Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

4-2-3-1?

I was reading this rather good article http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/jul/09/world-cup-2010-tactics-the-question and started to wonder whether we could adopt a form of 4-2-3-1 as many teams in the world cup have.

Obviously we are a little bit less skillful than most of them but surely there are some lessons to learn from them. I mean if so many different teams with such a variety of skill levels and playing styles are using it there must be a reason?

Looking at our team it seems that Lambert has been aiming to have a full team of outfield players comfortable with the ball at their feet so controlling the ball should be an important part of our tactics for next season. Obviously we do not have the skill to play like Spain but even from them there could be some lessons for us, pressing further up the pitch and defending through possession.

Anyways I was thinking about how we could line-up in this formation, I was thinking:

Ruddy

Martin Whitbread Ward Smith

Smith Hughes

Martin Hoolahan Surman

Holt

What do you guys think? Generally a lot of teams having been playing one attacking full back who is covered by a defensive mid of by the other 3 defenders shifting over, from the sounds of it Smith enjoys going forward so he could fulfill that role. The defensive mid''s need to be very good with the ball as well as closing down thats why I went with Hughes with Smith to run around like a crazy person to get the ball. Hoolahan can play in the way he did last season, but this time with more options going forward. Martin can play the "Thomas Muller" role, while Surman acts as more of a creative mid/winger.

We actually played with this formation occasionally last season. Lambert would occasionally change the shape when we were chasing a game, bring on McNamee onto the left and Martin dropping to play right wing, or even just behind Holt pushing Hoolahan out to the right (where Oli Johnson would sometimes play).

Could work but having Holt as a lone striker would mean we would have to play with 2 ''proper'' wingers!

CD Mullins: Holland play this and yes Robben is a proper winger, but would you call Kuyt a winger? If you was going to adopt this formation you would have to have to disciplined sitting midfielders. So I would go with

Smith               Crofts

Mcnamee                        Hoolahan                        Surman

Holt

Reason for Mcnamee would be I think we need out and out width on at least one side and he has a wicked cross which Holt should thrive upon. I know many will disagree with me but this is very much the Dutch system with Smith and Crofts being our Van Bommel and De Jong. Then Hoolahan is our Sneijder, Robben our Mcnamee and Surman our Kuyt. Then the lone man being Holt who is our Van Persie if we stick with the Dutch example.

Looks good to me, it probably suits are current crop of players best with only C.Martin out of postion, although he has played there for luton previously. good post though.

[quote user="PL"]

I know many will disagree with me but this is very much the Dutch system with Smith and Crofts being our Van Bommel and De Jong. Then Hoolahan is our Sneijder, Robben our Mcnamee and Surman our Kuyt. Then the lone man being Holt who is our Van Persie if we stick with the Dutch example.

[/quote]

Or go for the German model

Smith and Hughes being our Khedira and Schweinsteiger. Hoolahan as Ozil, Martin as Muller, Surman as Podolski (haven''t really seen anything of Surman myself so not sure whether he could do this, but then again all he''d have to do is run quickly and miss penalties) then Holt as Klose.

PL: would you not start with martin on the right and use Mcnamee as an impact player coming of the bench?

Thats my point though PL, Holt is no Van P (in terms of style), Holland like to play neat, short, compact football, through the middle.

Where as us, using Holt would want to aim as many crosses as possible at him, hence needing 2 ''proper'' wingers.

This would also mean we would need someone bigger than Wesley arriving with Holt.

[quote user="諾維奇城"]PL: would you not start with martin on the right and use Mcnamee as an impact player coming of the bench?[/quote]

Every time i''ve seen Mcnamee, he''s had a better game being in from the off...

When he comes on as a sub, he doesn''t really get involved in the game.

Martin off the bench would do better for me at the start of the season.

Martin has always been effective coming in from the left on his right foot. Running at defenders, he can cause problems. Putting him in an advanced, leftish position with Holt as the frontman in that formation would be interesting to see.

Also, Jonathan Wilson is absolutely top. You should read his books.

Lambert has given me the impression, that he''s a fan of these modern formations.  IMO he believes if we can keep the ball and pass, we''ll be a match for any team in this league.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mahogany"] 4-2-3-1?[/quote]

If you like, but I prefer 4-3-2-1.

[/quote]

Or bring in Ted Rogers and Dusty Bin and play 3-2-1.Now that will have the young uns scratching their heads and wondering what i am on about.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I wouldn''t be suprised at all if Lamber were to scarifice a strier for an extra midfelder for some of the tougher looking away matches i.e Middlesbroughs etc[/quote]

playing for a draw - boo!