Sign in to follow this  
QueensHills Canary

doc to charlton

[quote user="Bobert"]I could at least always recognise him... "There''s only one ginger Pele". Sorry to see him go and I think, to be honest, before his time.We seem to do that a lot these last few years .... move players along when with one more season they could score,or save, a vital goal. Small wonder there is a lack of loyalty from players as there is not much from the Clubs. I suppose it is all about money. Sad though.[/quote]

He had a contract. Contract expired...time for a fresh challenge. There are better options out there for our central defence. Why pay for a player that is going to be fourth (or more) choice? And he wouldn''t have been a cheap option. Good luck Gary wherever that may be

The Doc will be ok. Whether he goes to Charlton or elsewhere. There will be (and have been) worse players than him move around clubs this summer.

He''s got a good CV and I would think the only real issue would be his wages as he''s used to a wage that probably isn''t so easy to come by these days (outside the Premier League).

I''m sure if he was in his mid 20s and earning a bit less money then he''d still be a Norwich player but the manager has taken his chance to sign us a more long term prospect.

[quote user="dezmondo18"]this has been confined on sky sports news btw charlton on a two year deal[/quote]They say ''closing in''.  It isn''t quite ''he has signed''.  SSN has jumped the gun numerous times in the past.

[quote user="thirdlion"]I feel stupider after reading that post above me.[/quote]Thank God for pagination, then.

[quote user="Pissed As A Mattress"]Angel...When will Charlton play us?[/quote]

Guess I was as pissed as you ''''mattress'''' when I wrote that [:D] For a minute there I thought we were still in the same league!

if you live on queens hill (abbey farms sister estate )then good luck to you! youre gona need it ! lived there for 6 months,what a nitemare

I don''t get it.I thought the contract offered by us was not enough money. Are Charlton going to pay him more for League 1 football then?

Charlton Fans seem happy with this

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=35439&page=4

One Ginger Pele!!!

[quote user="H4H"]Charlton Fans seem happy with this http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=35439&page=4 One Ginger Pele!!![/quote]

Interestingly though they have said. ''Three years ago I would have baulked at this signing but it is ideal for where we find ourselves now.'' Its seems that many people seem to believe that Doc is an excellent third tier player but may struggle in the championship. All in all I think Lambert made the correct decision.

A good move on both docs and charltons elp get charltons parts. great third tier player indeed and im sure will help get them back to the champs where they belong.

one ginger pele!

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="H4H"]Charlton Fans seem happy with this http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=35439&page=4 One Ginger Pele!!![/quote]

Interestingly though they have said. ''Three years ago I would have baulked at this signing but it is ideal for where we find ourselves now.'' Its seems that many people seem to believe that Doc is an excellent third tier player but may struggle in the championship. All in all I think Lambert made the correct decision.

[/quote]

I don''t see it that way.

If the Doc is an excellent third div player but may struggle in the Championship then surely the same applies to all the other lads who played in L1 last season. What about the ones who didn''t make it into the top 3 for POTS or the ones who didn''t make L1 team of the season? You could read into that that they weren''t even as able at L1 as the Doc was.

I just think it''s more a case of Lambert having the chance to sign a younger model (probably a bit of wanting to sign his own players as well) rather than a judgement on the Doc''s ability.

I can see where you are coming from GJP and it would churlish not to admit that Doc was fantastic last season. But I think it should be remembered that player of the season is not always an accurate yardstick as to how good someone is. Lee Croft infamously won it last season. Would he honestly get in our side now? In fact I doubt he would get in that many championship sides. He cant get near the Derby team and they havent exactly ripped up the division. To be honest last season if someone like Korey Smith, Adam Drury, Chris Martin had finished third I wouldn''t have complained. I felt that as a team they were all fantastic last season.

I agree that Lambert wants to put his own stamp on the side. That is clear by his decision to let Spillane go as ultimately Russell Martin was a player Lambert signed. Hence he was never going to let him go. However if people are so certain that Doc has the ability to be effective at championship level then how come no one came in for him? Lets be honest here Charlton are absolutely skint so while he will be on good money other championship clubs could have got him if they had wanted to but choose not to. I am concerned about Lambert''s decisions to let the likes of Spillane and Stephens go but on this occasion I think he has got it right.

