Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Gills chairman hawking Jackson again

Banging on in the press about how they won''t stand in his way but the deal has to be right etc etc. Wonder how far apart we are in valuation terms? For soem reason i think he would be a real hit if he signed for us and a bit of pace is just what we are lacking at present.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Banging on in the press about how they won''t stand in his way but the deal has to be right etc etc. Wonder how far apart we are in valuation terms? For soem reason i think he would be a real hit if he signed for us and a bit of pace is just what we are lacking at present.[/quote]

Agreed JS , just what we need ........

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Banging on in the press about how they won''t stand in his way but the deal has to be right etc etc. Wonder how far apart we are in valuation terms? For soem reason i think he would be a real hit if he signed for us and a bit of pace is just what we are lacking at present.[/quote]

I rate Jackson but his true value given that he has a year left on his current deal is around 500k. I would not want to pay anymore for the guy because ulitimately he did not set the world alight at league 1 level. (I think he got about 11 goals and ended up on the bench towards the end of the season.) Meanwhile for approaching a million you could have had Billy Sharp (went to Donny for £1.1 million) or possibly someone like Charlie Austin. Both have achieved more than Jackson at this moment in time in terms of goalscoring. They are also both arguably stronger all round players as well. Austin in particular who at 6ft 2 could provide some physicality which we sometimes lack without Holty in the side.

I think Austin would cost quite a bit more than 1 million tbh, given Swindon have already lost Billy Painter and they are financially quite strong.

I rate Jackson highly and believe he is the best option and think he would be an excellent partner for Holt and also Martin. Hopefully we will get him!

Fair play to the Gills chairman he''s going to play the field and see what is on offer - much of which might appear once a bit of premiership money sloshes about.Unfortunately that doesn''t seem to fit in with City''s plans. Almost all the recent signings have come out of the blue (Everton!) so to speak. The club has put together the squad it wants and is now in head down get ready to start mode. A few more ''fringe'' players will go, as and when the right deal comes in and I''m fairly certain the club will look at a quality loan or two come early sept once the players have got a half dozen competitive games under their belt and lambert can see what needs strenghthening etc. Where Jackson fits into that I don''t know, but I would want Lambert concentrating on pre season preperations rather than being tied down with protrated and often fruitless negotiations.Remember how he had Colchester hitting the ground and running from the off last season. We need to do the same. Teams may still be trying to settle in with many having players who know their future lies elsewhere. Points gained here will be invaluable.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

I rate Jackson but his true value given that he has a year left on his current deal is around 500k. I would not want to pay anymore for the guy because ulitimately he did not set the world alight at league 1 level. (I think he got about 11 goals and ended up on the bench towards the end of the season.) Meanwhile for approaching a million you could have had Billy Sharp (went to Donny for £1.1 million) or possibly someone like Charlie Austin. Both have achieved more than Jackson at this moment in time in terms of goalscoring. They are also both arguably stronger all round players as well. Austin in particular who at 6ft 2 could provide some physicality which we sometimes lack without Holty in the side.

[/quote]

Remember Austin, whilst undoubtedly extremely talented was playing in a play offs chasing team, Jackson scored 18 goals in a very very poor Gillingham side, that has to be a very good indicator of his pedigree in my book (also he was benched due to a fall out with the manager). Would be extremely happy if we got him, reckon £600K would swing it in our favour.

Did I see in the Evening News today that Millwall are showing interest in Jackson? Bearing in mind that City apparently put in an offer, about a month ago, for Steve Morison matching an offer placed by Leeds, and preceding a subsequent Leicester bid, what chance that we''ve expressed a willingness to step aside from Jackson if they (Millwall) ensure Morison comes to us?

I think I am right in saying however quite a few of Jackson''s goals were from the penalty spot though. While Austin''s were all from open play because Paynter took the penalties for Swindon. I think Austin is the better player but in terms of affordablity Jackson is probably the right choice and I would love to see him here.

So Hoolahan wasn''t worth 1 million last year?

Beckford, Smithies from Huddersfield definiely worth over £1 million.

[quote user="City1st"]Fair play to the Gills chairman he''s going to play the field and see what is on offer - much of which might appear once a bit of premiership money sloshes about.

Unfortunately that doesn''t seem to fit in with City''s plans. Almost all the recent signings have come out of the blue (Everton!) so to speak. The club has put together the squad it wants and is now in head down get ready to start mode

A few more ''fringe'' players will go, as and when the right deal comes in and I''m fairly certain the club will look at a quality loan or two come early sept once the players have got a half dozen competitive games under their belt and lambert can see what needs strenghthening etc. Where Jackson fits into that I don''t know, but I would want Lambert concentrating on pre season preperations rather than being tied down with protrated and often fruitless negotiations.

Remember how he had Colchester hitting the ground and running from the off last season. We need to do the same. Teams may still be trying to settle in with many having players who know their future lies elsewhere. Points gained here will be invaluable.

[/quote]

I can''t imagine Lambert would need to be tied down in protracted negotiations. From what i''ve heard we are seriously interested in Jackson and that being the case I would expect Mcnally would be told to do a deal with the Gills if one can be done at a price which is acceptable to us. I still think this will happen this week.

pretty sure newcastle offered 3.5 mill for beckford in January, but i see your point not many league one players are worth more than 1 million. Jackson is a league 2 player afterall..

The point is NO contract is ever made public so all speculation is that - speculation.Remember how we supposedly paid £750,000 for Strikva (!) - turns out that was the sum total of his contract rather than any transferr fee.I would suggest that is what happens at this level.. The days of fee are pretty much long gone. it is usually a case of paying up the contract and then offering something better to the player. Many clubs with changed circumstances( lower income) will have to get the players contract taken on by another club. How much they have to pay to fund this is what will keep them searching around - witness the paupers at poorman road who are stuck until they can shift players on. In their case there appears to be litle funds to do any deals. Remember how Matt Jackson left City.

for 500k we could get someone like gary madine who is gonna tear up lge1 next season

and a mill would get us someone like simon cox

id like jackson but wouldn,t go much higher than about 700k

If we signed Austin and then landed Healy from wherever he is now we could have an Austin Healy partnership. A classic combination!!

Can anybody point me in the direction of some type of evidence that says we are definitely interested in Jackson or have made an offer?

[quote user="crafty canary"]If we signed Austin and then landed Healy from wherever he is now we could have an Austin Healy partnership. A classic combination!!
[/quote]Do you remember when Spurs had Robertson and Chivers Crafty? Reckoned to be the "jammiest" strikeforce in the league! [:)]

We need to get Collymore out of retirement and line up with Johnson(think about it)

[quote user="City1st"]We need to get Collymore out of retirement and line up with Johnson(think about it)

[/quote]Captain Pugwash by chance?