Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Everton and Newcastle friendlies....

I''m looking forward to watching us play against Newcastle and Everton before the start of the season. I hope we don''t get beaten heavily in these games and destroy our confidence! I remember 2 years ago being all up beat and looking forward to the new season.Then we played spur''s and got thrashed 5 1...It destroyed any confidence in the players before the season even began then we went on and got relegated!!! I hope we make a good account of ourselves in the 2 friendly''s and not get humiliated and start our season with no confidence.

Anyone else worried, or are you confident we will do ok?

That is always the danger, up until last summer against Wigan we seemed to take a hiding from Premiership clubs pretty every pre-season. I always remember playing Arsenal in what was Arsene Wenger''s first pre-season and getting humiliated 6-2 , including being 4-0 after 20 mins to an Ian Wright hattrick. I think this contributed to a poor start to the season and it took weeks to recover from that, it''s almost as if 4 weeks of pre-season prepaation goes up in smoke, I often wonder whether it''s really worth playing Premiership sides for this reason?!

Looks like forster will be in goal for the toon game then....

Although I think it can sometimes represent a wake up call. Newcastle got thrashed 6-2 by Leyton Orient and I think it just meant that a lot of home truths were told in the dressing room. This helped them to iron out any major problems before the season started and vital points/momentum were lost. The reality was in the Spurs game we were exposed for exactly what we were. A very poor side that ultimately went on to be relegated. It should also be remembered that Spurs under Ramos basically forgot how to win once the season started which made that result all the more alarming. To be honest it is important for players to play against good opposition in pre season because it is the nearest a friendly will ever get to replicating a genuine competitive match situation.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

That is always the danger, up until last summer against Wigan we seemed to take a hiding from Premiership clubs pretty every pre-season. I always remember playing Arsenal in what was Arsene Wenger''s first pre-season and getting humiliated 6-2 , including being 4-0 after 20 mins to an Ian Wright hattrick. I think this contributed to a poor start to the season and it took weeks to recover from that, it''s almost as if 4 weeks of pre-season prepaation goes up in smoke, I often wonder whether it''s really worth playing Premiership sides for this reason?!

[/quote]

Yes it can have a detremental effect, but I suppose it''s better to be beaten by a Premier League team than one from the Championship or lower.

Thing is, it will only get you so far playing lesser opposition that you are expected to beat, you have to test yourself against better teams.

I don''t think you can read too much into these pre-season games one way or another. We had a pretty could pre-season build up last year, and look what happened in the first match of the season!!

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I don''t think you can read too much into these pre-season games one way or another. We had a pretty could pre-season build up last year, and look what happened in the first match of the season!![/quote]

Balls! Where''s the edit button? For COULD read GOOD.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I don''t think you can read too much into these pre-season games one way or another. We had a pretty could pre-season build up last year, and look what happened in the first match of the season!![/quote]

Balls! Where''s the edit button? For COULD read GOOD.

[/quote]But it shows the folly of playing lesser opposition and not really testing yourself, building up false confidence only to be brought down to earth with a bump!Still, if you believe the rumours, I''m sure the players enjoyed the Scotland trip lol. I''m hoping pre season will be slightly different this year!

[quote user="First Wizard"]Apart from fitness, friendlies mean bugger all, even the tackling is toned down![/quote]I haven''t been on in a while. I was kind of hoping you''d died. Nice signature btw.