Sign in to follow this  
Bexley

Cody out on loan to Cheltenham?

A colleague of mine is a Cheltenham fan & has said that there is a rumour that McDonald could be going to Cheltenham on loan.

Where is he realistically in the pecking order at Norwich presently? 4th choice behind Holt, Martin and Oli?

[quote user="NCFC-47"]i would rather play cody than oli but then i do rate oli so its a tough one but i think cody has little more potential[/quote]You do realise that Cody Mac is actually 24, so is not really a youngster any more.....so really needs to start playing regular football if he is going to be good enough.......another season like last one, and he won''t really be up to it i don''t think, which is a shame, as i really rate him as a decent striker, quick, determind and can finish fairly well, plus is always looking to score....

We need to have at least two back up strikers I don''t think it would make sense to send him out on loan without a replacement being brought in.

Give him a year away on loan and I think he will come back a top draw Chump player. I like Cody a lot.

Oli has more to his game than Cody. He is a better all roundeder, he has good feet, and the height advantage and is everybit as quick as Cody.

I do like Cody though and think that he should have gone out on loan last season really. He needs games under his belt and experience. He can score goals at this level but needs to get that all round play built up so that he has more to give than just being quick.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Cody needs to play regular. IMO Lambert will loan him purely because he didn''t sign him.[/quote]I think he will loan him out because he needs it. Both him and Johnson are fine for 20 minute bursts at the end of games, but neither are capeable of 90 minutes in the champ.

is this not cody''s final year? if so he has a lot to prove, has he warranted enough for new contract at this rate unfortunately not.

He has to start making some noise either while away on loan or in the reserves and in training so he plays first team football. We will be buying a new striker and next season the chances our we will be looking for another if cody does not make a strong case to stay

While Cody is quick, and has an eye for a goal, technically he needs to improve. If his enthusiasm wanes, he would be very average. But if he can improve his technique then he would be a very useful player.

His attitude and effort endears him to fans and management alike, so for these reasons supporters and Lambert will give him every chance to succeed.

6 month loan with regular first team football would be just what he needs to show if he has what it takes to be anything more than an impact substitute for us.

I think Cody is probably only good enough for League 1 so not particulaly fussed whether he goes or not, he has a bit of pace and is capable of scoring a few at that level given a run of games but I personally don''t think he''s championship standard. He was another one of Gunns signings and I get the impression that Lambert doesn''t see much in him or he''d have given him more time on the pitch.

A loan makes sense, particularly if we are getting another striker in. There is a bit of a myth that has developed around Cody. Yes, he''s quick, yes, he''s got a good attitude and, yes, he''s scored the odd goal, but quite how high some people have raised him is beyond me. He is not a patch on Oli in terms of skill and looks like a League One, struggling Championship level player at the moment.

[quote user="Beauseant"]A loan makes sense, particularly if we are getting another striker in. There is a bit of a myth that has developed around Cody. Yes, he''s quick, yes, he''s got a good attitude and, yes, he''s scored the odd goal, but quite how high some people have raised him is beyond me. He is not a patch on Oli in terms of skill and looks like a League One, struggling Championship level player at the moment.[/quote]

Agreed. [Y]

Just like Spillane, QD is/was very over-rated. I would go with OJ.

Just because they come from the youth system doesnt make them world beaters....

And yes, i am aware that QD isnt from our youth system [:|]

I''d have to agree with Wiz here. If he could not break into the team in League 1 then I don''t see how he can do it in the Championship.

His main attribute is speed and enthusiasm, if this isn''t honed in a way he can play Championship football by now then we should look at other options. In a couple of years his speed will start to go and if he isn''t techinally good enough what is the point in having him still? He was worth the punt at 25k but I think we should look at option which will give us a more immediate return in terms of performances and goals, hopefully we can make a profit when he is sold to a League 1/2 team where he may have a more fruitful career.

Cody is a natural goal scorer and will score at any level. Rather have him as part of the squad.

I personally feel a little sorry for Cody. It''s unfair to say ''If he could not break into the team in League 1''. Truth is we had an unbelieveable season last year where Holt and Chrissy Martin scored a stupid amount of goals and they were fit all season. Breaking into the team with strikers in that form is impossible. I believe Cody has all the assets to be a good player for us but he needs regular games to develop. It is the same with Oli. We should not be too quick to discard Cody and a loan would suit.

Although he isn''t Lamberts player, PL clearly knows he brings something to the squad as he was always in the squad until injuries affected his season since the Millwall away game. Many people on here used to write the same about getting rid of Martin when he was loaned to Luton and look what happened there.

[quote user="Beauseant"]A loan makes sense, particularly if we are getting another striker in. There is a bit of a myth that has developed around Cody. Yes, he''s quick, yes, he''s got a good attitude and, yes, he''s scored the odd goal, but quite how high some people have raised him is beyond me. He is not a patch on Oli in terms of skill and looks like a League One, struggling Championship level player at the moment.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

Mcdonald done a good squad job for the team last season!

Yes hes raw and thats something that could possibly always be in him but he will score goals if he gets the chance!

I think he can do a similar job to what he done last season although with limited reserve games he may need a loan spell to help him out?

He was offered a contract extension so Lambert clearly sees some potential in him! Loan for the first half of the season might do hims so good though, with him coming back sharp for the tail end when we might need him due to injuries or suspensions. Dont forget he got some important goals for us last season against Walsall and hartlepool.

[quote user="birchfest"]He was offered a contract extension so Lambert clearly sees some potential in him! Loan for the first half of the season might do hims so good though, with him coming back sharp for the tail end when we might need him due to injuries or suspensions. Dont forget he got some important goals for us last season against Walsall and hartlepool.
[/quote]

Wasn''t their a clause in his previous one that automatically meant he was offered one after a certain amount of appearances.

I''m all for giving him a loan and therefore an extended run of games to see if he does ''develop''. But after a season and a half as a pro and at age 24 at what point do you think he will have developed? At this point most pacey players like Cody have been in professional football for 6 or 7 seasons and made the most of their natural attributes while their bodies still allow them to do so. Yes, there are exceptions such as Ian Wright but Cody is no Ian Wright and never will be.

Having said this I will happily eat humble pie if he notches 10 goals for us this season, I just don''t see it happening. 

I don''t see the point of putting Cody out on loan. But I do think he could struggle to get a place this season.

The forgotten man seems to be Luke Daley. I get the impression Lambert rates him and I''m hopeful this will be a big season for Luke. Last season he seemed to be very much part of Lambert''s plans until his injury. In fact he signed a three year contract last October.