Sign in to follow this  
Darren Lamb

Ruddy Signs!

I was chatting to a Stockport fan the other day about Owain Fon Williams and this was said:

HIM:

"to give you a more specific idea as a Norwich fan, we had Fraser Forster on loan during OFWs first season to cover him when he was off playing for Wales, and there was barely any difference between the pair of them.

If you think Forster is good enough for you / would be an improvement on Rudd, I''d say a confident, well coached OFW would be a good purchase."

ME:

"Has he improved much since then? Cos big Fraser very probably has. I definitely want FF as no 1 priority."

HIM:

"OFW went a long way backwards last season, whilst FF still seemed an very good keeper - think I managed to see him play 2 (maybe 3!) times last season the way his loans worked out. If you can get OFW back to form, he''d be great for you, and certainly a lot cheaper than FF.

the best keeper I''ve seen at County is John Ruddy, who I think is still at Everton, but I couldn''t really pick between OFW on 2008-09 form and Forster for second best. I felt both were slightly better than Wayne Hennessey when we had him on loan (06-07?), and he''s now the Wales keeper, and was starting for Wolves part of last season."

This makes me quite happy.

[quote user="CJ"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="CJ"]Well that means Fraser Forster is going elsewhere can not believe Ruddy would want to come here to play second string and he would
know he would if Forster here. I have to say totally gutted as I rated Forster very highly certainly would have been best in Champoinship.

Sorry I really rate the SPL as it is simply a two horse race every year and the list of other clubs Ruddy has been at do not inspire. If Forster goes to
Burnley as suggested it will simply be money which as always we aint got.

Lambert is needing a miracle to do anything other than survive next year in the Championship
[/quote]

And Ruddy kept clean sheets against those horses.

Inform us how much money we don''t have.

LOL. I''ll come back and remind you at the end of the season.

[/quote]

On the money issue everyone knows the clubs coming down from the Premier League have a massive advantage with parachute payments
hence Burnley can afford way more than we can for Forster. We have spent and sold for peanuts hence undisclosed sums everywhere.
Every one knows we have debts 6 mill plus but then so do most clubs in Championship except those on parachute payments
Every one knows also without Forster last year we would have struggled to get anywhere, there are two vital positions Goal Keeper and
Goal Scorer get those right and the rest is so much easier as we did last season

I really hope you are right that Lambert pulls off another miracle but none of the signings to date have been major targets for other clubs
and when we do come up against competition as with Bailey we seem to lose out

As I said Lambert will need another miracle but he did perform one last season
[/quote]

Not wuite true and ward and surman were being chased by various other clubs and we beat them to their signatures. Ok we can''t compete financially with the parachute payment clubs (or probably the likes of the sc*m) but so far as the rest are concerned we appear to be competitive.

We will sign Jackson this week which will give us some pace up front and tick another of the boes that still need ticking. After that I would say right back/right winger to come but the squad is looking quite decent.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

[quote user="CJ"]Well that means Fraser Forster is going elsewhere can not believe Ruddy would want to come here to play second string and he would
know he would if Forster here. I have to say totally gutted as I rated Forster very highly certainly would have been best in Champoinship.

Sorry I really rate the SPL as it is simply a two horse race every year and the list of other clubs Ruddy has been at do not inspire. If Forster goes to

Lambert is needing a miracle to do anything other than survive next year in the Championship
[/quote]

According to Evertonians,when he stepped in,he never let them down..his trouble was always 2 good keepers in front..as a youngster,everton loaned out,and not letting any goals in against the big 2 in scotland must count in his favour!..There has been no hint of "its about the money" with forster,from us or newcastle! You really dont know anythong about football do you..

[/quote]

That was meant as "anything"

[/quote]

[/quote]

On the money issue everyone knows the clubs coming down from the Premier League have a massive advantage with parachute payments
hence Burnley can afford way more than we can for Forster. We have spent and sold for peanuts hence undisclosed sums everywhere.
Every one knows we have debts 6 mill plus but then so do most clubs in Championship except those on parachute payments
Every one knows also without Forster last year we would have struggled to get anywhere, there are two vital positions Goal Keeper and
Goal Scorer get those right and the rest is so much easier as we did last season

I really hope you are right that Lambert pulls off another miracle but none of the signings to date have been major targets for other clubs

[/quote]

Instead of criticising BEFORE you''ve seen him why dont you be thankful we''ve signed a young goalkeeper who with confidence and SUPPORT could grow to be even better than FF? And FYI we wouldnt ''have struggled'' without FF last year....

So, just coincidence that we are playing Everton in a pre season friendly, and also sign a keeper from them?Makes me wonder if we have had this on the back burner as plan B all along.

I know nothing about this guy, but how many of us knew anything about Forster until he came to Carrow Road?

I will however be pretty pi##ed off if Newcastle now loan FF out to one of our rivals. It did seem that Newcastle wanted to keep him on their books, but if FF has said he doesn''t want to sit the season out there, maybe they''ve decided to sell and we couldn''t meet the price. Although a difficult pill to swallow, I would rather that be the case than the loan.

