against 11 men.[/quote]Quite right Morty. I think too many on here confuse even themselves with formations, they certainly confuse me. When a team lines up with a straight 4-4-2 formation where one CM is an attacking player and the other CM is more defensive player, isn''t that the same as a diamond formation?[/quote]Lol Lapp, I just reeled off a load of football cliches, I actually have nothing serious to add to this debate.[;)]

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]Bloody quotes!!! Beausant wrote: Have you been reading your Boy''s Own guide to tactics book again? I think we need Mr Nutt as midfield playmaker. But who would you prefer in goal? Ruddy, Forster or the Librarian?[/quote]

I''d go for the librarian. The number of banana skins in the penalty area would be a further obstacle to onrushing forwards, although he could get a few bookings for hanging from the crossbar!!

[quote user="First Jedi"]Well - we know this; 1 team will win, 1 team will loose. Unless, of course, they draw.[/quote]

Very simplistic you are forgetting parallel universes and the quantum effect plus ripples in the continum[:D]

There''s only one Ginger Librarian!![;)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Ruddy

Crofts Smith

Martin Hoolahan Surman

Holt

[/quote]

Martin does not perform on the right. He was played there under a past manager, can''t remember which one, but he didnt perform there, he looked as though he just sulked whenever he was put there. We need to keep 2 up front.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]All said and done, at the end of the day, its 11 men against 11 men.[/quote]Quite right Morty. I think too many on here confuse even themselves with formations, they certainly confuse me. When a team lines up with a straight 4-4-2 formation where one CM is an attacking player and the other CM is more defensive player, isn''t that the same as a diamond formation?[/quote]

Lol Lapp, I just reeled off a load of football cliches, I actually have nothing serious to add to this debate.

[;)]
[/quote]Nor me Morty!. I think Buttler only started this thread because he wants to be in CT''s and Brendo''s gang! [;)][:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]All said and done, at the end of the day, its 11 men against 11 men.[/quote]Quite right Morty. I think too many on here confuse even themselves with formations, they certainly confuse me. When a team lines up with a straight 4-4-2 formation where one CM is an attacking player and the other CM is more defensive player, isn''t that the same as a diamond formation?[/quote]

Lol Lapp, I just reeled off a load of football cliches, I actually have nothing serious to add to this debate.

[;)]
[/quote]Nor me Morty!. I think Buttler only started this thread because he wants to be in CT''s and Brendo''s gang! [;)][:D][/quote]

You have said some cuel things in the past but that takes the dogs biscuit!!

Any more of this and I will force feed you Bob Martins.[:D]