Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Doc off to Greece maybe

Shame we didn''t have the opportunity to say farewell, but good luck to him.

Brilliant photo in the Pink''un today of the (in)famous "Doc wraparound tackle".

A guy from Greece has been posting about this on another forum I frequent:iraklis fan Posted 5/6/2010Hello all. The last couple of days it is rumoured in Greece that Gary Doherty agreed with Iraklis Thessaloniki (10th last year in the Greek Premier League). I understand he had a couple of tough years, with serious injuries but I see that last year was full in your high flying team. You probably understand that the Greek football is nothing like British in terms of the pace of the game and the ability of the players playing for most of the clubs (after living in UK for almost a decade now I can safely say that Greek Premier League is more or less at the same level to Championship).I just wonder how can you describe Gary, what shall we expect from him, if he is still injury prone, if he can lead a defence of young and inexperienced players, well any kind of information is appreciated!Thanks in advance and all the best to your team!

iraklis fan Posted 29/6/2010Thank you all for your feedback! Just a quick update on Gary Doherty, he is expected to arrive tomorrow to Greece for his medicals and if he passes then he will sign for 2 years for Iraklis.All the best to your team guys.

iraklis fan Posted 1/7/2010    Greece it is! His agent confirmed the agreement and he is signing a 2-years contract with Iraklis later today. If you are interested I can upload photos and keep you updated about his performance over the year.Thank you!

iraklis fan Posted 2/7/2010Last minute update! Doc failed to pass the medicals and the agreement has been cancelled. He is returning back to UK (probably after a visit to the Greek islands!).Very sad twist that was.

Yep, all the best to the man.  He wasn''t everyone''s favorite but gave everything for the cause. All the best to him, old school proper football player, something lacking these days.

See the Evening News today, have been looking at the pinbun. More or less word for word article, by what the greek chap said.

He hasn''t had serious injury problems though has he? And he hasn''t missed that many games over the last couple of years either.

Not going to suggest this is total BS becuase he may well have gone out to Greece to talk to a club. Just doubt very much that he would have failed a medical for a league which is probably on a par with a mixture of the championship and league one.

[quote user="chicken"]

He hasn''t had serious injury problems though has he? And he hasn''t missed that many games over the last couple of years either.

Not going to suggest this is total BS becuase he may well have gone out to Greece to talk to a club. Just doubt very much that he would have failed a medical for a league which is probably on a par with a mixture of the championship and league one.

[/quote]

Vets are much stricter than normal GP''s[:D]

After an unsuccessful medical for a Greek football club, a dejected Doc and his football agent make their way back to the airport......

I see they''ve already commemorated his tackling style with a mythological statue...[img]http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/upload/2007/08/wrestling.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I see they''ve already commemorated his tackling style with a mythological statue...

[img]http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/upload/2007/08/wrestling.jpg[/img]

[/quote]ROFLMFAO!

Classic Chops at his best. [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/lol.gif[/img]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]So the Doc signs a two-year deal with Charlton. I highly doubt he failed a medical in Greece then.[/quote]

The Greece story was rubbish, and one a lazy archant writer, stole word for word off another website, and is probably feeling a bit silly now.

[quote user="Boogle"]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]So the Doc signs a two-year deal with Charlton. I highly doubt he failed a medical in Greece then.[/quote]

The Greece story was rubbish, and one a lazy archant writer, stole word for word off another website, and is probably feeling a bit silly now.

[/quote]

He had an offer from Greece. It was between Charlton and the Greek team, I said this a while back but can''t be bothered to dig up my post. It even made the ''transfer rumours'' bit of the EDP. Haha.