Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Signings so far . . . .

I have been stopping myself from getting too carried away but at the same time I have been looking around to see what other teams have done in terms of players coming in.

Leeds who have come up with us have only one player of real note to brag about and that is everybodies favourite friendly ghost (Casper). Other than that Painter who is a bit of a gamble and by no means a replacement for their last season''s top scorer who is set to become a benchwarmer at Everton.

We have not only signed players quickly, but players that look likely to push for a start from the off. Ward and Smith look as if they will be wanting first team football and not sit idly and also have a bit of pedegree behind them, and not the chum sort! Then you have Surman who is a bit of a gem of a player and at 23 still has a loot of football in him. - taking deep breaths, trying not to get excited.

Fox and Crofts are somewhat risky signings from the league we have just escaped but so far that is all Leeds have signed. And looking around the division there have been no real ''coups'' to talk of.

Our biggest loss will be Russell but even then how big a loss will he be? Arguably Forster will have been a bigger loss although that was altogether more predictable due to him being a loan signing.

I am pretty optimistic about this season as it is the first time I can remember us having more than two solid centrebacks since the time when we had Fleming, Jackson and Mackay.

The one question NOT asked by those interviewing Lambert was what position that one player he wants plays in - surely an obvious question.

My view on signings:

Ward - Played at this level long time. Experienced, and has taken a gamble himself moving here in some respects. Big, commanding and can take a good penalty. Very pleased with this one.

Stevie Smith - Don''t know a huge amount about him but seems to come with a good pedigree. Think he will probably emerge as 1st choice left back ahead of Drury.

Crofts - Very pleased with this one. I know he isnt proven at Championship level, but scored 7 last season from defensive midfield in a struggling team. From what I hear, he could easily step up.

Fox - Again, a bit of an unknown quantity. Unlike others, I think he is here to challenge Wes for playing in the ''hole.'' Good passing and free kick rival for Chris Martin.

Ruddy - Pleased we got him over Forster in some respects. He is OUR player, with Fraser there would always be the fear he would go back at any time. Seems big, commanding. We need to give him a shot and always have Rudd who has seemed dependable as back up.

Surman - This is potentially one of the Championship ''coups'' of the summer. Quality player with Southampton and I think he could be the goalscoring dynamo from Midfield we have been looking for.

On the whole, very positive. Just concerned about up front. Right Back - I truly believe that Martin CAN step up and that George Francomb has great potential also.

In his interview today PL admitted that he would like to bring in one more signing, if possible before leaving for Germany.

So, unless we sign a trialist or someone who arrives like Askou, which is not impossible, it seems that we shall have only one more signing.

The question is whether it will be a RB, where we now have only Martin (- in some people''s minds a slightly doubtful proposition) and a youthful Francomb, or a back up striker to Holt and Martin.

Both are of concern, unless PL is confident that we could have an emergency RB from one of the CBs, or play with only one up front supported by Hooly or ano.

We have signed five, and is it six or seven who have left (- three in the last 10 days). The squad will be smaller, but better in quality.

Much will depend on the one signing to be made - perhaps the lateness is a sign that it is a high value player PL has in mind. I hope so.

[quote user="morty"]Its obviously a striker he''s after, in my opinion.
[/quote]

I think so too. From his signings this season it is obvious Lambert is fully committed to the diamond so wingers are not a massive priority. Blackpool have shown with their 4-3-3 last season that systems like that can work in the championship. So the striker situation is a major priority. If Martin or Holt get injured I just don''t think that Oli or Cody are in a position to start a game at this level yet. Hopefully Jackson will be on that plane to Germany.

Does anyone else think we are shaping up 4-5-1 at the moment? With all these midfielders Lambo has brought in I wouldn''t be surprised if Wes plays just off Holt for the first few games of the season. I remain unconvinced that C.Martin can step up...

[quote user="Iwan_09"]Does anyone else think we are shaping up 4-5-1 at the moment? With all these midfielders Lambo has brought in I wouldn''t be surprised if Wes plays just off Holt for the first few games of the season. I remain unconvinced that C.Martin can step up...[/quote]Perhaps if we had a couple of wingers, 5 in midfield with no out-and-out wide men would congest the centre of the pitch just a touch.What i''ve noticed is they are all young players but not lacking in experience, this is similar to the policy Forest have employed over the past couple of years, we don''t have the money and backers Forest have but the players being brought in are hungry to push on in the careers and will improve over time as well, hopefully peaking whilst at City.Lambert also seems to be targetting technically good footballers who will get the ball down and play, my only concern is the physicality of the midfield area, i''m not disappointed about Rusty moving on because he has been found wanting at Championship level in the past but he was the only midfielder on the books who I felt capable of winning the midfield physically.

