Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

Premiership Standard Players?

Well of the players in the squad that I have seen play, possibly Chris Martin but I don''t know about the rest

Hoolahan would get torn to shreds in the Premiership.  Also Chris Martin has a long way to go before he is Prem quality but I do believe if he puts in the effort he could get there one day.  Also, unless some of us have watched Rangers games regularly we don''t know much about S.Smith at all so I think we have to see him play before we can say he is Prem quality.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]Rudd, Steven Smith, Korey Smith, Chrissy and possibly Hoolahan.[/quote]Serious LOL. Are you kidding? [:|]

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]Rudd, Steven Smith, Korey Smith, Chrissy and possibly Hoolahan.[/quote]Serious LOL. Are you kidding? [:|]
[/quote]

I was struggling to think up names [:S]

I swear there are some delusional city fans who think our squad is full of premiership quality. We have players with potential to be premiership quality such as Chris Martin, Korey Smith, Steven Smith, however I would only really class Andrew Surman at the minute as capable of playing regularly in a mid-table premier league team.

I personally think McNamee is over rated by everyone, but I won''t call you an idiot just for suggesting. [y]Not too sure we''ve got many, considering they''ve just come up from League 1. Surman has given it ago.. Did he fail, or was he just not given the chance, considering Matt Jarvis had a great season... But I personally think we have a talented Championship squad, and that''s what we need right now. [:)]

No one knows. This isn''t Football Manager 2010.Football is at least 50% mental/psychological, I would have thought England''s non-performance at the world cup proves that.It''s why a good manager can get a *lot* more out of the same players than another manager might. It''s why a L1/L2 team can beat a Premier/Championship team in the cup and make them look second best. I believe we have an excellent manager right now and while he''s not been tested at that level, everything I''ve seen/heard from Lambert suggests he will continue to set high standards and fill his team with players who thrive on those standards.So for me, virtually any of the current squad could turn out to be good enough to at least do a job consistently. Consistency is the key, the mentality to carry the giant-killing cup mentality into the next game.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I swear there are some delusional city fans who think our squad is full of premiership quality. We have players with potential to be premiership quality such as Chris Martin, Korey Smith, Steven Smith, however I would only really class Andrew Surman at the minute as capable of playing regularly in a mid-table premier league team.[/quote]

I agree with that.  I believe that Korey Smith could be really good one day, and it won''t be too long before he is our captian and I wouldn''t put it past him if he was a Premier League captain before he is 28.

McNamee, are you having a bubble?He hardly set the world alight in L1 did he?  Looked all tricks and no real quality to me.Hoolahan is too one footed to ever make it in the Prem, how Messi has done it is beyond me really, but then it would be unfair to compare the two!Korey could make it in the Prem one day, and Chris Martin could if he applied himself properly as he is a natural goalscorer.  Otherwise I wouldn''t want to judge any of our new signings.  I don''t really think anyone in the rest of the squad could make it in the Prem to be honest.

In response to the Surman point....I asked my Wolves friend exactly the same question. he basically said that Jarvis has played top notch for them this season, and when Surman did play, he was played in defence or in the middle and not out on the left. That''s what he said anyway. So we shall have to wait and find out. Still, i think he''ll tear some teams up in this division!

I''ll wait and see if any of them can deliver in the Championship first.

We might find this season that a couple of players don''t live up to expectation and a couple of others do better than expected.

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Maybe we should dig this up in december see how players are dong?
[/quote]

This time next year would be even better.

I don''t think Hoolahan is Premiership quality but that''s nothing to do with him being one footed. After all Andy Townsend did ok, as did Arjen Roben (spelling?). Its more to do with him being lightweight & slow. Saying that, I expect him to have a good season in the Champ!

I think the only one that I''ve seen play who might cut it at Premiership level IS Hoolahan.

His ''onefootedness'' might prove his undoing, but his movement, vision and range of passing I would say stands up ok. Anyone remember his performance in the pre-season game against Tottenham?..they found it hard to handle him. His pass to Whaley against Wigan?

I actually think the guy is underrated.

We havnt got one premiership class player in the squad...If so they would be in the top league.Though i do think that Korey Smith could one day be there. In my opinion Chris Martin will never change his attitude so hes a no,Drury ... maybe a few years ago perhaps.Deffinatly not Hoolahan either ( if i remember rightly ) the game after Millwall at home (i think, may of been Millwall) Kenny Jackett said hoolahan was the best player in this league, since that game he got marked out and found out near enough every game, and thats at league 1.