Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Lambert and Gary Holt

Assuming I''ve not made an error, but the pic of Lambert and Gary Holt on the front page? Is that new? Or was Holt here last season, I thought Holt was at Lowestoft.

In the article, Lambert says not to read too much in to it and that Holt is just here "to help out." Wouldn''t be surprised if he got a gig though.

I think I am right in saying Lambert signed him for both Wycombe and Colchester?

Yeah it does look like Holt.Maybe he has just hooked up with us on a casual basis for the pre season training.

On the news last night (cant remember if it was Anglia or Look East) they had clips from training, and Gary Holt was there, recognised him through the tattoo on his leg.

[quote user="Pabs"]In the article, Lambert says not to read too much in to it and that Holt is just here "to help out." Wouldn''t be surprised if he got a gig though.

I think I am right in saying Lambert signed him for both Wycombe and Colchester?[/quote]

aah.... Perhaps I should have read the article then...

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Lambert''s new signings are only here to ''help out''.  IMO it''s Lambert talk for being employed by the club.[/quote]If this is the case I would be extremely happy, the guy epitomises the phrase "good work ethic"

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Lambert''s new signings are only here to ''help out''.  IMO it''s Lambert talk for being employed by the club.
[/quote]

If this is the case I would be extremely happy, the guy epitomises the phrase "good work ethic"
[/quote]True, but as a player he drove me to despair at time.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Lambert''s new signings are only here to ''help out''.  IMO it''s Lambert talk for being employed by the club.[/quote]If this is the case I would be extremely happy, the guy epitomises the phrase "good work ethic"[/quote]True, but as a player he drove me to despair at time.[/quote]Oh right, he was actually one of my favourite players of the time.Yeah, he had his limitations, but he always gave about 4 million %. I liked Hoose for the same reason. Honest, hard working players.

Holt was a limited player but gave his all, was very likeable and played big parts in getting us to the play-off final and winning the First Division two years later.  What we''d give to have had a few like him in the side as we headed towards relegation.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Lambert''s new signings are only here to ''help out''.  IMO it''s Lambert talk for being employed by the club.
[/quote]

If this is the case I would be extremely happy, the guy epitomises the phrase "good work ethic"
[/quote]True, but as a player he drove me to despair at time.[/quote]

Oh right, he was actually one of my favourite players of the time.

Yeah, he had his limitations, but he always gave about 4 million %. I liked Hoose for the same reason. Honest, hard working players.

[/quote]

Holt was about 4 times the player Hughes was though. Holt was a fantastic player at championship level. He was always up for the battle and rarely came off second best. Unfortunately the Premier League was a bridge too far for him. But some of the criticism he recieved from the fans was absolutely appalling during that time. One of my favourite players along with Iwan and Malky. That is what a call having ''a strong spine'' within a team.

Yeah.  Think he got rushed to hosptial after the Birmingham away match in the Prem.  He''d had it for a while before it got discovered if I remember correctly.  The abuse he got from some fans, even after that, was appalling.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Lambert''s new signings are only here to ''help out''.  IMO it''s Lambert talk for being employed by the club.
[/quote]

[/quote]True, but as a player he drove me to despair at time.[/quote]

Oh right, he was actually one of my favourite players of the time.

Yeah, he had his limitations, but he always gave about 4 million %. I liked Hoose for the same reason. Honest, hard working players.

[/quote]

Holt was about 4 times the player Hughes was though. Holt was a fantastic player at championship level. He was always up for the battle and rarely came off second best. Unfortunately the Premier League was a bridge too far for him. But some of the criticism he recieved from the fans was absolutely appalling during that time. One of my favourite players along with Iwan and Malky. That is what a call having ''a strong spine'' within a team.

[/quote]

Amen to that. Holt was a warrior with real talent, his performance in the PO Final summed him up, with a broken bone in his foot. 

Hughes was a headless chicken with no discernible skills whatsoever, apart from running round clapping after a game. He wasn''t fit to lace Holt''s boots.

[quote user="Gunny is a Legend"]Holty would love to work at norwich, he has taken his coaching badges and is waiting for a chance.  He still holds city close to his heart.[/quote]

Have often seen him with his boy post-match coming out of the Jarrold.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yeah.  Think he got rushed to hosptial after the Birmingham away match in the Prem.  He''d had it for a while before it got discovered if I remember correctly.  The abuse he got from some fans, even after that, was appalling.[/quote]If I remember he had a Pulmonary Embolism or something like that.  As he was a tough sort of bloke he ignored the pain thinking it was just a bruise but it was obviously a little worse.

Good old "three lungs!" Absolutely loved him. Always gave his all and was one of those players that would "run through a brick wall" for the club. The step-up to the prem may have been a step too far but I will never forget the effort he put in week in week out and how important he was to us making the playoffs and gaining promotion after.

[quote user="morty"]Yeah, he had his limitations, but he always gave about 4 million %. I liked Hoose for the same reason. Honest, hard working players[/quote]

There are two fine examples of why we found ourselves in league one last year, the personification of everything that was wrong with the club and the type of ''football'' Worthington played. His refusal to stick with Holt ahead of Safri until the last few games of that season was the main factor in us going down. When Safri stepped in we were transformed... too little too late. You only have to see where they subsequently played to dee their pedigree

A couple of pub team headless chickens

Thats rather opinionated.

The real reason we were relegated from the premiership is rather simple - goals! Have a look at how many draws we had over that season. One more goal in any one of those draws and we would have stayed up, as simple as that.

Ashton from the word go and I am pretty sure we would have had a couple more goals.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I seem to remember Holt coming down with some sort of lung infection which seriously effected his game. Does anybody else recall this?[/quote]Yes I do.

I''m not so sure about this bringing in of players simply because we already have another player with the same name - it smacks a bit too much of trying to save money.

"Here we are ''three lungs'', your shirt has got G Holt already written on it"

" ''ere Declan, John''s coming off so wait a minute and I''ll take off that letter Y"

" Now stop complaining, you''re in the back so no one will see, and if makes you any happier I''ll write Martin under the name Russell"

"I know it''s an old shirt, and the S doesn''t match the other letters, but I don''t expect you got much better at Brighton"

"Oi, Lappin put the tracksuit top down, KS is Korey Smith not the King of Spain "

[quote user="chicken"]

Thats rather opinionated.

The real reason we were relegated from the premiership is rather simple - goals! Have a look at how many draws we had over that season. One more goal in any one of those draws and we would have stayed up, as simple as that.

Ashton from the word go and I am pretty sure we would have had a couple more goals.

[/quote]

Oh yeah... lack of points, forgot about those, well spotted

Ashton wasn''t available at the start of the season if you remember.

Gary Holt = Good bloke to have having with the training!

Great servant for the club although a bit limited!

Hughes was even more limited but I''d rather have them two than the likes of Keiron Gibbs, young winger from Reading, John Hartson, Sibierski, Adam Leijger, David Carney, Alan Gow, Ryan Bertrand (£700K for a years loan, crazy!), David Mooney, Chris Killen, OJ Koroma, - You could count the amount of good games these set of halfhearted, mostly ineffective loan players had on both hands and have a couple or three fingers to spare!