The views below are submitted by registered users of evertonfc.com and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton Football Club.

YourEverton

david buchanan

Its a shame to see john go because he could of bin 1 for the future for the blues but good luck at Norwich John , it will will be good to see u back in the prem sometime

Monday 5th Jul 2010 11:28

Agree with david? + 1

YourEverton

Syl Cordis

All the best for the future John, hope your career goes from strenghth to strenghth and in the not to distant future we hope to see you back at Goodison park once again....................

Monday 5th Jul 2010 11:28

Agree with Syl? 0

YourEverton

Drew Shortis

Shame to see a good young keeper leaving the club, but with Tim and Jan in front of him his playing chances would have been limited. Best of luck at Norwich. Hopefully we will see you back in the Premier League with them one day. The new Bryan Gunn perhaps?

Monday 5th Jul 2010 11:21

Agree with Drew? + 1

Gerasimos Konstantopoulos

Gerasimos Konstantopoulos

Good luck John!

Monday 5th Jul 2010 11:20

Agree with Gerasimos? + 1

Tom Mc Andrew

Tom Mc Andrew

We shall meet again!

Monday 5th Jul 2010 10:55

Agree with Tom? + 3

YourEverton

Kieron Brown

Good luck for the future John.

Monday 5th Jul 2010 10:51

Agree

[quote user="7rew"]I was chatting to a Stockport fan the other day about Owain Fon Williams and this was said:

HIM:

"to give you a more specific idea as a Norwich fan, we had Fraser Forster on loan during OFWs first season to cover him when he was off playing for Wales, and there was barely any difference between the pair of them.

If you think Forster is good enough for you / would be an improvement on Rudd, I''d say a confident, well coached OFW would be a good purchase."

ME:

"Has he improved much since then? Cos big Fraser very probably has. I definitely want FF as no 1 priority."

HIM:

"OFW went a long way backwards last season, whilst FF still seemed an very good keeper - think I managed to see him play 2 (maybe 3!) times last season the way his loans worked out. If you can get OFW back to form, he''d be great for you, and certainly a lot cheaper than FF.

the best keeper I''ve seen at County is John Ruddy, who I think is still at Everton, but I couldn''t really pick between OFW on 2008-09 form and Forster for second best. I felt both were slightly better than Wayne Hennessey when we had him on loan (06-07?), and he''s now the Wales keeper, and was starting for Wolves part of last season."

This makes me quite happy.[/quote]I would agree. I''ve seen a lot of Stockport over the last few years and have seen all of those keepers in action. Hennesy was good, but Ruddy was the best I saw for them.

[quote user="CJ"]Sorry I really rate the SPL as it is simply a two horse race every year and the list of other clubs Ruddy has been at do not inspire.[/quote]Prior to joining us, Forster had no accolade, nor could he boast comments about him being the best goalkeeper in any League, let alone the SPL. By 21 his career was no more than 11 first team appearances for Stockport and Bristol Rovers (ask either set of fans, and you''ll find the kindest remarks go along the lines of "average", as i found out last season).He was a very good keeper, and we saw the best of what he had to offer, but it''s worth remembering he did have his faults. He hardly embodied "perfection" as a keeper, like comments on this board would have you believe. But he did hit very good form for us.I''ve heard far kinder comments about Ruddy than i did of Forster. Give him a bloody chance and it could turn out being some remarkably astute business by Lambert, and this time, with a player that belongs to us (just remember who was responsible for finding the talent of Forster in the first place).

I have to confess to not knowing much about him, but from what others have said he sounds like a decent prospect. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Welcome and good luck!

[quote user="morty"]So, just coincidence that we are playing Everton in a pre season friendly, and also sign a keeper from them?

Makes me wonder if we have had this on the back burner as plan B all along.
[/quote]

Plan B incase Newcastle are playing hard to get cos they already have a plan for Forster to go on loan to a Championship club closer to Newcastle you mean? [;)]

[quote user="morty"]So, just coincidence that we are playing Everton in a pre season friendly, and also sign a keeper from them?

[/quote]

Hopefully this is true of Dagenham too! Danny Green please Lambo!

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="morty"]So, just coincidence that we are playing Everton in a pre season friendly, and also sign a keeper from them?Makes me wonder if we have had this on the back burner as plan B all along.[/quote]

Plan B incase Newcastle are playing hard to get cos they already have a plan for Forster to go on loan to a Championship club closer to Newcastle you mean? [;)]

[/quote]That''ll be the one lol.

[/quote]

Does that mean maybe we will get Fraser then as we have a pre-season friendly against Newcastle?

