Sign in to follow this  
yellow blood

Bar to close

Love the Eaton Cottage too Chops, though sadly don''t live near enough to class it as a local. Great real ale, fantastic landlord and staff and the bonus of Lee Vasey mid week. My old local (the Rosary Tavern) has closed, though new adopted pub (Jubilee) is a cracking local. Coach is also good, apart from matchdays when it''s just too busy!

Whereabouts is the Beehive, haven''t heard of that one before?

As for the bars on Riverside, a sign of the times I feel, money is tight and there were just too many of them. Although can''t say Squares was a favourite, I feel for the staff. Must be difficult finding secure bar work at the moment.

[quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]Just tonight I''ve been in the Trafford Arms and the Woolpack.  I like the Woolpack but pretty much every time I''m in there it''s virtually empty.  I do wonder how it manages to keep going.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]Just tonight I''ve been in the Trafford Arms and the Woolpack.  I like the Woolpack but pretty much every time I''m in there it''s virtually empty.  I do wonder how it manages to keep going.[/quote]The Woolpack''s just reopened. I live around the corner and pass it every day. It must have changed hands at least three times in the last couple of years.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Love the Eaton Cottage too Chops, though sadly don''t live near enough to class it as a local. Great real ale, fantastic landlord and staff and the bonus of Lee Vasey mid week. My old local (the Rosary Tavern) has closed, though new adopted pub (Jubilee) is a cracking local. Coach is also good, apart from matchdays when it''s just too busy!

Whereabouts is the Beehive, haven''t heard of that one before?

As for the bars on Riverside, a sign of the times I feel, money is tight and there were just too many of them. Although can''t say Squares was a favourite, I feel for the staff. Must be difficult finding secure bar work at the moment.[/quote]Eaton Cottage is a brilliant pub. I have the garden house just at the end of my road and the Langtry not far either so a decent selection. The Yotk and The Rose are both within walking distance too.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]The Woolpack''s just reopened.[/quote]Well it hasn''t "just" reopened, it''s been open for, I dunno, about a year now I think?  It closed early last year.  It''s still been extremely quiet since it opened again but it''s more expensive now so I guess they make enough money to keep it going.  To be honest the money they must pull in from my lot using the quiz machine must tide them over...!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]The Woolpack''s just reopened.[/quote]Well it hasn''t "just" reopened, it''s been open for, I dunno, about a year now I think?[/quote]No chance. It opened about a month ago. I saw the new owners move in. Are we talking about the same pub? The one around the corner from the hotel on Duke Street and opposite the church?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]
Just tonight I''ve been in the Trafford Arms and the Woolpack.  I like the Woolpack but pretty much every time I''m in there it''s virtually empty.  I do wonder how it manages to keep going.
[/quote]

The ''Traff'' will be always be okay because it serves Bitburger on tap [Y] 

For those who are missing their drinks in the Cricketers on Queens rd. I was in my local last night and a friend whos doing some work for the Lady who owns the Langtry,Rose valley, the Woolpack on Duke Street and a couple of other bars, is now going to take on the Cricketers.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For those who are missing their drinks in the Cricketers on Queens rd. I was in my local last night and a friend whos doing some work for the Lady who owns the Langtry,Rose valley, the Woolpack on Duke Street and a couple of other bars, is now going to take on the Cricketers.[/quote]Excellent. [Y]

Fingers crossed that the Cricketers returns in some form, but as an alternative I have found the Steampacket as a great stop off. It''s closer to CR than the nice pubs in the Golden Triangle and has Friendly staff and a good atmosphere, plus £2.50 a pint on match days and the odd plate of free grub never go a miss either! [B]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]Just tonight I''ve been in the Trafford Arms and the Woolpack.  I like the Woolpack but pretty much every time I''m in there it''s virtually empty.  I do wonder how it manages to keep going.[/quote]

[/quote]the Trafford is the best pub in Norwich.. anyone who says otherwise can step outside!the woolpack on Golden ball street is good too.. the Archant staff keep it going!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]
Just tonight I''ve been in the Trafford Arms and the Woolpack.  I like the Woolpack but pretty much every time I''m in there it''s virtually empty.  I do wonder how it manages to keep going.
[/quote]

[/quote]

the Trafford is the best pub in Norwich.. anyone who says otherwise can step outside!

the woolpack on Golden ball street is good too.. the Archant staff keep it going!
[/quote]

I reckon the Aviva staff help out as wel Jas [:D]

Rumsey Wells is probably my most regularly frequented pub nowadays. Love The York and like to go in the Freemason''s Arms or King''s Arms on Matchdays. Especially in the winter when you get the added bonus of traversing the "hill of death."

