Sign in to follow this  
yellow blood

Bar to close

Just read that Squares is closing on Riverside later this month so I guess that the Queen of Iceni will be even more packed on a matchday. Think it might be worth just doing a mass order at the bar rather than going back for a second /third round[:@]

I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!!

[quote user="yellow blood"]Just read that Squares is closing on Riverside later this month so I guess that the Queen of Iceni will be even more packed on a matchday. Think it might be worth just doing a mass order at the bar rather than going back for a second /third round[:@][/quote]Well if im honest I cant say that really suprises me at all. Squares in never busy apart from on a matchday so doesnt really suprise me. Only reason we went in there is because they show early kick off games on the telly there. Inside it is a total dump. Unfortunately as people say Wetherspoons is going to be even more busy. When riverside first opened i seem to remember there being about 5 differerent bars there and now there is only wetherspoons left

[quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/eveningnews24/norwich-news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=News&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=xNews&itemid=NOED02%20Jul%202010%2021%3A05%3A33%3A563

It''s tucked away at the bottom of this story

[quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]

These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.

[/quote]

Yeah and half of them have shut down now aswell.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I thought it might close sooner or later. It always looks empty. Personally I was more upset when The Cricketers Rest on Queens Road closed.[/quote]Same here, used to love it pre match in the Cricketers.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I thought it might close sooner or later. It always looks empty. Personally I was more upset when The Cricketers Rest on Queens Road closed.[/quote]Same here, used to love it pre match in the Cricketers.[/quote]Have you been passed it recently? The flag is still up but it''s in tatters. Looks so sad. Somebody needs to buy that place and return it to its former glory. [Y]

Went past last week, would love to have the money to buy it, the atmosphere was always great in there, especially before Scum games.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.[/quote]I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.

That''s there stupid fault. They tgold us to get out because we didn''t have a drink. We were using the itbox machine thing, and we would have had drinks when we wanted them. Nobody else was in there, so even the publicity of having some people in there would have been better than none. But no. Apparently you must have a drink at all times.

Doesn''t suprise me at all. Well done the manager and the bouncers who decided that. Now you have no job. Congratulations.

Riverside''s going to be looking rather empty at this rate (although it''s not a bad thing Squares has gone).  Hopefully Hollywood Bowl will open soon so there''s a reason to go there.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Riverside''s going to be looking rather empty at this rate (although it''s not a bad thing Squares has gone).  Hopefully Hollywood Bowl will open soon so there''s a reason to go there.[/quote]I heard that was finished due to the car park issues (same reason Lager''n''Fight has been closed for years).

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.[/quote]I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.[/quote][Y] I like your style.

I agree Chops, these places have shut down the smaller places because of the prices. I only to go WS on match days, normally it''s occupied by dole head pi$$ head freaks

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.[/quote]I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.[/quote][Y] I like your style.[/quote]I am not one of those who likes to go and get pissed before a match (which some on here find hard to understand judging by previous conversations) but do like a pint before the game in a nice pub. Those who wana get pissed can go to Squares/Spoons etc, while I can enjoy a nice pint of something that doesnt taste like fizzy piss in a nice pub somewhere.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.[/quote]I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.[/quote][Y] I like your style.[/quote]I am not one of those who likes to go and get pissed before a match (which some on here find hard to understand judging by previous conversations) but do like a pint before the game in a nice pub. Those who wana get pissed can go to Squares/Spoons etc, while I can enjoy a nice pint of something that doesnt taste like fizzy piss in a nice pub somewhere.[/quote]I never drink before games.  At my age, even one pint means missing a random 5 minutes somewhere between minute 30-35... [:$]After games is different.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]

These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.

[/quote]
I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.
[/quote]

[Y] I like your style.

[/quote]
I am not one of those who likes to go and get pissed before a match (which some on here find hard to understand judging by previous conversations) but do like a pint before the game in a nice pub. Those who wana get pissed can go to Squares/Spoons etc, while I can enjoy a nice pint of something that doesnt taste like fizzy piss in a nice pub somewhere.
[/quote]

I never drink before games.  At my age, even one pint means missing a random 5 minutes somewhere between minute 30-35... [:$]

After games is different.
[/quote]

Was it the virtual riot in the Coach and Horses that put you off?[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wallerboi"]I hope this aint true but most likely is as norwegian blue shut down a few months ago and they were owned by the ppl that own squares. Norwich is turning completely shit with all these places shutting down!![/quote]These places were joyless and testosterone-fuelled chav holes anyway, catering to the lowest common denominator (let''s get as pissed as we can for as little money as possible).  Hopefully people will go back to their locals and discover that pubs, not bars, are the best place for drinking.[/quote]I know I sound like a snob but I would rather it stayed open so I knew where to avoid such people.[/quote][Y] I like your style.[/quote]I am not one of those who likes to go and get pissed before a match (which some on here find hard to understand judging by previous conversations) but do like a pint before the game in a nice pub. Those who wana get pissed can go to Squares/Spoons etc, while I can enjoy a nice pint of something that doesnt taste like fizzy piss in a nice pub somewhere.[/quote]I never drink before games.  At my age, even one pint means missing a random 5 minutes somewhere between minute 30-35... [:$]After games is different.[/quote]

Was it the virtual riot in the Coach and Horses that put you off?[;)]

[/quote]That game was a case in point, I was up and down those Upper Barclay stairs like nobody''s business.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Where will the alcoholics go now? Tsk tsk.

On the pitch at halftime?.....

[/quote]

Tesco''s, Asda, Morrisons,

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Riverside''s going to be looking rather empty at this rate (although it''s not a bad thing Squares has gone).  Hopefully Hollywood Bowl will open soon so there''s a reason to go there.[/quote]I heard that was finished due to the car park issues (same reason Lager''n''Fight has been closed for years).[/quote]Look at the linked article on the first page....says it will have opening date soon...

Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?

[quote user="Herman "]Norwich pubs seem to be dropping like flies.How many have gone now?And where does everyone go nowadays?[/quote]I drink in the Beehive (local), or the Rose Tavern (Sunday lunch), or the Eaton Cottage (favourite), or the Rumsey Wells (city), or the Coach and Horses or the Jubilee (footy), or (occasionally) Bayer Social Club.

If you saw the takings and the rent it was amazing it ever lasted as long as it did.

Its a shame but this is the reason for he recession and many pub closures the rents and rates are just so so high for such places.

I think the rivergarden also is up for sale/rent (maybe old news as I work abroad).

So it shows you that part of the city is really suffering.