I go with you JP. I don''t feel good about these "Thatcherites" who see life as being all about being the best and getting paid accordingly. Time spent, loyalty expressed, hard workers are just as important to life as the burnt out kids who having run about and reorganised the stalls at Sainsburys or Marks and Spenser are rewarded for having done a good job when their predessors did it long ago.Some do not even know what glace cherries are let alone where to display them

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]Has this actually been confirmed anywhere? [^o)]

[/quote]

What, that he doesn''t have a wife or kids?

[/quote]Well yeah! Duh! He could have a secret wife, a secret husband, kids in every town up and down the country!!!!HOW CAN WE KNOW!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

I heard that Steven Gerrard got Doc''s secret wife (and her non existent sister ) up the duff and that''s why we didn''t win the World Cup, but don''t spread it around.....

[/quote]Mum''s the word! [;)][/quote]

Mums the word!! But every body knows that BIRD IS THE WORD!!

[quote user="plymouth yellow"][quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]Has this actually been confirmed anywhere? [^o)]

[/quote]

What, that he doesn''t have a wife or kids?

[/quote]Well yeah! Duh! He could have a secret wife, a secret husband, kids in every town up and down the country!!!!HOW CAN WE KNOW!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

I heard that Steven Gerrard got Doc''s secret wife (and her non existent sister ) up the duff and that''s why we didn''t win the World Cup, but don''t spread it around.....

[/quote]Mum''s the word! [;)][/quote]

Mums the word!! But every body knows that BIRD IS THE WORD!![/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/petergriffin.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Bobert"]I go with you JP. I don''t feel good about these "Thatcherites" who see life as being all about being the best and getting paid accordingly. Time spent, loyalty expressed, hard workers are just as important to life as the burnt out kids who having run about and reorganised the stalls at Sainsburys or Marks and Spenser are rewarded for having done a good job when their predessors did it long ago.Some do not even know what glace cherries are let alone where to display them[/quote]Errr, eh ?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

I don''t see it that way.

If the Doc is an excellent third div player but may struggle in the Championship then surely the same applies to all the other lads who played in L1 last season. What about the ones who didn''t make it into the top 3 for POTS or the ones who didn''t make L1 team of the season? You could read into that that they weren''t even as able at L1 as the Doc was.

I just think it''s more a case of Lambert having the chance to sign a younger model (probably a bit of wanting to sign his own players as well) rather than a judgement on the Doc''s ability.

[/quote]I dont agree with all this Lambert signing and wanting to play his own players and sticking with Martin over Spillane because he signed him. If Lambert thought Spillane was better he would still be at the club and playing ahead of Martin. Same with Doc. He had a good season but still made errors, errors that would (and did) cost us in the championship. Lambert made it clear if someone earned their place they would keep it and Doc did enough last season to do that, Askou/Whitbread were unlucky with injuries and Doc and Nelson were playing well enough to keep their places.As for POTS, all about opinions, Doc 3rd, lol! I personally would have voted a few others that had a better season - Nelson was solid and dependable and did what he had to do (minus Orient away!), Drury, Smith, Russell, C.Martin and without doubt, Hoolahan. I would argue Doc and Lappin had equally good seasons, disappointed at higher levels (though didnt really see enough of Lappin in the champ to compare) and now found their level and looked good, making us all forget previous mistakes and remember why we liked them in the first place. I thought they both had great seasons but would i want either to start in the champ? No

I felt Doc would be a liability at Championship level

Div 1 he was very competant, thrived in the rough & ready play actually

Good signings for Charlton and the correct decision from Lambert

Good move for both parties!

The Doc would of struggled to of got a bigger or better club than Charlton and they are getting one of the best defenders in League 1 without having to pay a transfer fee!

I will never alter my opinion that releasing one of our best players in his prime wasn''t a good move!

Charlton look like strong bets to win League 1 next season!