[quote user="CJ"]Well that means Fraser Forster is going elsewhere can not believe Ruddy would want to come here to play second string and he would know he would if Forster here. I have to say totally gutted as I rated Forster very highly certainly would have been best in Champoinship.Sorry I really rate the SPL as it is simply a two horse race every year and the list of other clubs Ruddy has been at do not inspire. If Forster goes toBurnley as suggested it will simply be money which as always we aint got.Lambert is needing a miracle to do anything other than survive next year in the Championship [/quote]

[/quote]On the money issue everyone knows the clubs coming down from the Premier League have a massive advantage with parachute paymentshence Burnley can afford way more than we can for Forster. We have spent and sold for peanuts hence undisclosed sums everywhere.Every one knows we have debts 6 mill plus but then so do most clubs in Championship except those on parachute paymentsEvery one knows also without Forster last year we would have struggled to get anywhere, there are two vital positions Goal Keeper andGoal Scorer get those right and the rest is so much easier as we did last seasonI really hope you are right that Lambert pulls off another miracle but none of the signings to date have been major targets for other clubsand when we do come up against competition as with Bailey we seem to lose outAs I said Lambert will need another miracle but he did perform one last season[/quote]There is as much evidence to suggest we beat off major competition to sign Elliot Ward and Andrew Surman as there is to suggest we lost out to our competition in trying to sign Bailey.But then, that would just be speculation. [|-)]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="morty"]So, just coincidence that we are playing Everton in a pre season friendly, and also sign a keeper from them?Makes me wonder if we have had this on the back burner as plan B all along.[/quote]

Does that mean maybe we will get Fraser then as we have a pre-season friendly against Newcastle?

[/quote]No.[:|]

[quote user="John"][quote user="CJ"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is as much evidence to suggest we beat off major competition to sign Elliot Ward and Andrew Surman as there is to suggest we lost out to our competition in trying to sign Bailey.

But then, that would just be speculation. [|-)]
[/quote]

Agreed. Whose to say we did not think £1.4 million is too much for a player like Bailey. I would not have been conformatble with us splashing that sotr of cash on him. Yes we will get outbid for players by the likes of Middlesbrough if it comes down to purely cash but we are competitive with most of the rest of the clubs in this league on the transfer front.

Let us not discount the fact we own him. I would rather have a decent young Keeper who is ours rather than doing another club a favour by improving their player. Foster had some excellent strengths, shot stopping in particular, but he also had some weaknesses. I like the fact Ruddy for such a young goalkeeper has played a lot of games, and he seems to be improving with every step he takes.

Ruddy looks a bit thick in the pictures I''ve seen of him. I can foresee lots of occaisions of him standing with a perplexed look on his dim face with the ball nested in the back of the net.

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]Ruddy looks a bit thick in the pictures I''ve seen of him. I can foresee lots of occaisions of him standing with a perplexed look on his dim face with the ball nested in the back of the net.[/quote]

Unsuccessful Troll is unsuccessful.

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]Ruddy looks a bit thick in the pictures I''ve seen of him. I can foresee lots of occaisions of him standing with a perplexed look on his dim face with the ball nested in the back of the net.[/quote]F..K OFF   BINNER!!!

[quote user="Montgomery Bumpkin"]Ruddy looks a bit thick in the pictures I''ve seen of him. I can foresee lots of occaisions of him standing with a perplexed look on his dim face with the ball nested in the back of the net.[/quote]

Cuz FF looks like a genius!!

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=38215

In 37 games, he kept 15 clean sheets, which is very good.

In the remaining 22 games he picked the ball out of the net 64 times, average about 3 per match, conceded in those 22 games.

Seems like famine or feast.

Very good disciplinary record at Motherwell, no yellow or red cards, which suggests a cool temperament.

He does seem to have impressed a lot of people who have seen him play, and i''m sure Paul Lambert has got it right, as usual.

Thing is, there is still room for Forster to come in on loan. Would be good competition for each other!

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=38215 In 37 games, he kept 15 clean sheets, which is very good. In the remaining 22 games he picked the ball out of the net 64 times, average about 3 per match, conceded in those 22 games. Seems like famine or feast. Very good disciplinary record at Motherwell, no yellow or red cards, which suggests a cool temperament. He does seem to have impressed a lot of people who have seen him play, and i''m sure Paul Lambert has got it right, as usual.[/quote]

You are missing a key point of forum etiquette here. He hasn''t impressed a lot of people who haven''t seen him play, ergo he is crap. He is not first choice at Everton, ergo he is crap. He has played in the SPL, ergo he is crap. Oh, and most importantly he isn''t Frazer Forster, ergo...well, you get the picture.[;)]

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]Foster had some excellent strengths, shot stopping in particular, but he also had some weaknesses.[/quote]I would have been very hapy to see Forster back but I think that comment is perceptive. His shot-stopping and his physical presence were first-rate, his positional sense less so. Actually on the three occasions I saw Rudd last season I was more impressed by his positional sense and judgment - which are the qualities I look for first in a keeper. If your positional sense isn''t right all the shot-stopping ability won''t make up for that, although it may often cover it up.It would be interesting to have from anyone who''s seen Ruddy play an assessment of his particular qualities.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Strange picture of him on the Offy site...  http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2084371,00.html

Looks like two keepers going for the ball[8-)]

Everton sites generally hint he was let go. i.e. a freebee. Good business if it was a free.

[/quote]Would have been from his game in the Prem when they were winning 1-0, Freidal must have come forward for a corner.Have also heard that it was only around 200k we paid for him but can''t be sure whether thats true or not