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For those who are missing their drinks in the Cricketers on Queens rd. I was in my local last night and a friend whos doing some work for the Lady who owns the Langtry,Rose valley, the Woolpack on Duke Street and a couple of other bars, is now going to take on the Cricketers.[/quote]Excellent. [Y][/quote]I wouldn''t expect it to be a particularly football-friendly pub as she has re-branded the Rose Valley into a sort of gastro/bistro pub and called it Fanny Batters or something equally obscure.I expect the Cricketers will become Essence of Ciabatta and you can only buy bottled elderflower presse in there.I think she is on a one-woman crusade to convert all proper boozers into her vision of ''gastros''… best she leaves The Golden Star alone!

Just goes to show that tin sheds masquerading as ''leisure'' outlets will never attract a consistent following - what would be good is if the whole of Riverside went t*ts up and could be knocked down and an attractive set of riverside pubs, cafes, bars and restaurants could be opened to replace it and not turn their backs on the river.  After all, if places like Exeter, York, Portsmouth, Birmingham and even Binnerville can make the most of waterside frontages why can''t we.  Riverside was a missed opportunity in the first place and could be so much better.  Anyway, if I''m not in the Gunn Club pre or post-match, it will have to be the Coach and Horses or the re-invigorated Mustard Pot (excellent comedy club btw on last Thursday of every month).

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]For those who are missing their drinks in the Cricketers on Queens rd. I was in my local last night and a friend whos doing some work for the Lady who owns the Langtry,Rose valley, the Woolpack on Duke Street and a couple of other bars, is now going to take on the Cricketers.[/quote]

To be pedantic and precise about this, the Woolpack you are talking about is on Muspole Street (just off Colegate, near the Golden Star).

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Love the Eaton Cottage too Chops, though sadly don''t live near enough to class it as a local. Great real ale, fantastic landlord and staff and the bonus of Lee Vasey mid week. My old local (the Rosary Tavern) has closed, though new adopted pub (Jubilee) is a cracking local. Coach is also good, apart from matchdays when it''s just too busy! Whereabouts is the Beehive, haven''t heard of that one before? As for the bars on Riverside, a sign of the times I feel, money is tight and there were just too many of them. Although can''t say Squares was a favourite, I feel for the staff. Must be difficult finding secure bar work at the moment.[/quote]

The Beehive is a lovely traditional real ale pub on Leopold Road - which runs between Newmarket Road and Unthank Road, near the Newmarket Road roundabout, approximately 1 mile from the city centre.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Love the Eaton Cottage too Chops, though sadly don''t live near enough to class it as a local. Great real ale, fantastic landlord and staff and the bonus of Lee Vasey mid week. My old local (the Rosary Tavern) has closed, though new adopted pub (Jubilee) is a cracking local. Coach is also good, apart from matchdays when it''s just too busy! Whereabouts is the Beehive, haven''t heard of that one before? As for the bars on Riverside, a sign of the times I feel, money is tight and there were just too many of them. Although can''t say Squares was a favourite, I feel for the staff. Must be difficult finding secure bar work at the moment.[/quote]

The Beehive is a lovely traditional real ale pub on Leopold Road - which runs between Newmarket Road and Unthank Road, near the Newmarket Road roundabout, approximately 1 mile from the city centre.

[/quote]

Used to frequent The Beehive many many years ago after football training and Sunday morning home games at Eaton Park.  Glad to see it is still thriving.  Was always a decent real ale pub.

Brannigans and Squares were the place to be.....Norge Blue was the trendy joint - and Lloyd''s was just a sticky floor and plastic pints on match-days.....

Of those above, there is only one survivor.....How many Wetherspoons establishments have fallen by the wayside?

As another poster said, Rocco''s is attracting the new football supporting genre....But try getting in there when it first opened, wearing a pair of Nike''s?....

The Nelson''s OK.....

C & H is a great pub, but gets so chocker - and once the ''regs'' have strategically positioned themselves by the bar on a match-day.....it gets far too cramped, especially when it''s colder and everyone wants to be inside.

I prefer a ''proper'' ale.....there''s a few boozers not too far from the ground that can satisfy my taste buds.....

[quote user="the unit"]squares is a s h i t h o l e. end of.[/quote]

Yep, but all those who drink in there will have to find somewhere else meaning better pubs become busier for [:@] those of us that don''t go to shitholes

[quote user="yellow blood"]

[quote user="the unit"]squares is a s h i t h o l e. end of.[/quote]

Yep, but all those who drink in there will have to find somewhere else meaning better pubs become busier

[/quote]Good. Better pubs should become busier and when they do they''ll take on more staff and more pubs will open/reopen.I''m pleased places like that are dying out, I''d rather neck a can on the way to the ground than drink in a place like that, although I have done before now (peer pressure I tells ya!). Coach n Horses is as good as pre match pubs get for me.

Cheap supermarket alcohol is killing off most drinking establishments and the fact that banks refuse to lend to bars and restaurants at the moment and in many cases are calling any lending they already have, in.