PL has said hopefully one more player before Sunday and then possibly thats it. That concerns me, despite the waves of optimism generated from last season they were times when we looked very poor, I would have liked to have seen another RB, Striker and possibly a winger......

[quote user="Salahuddin"]PL has said hopefully one more player before Sunday and then possibly thats it. That concerns me, despite the waves of optimism generated from last season they were times when we looked very poor, I would have liked to have seen another RB, Striker and possibly a winger......[/quote]Agree with all of that, alot of games towards the end of last season we looked very void of ideas, pace, and imagination. I think with 3 good acquisitions at right back, right mid/wing and a decent striker, will be the makings of a decent squad.

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="Salahuddin"]PL has said hopefully one more player before Sunday and then possibly thats it. That concerns me, despite the waves of optimism generated from last season they were times when we looked very poor, I would have liked to have seen another RB, Striker and possibly a winger......[/quote]
Agree with all of that, alot of games towards the end of last season we looked very void of ideas, pace, and imagination. I think with 3 good acquisitions at right back, right mid/wing and a decent striker, will be the makings of a decent squad.
[/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised if we got in one more signing this week, probably Jackson but then added a few loanees to the squad later on. Most player become available for loan early August as teams finalise their squads. I can''t believe Lambert is totally secure with only having two RBs at the club and one of those being a youth player, but I suppose that Smith can cover there if needs must.

The only signing which has stood out for me from all the other clubs in the champ is Boyd. He will score 25+ this season. Other than that i cant think of any other signings by any champ teams. We have at last signed some players early in the window for a change and hopefully they can gel quickly. Take a look at teams like Hull, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Forest, Preston, Coventry, i cant name one player who these teams have signed. Have they signed anyone yet?

My view of the signings so far

Ruddy - A really good signing, he will be OUR number 1 this year and hopefully a consistent one.

Ward - A quality signing i think he will be one of the 2 first choice centre backs.

Smith - A young left back with bags of potential and hopefully bring the best out of Drury.

Fox and Crofts - I am undecided on these so far.

Surnam - I am really exited about this guy!!!!!!

My 11 would be

Ruddy

Martin

Ward

Nelson

Drury

Surnam

Lappin

Smith

Hoolahan

Martin

Holt

Does anyone know how good Francomb actually is? Cos I''m reading a lot on here writing him off as back-up RB before he''s even kicked a ball in anger this season? Is he not good enough, too young, or is this just a typical case of Pinkun fans slagging off our Yoofs (except the ones we let go - Crow, Lewis, Spillane)?  Just curious, is all...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Does anyone know how good Francomb actually is? Cos I''m reading a lot on here writing him off as back-up RB before he''s even kicked a ball in anger this season? Is he not good enough, too young, or is this just a typical case of Pinkun fans slagging off our Yoofs (except the ones we let go - Crow, Lewis, Spillane)?  Just curious, is all...[/quote]Saw him play a few times in the reserves and looked pretty good, albeit against lesser opposition I accept. If he is still here after Lambert has cleared out the likes of Spillane then Lambert must reckon him good enough.

"We have signed five, and is it six or seven who have left (- three in

the last 10 days). The squad will be smaller, but better in quality."

I don''t think you could really include Cureton or Stephens as both were out on loan. Elliot didn''t really figure as disn''t McVeigh and Rose was unlikely to step up a league so although they were in the squad we have only realistically lost three in Doc, russel and Rose. I suspect a couple more will move on, just waiting for a club to take them on. I''m not sure if McNamee is really up to it either. Most likely Lambert (and others) will work on him, Cody, Oli and to get them up to speed. That is how I feel the signings will fit in. Those like Surnam, Smith and Ruddy will most likely start straight away, as might possibly Ward, with Fox and Crofts being brought up to scratch.What is moe pleasing is that the signings were very early on which suggests that the club had indentified those they wanted, had already pretty much sounded out their wish to join, and the subsequent cost. Something that was happening way before we were even promoted.It is that level of planning and forethought that gives me a good deal of confidence.

Salopian said..............

In his interview today PL admitted that he would like to bring in one more signing, if possible before leaving for Germany.

So, unless we sign a trialist or someone who arrives like Askou, which is not impossible, it seems that we shall have only one more signing.

Why? He only said we would have one more signing before we went to Germany.