Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Dereham Vs Norwich and some pics

A decent start to the friendlies i thought, was always just going to be a bit of a kick about and a first glimpse at the new signings. But for what it''s worth i thought Fox and Crofts looked good, Ruddy had nothing to do but from the warm up looks like hes got a decent kick on him (something Forster didnt have), Nelson had a better game than Askou just to add a bit more to that argument! Lappin needs to make the most of these friendlies as it could be the last we see of him - corners were poor and he didnt really get into the game. Hoolahan had a stinker for the first 15/20 mins, then got more into it with some good passes and some neat footwork - funniest moment of the day was early on when Hools messed up another pass, Lambert put his head down and said (quite loudly) "f**king hell wes!". Holt and Martin looked pretty good, Holt had a cracker of a volley go just wide and Martin looked good on the ball but didnt get many chances in front of goal.2nd half was a better all round performance imo, dont know if thats because the Dereham guys were tiring while we''d changed the whole team or just some better play. Steer had little to do but made a good save from a surprisingly good Dereham move, Francomb was very impressive in the unusual position of CB alongside Whitbread who did nothing special (time to start worrying about him yet?). Smith almost seemed like captain, playing with a lot of confidence and getting messages across to all and even playing RB he put in one of the best performances of the day. S. Smith never really got into the game and had a couple of bad touches, he never seemed to want the ball, though first time ive seen him so wait to judge. In centre midfield Hughes looked assured and spread the ball well while Surman was poor and made a few mistakes (hes our top signing of the summer right?). Dawkin had moments of inspiration and moments of frustration but hes young and will get the weaknesses out of his game (hopefully). He was also playing right wing and hes a striker isnt he? Did a decent job out wide anyway and switched sides well. Finally up front, oli was usual all tricks and runs but they mostly didnt come off and against a side like Dereham that''s got to be a worry even at this early stage, which leaves...Cody! His usual 100% effort and simplicity in play worked well and he fully deserved his 2 goals (would''ve been a hat trick but for a fantastic save from the Dereham goalie), the first he was given too much space but a cracking shot from the edge of the area into the corner and the second reminded me of the 3rd against Stockport last season, did all the hard work to win the ball off the defender, took it round another and the goalie and shot into the empty net. A great performance and i hope he gets a chance in the championship.All too early to start critisising or praising players too much but a solid base to start and look forward to Newcastle and Everton and then Watford on the 7th!Someone mentioned putting some pics up, so heres some i took, http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o1/marsh2097/Dereham%20Vs%20Norwich%2010th%20July%202010/

Enjoy [:)]

Thanks for your report and Pictures.Sounds like it was a very enjoyable afternoon. Good to see the Team get started again :)

[quote user="swindon canary"]Thanks for the review. Anyone think that Cody will stay? will he get frustrated being on the bench?[/quote]Really hope so, it was only 1 game but showed its not all about tricks to score goals and they werent easy either. Got a good strike and works really hard, was easily the best of the strikers yesterday. Think he will be involved this season as at least he was there unlike OTJ, Wiggins and Gill. Lambert kept praising him throughout the half and i think he offers something else up front. All depends if we sign another striker before the start of the season as i think Oli would be preferred to come off the bench to change a game than Cody, but if this is it for strikers then he''ll have his part to play this season and hopefully score some important goals like Hartlepool home and Walsall away. Plus he''s a fan favourite!

Don''t think he''ll be frustrated on the bench, must be used to it by now and realises he''ll be 3rd/4th choice. Also knows Lambert rewards good performances and as hes always working hard and has already started scoring goals, ok against Dereham but none of our other strikers managed it, then he''ll get the chance in championship matches.

Thanks for the Pics, I think Cody will be involved this season IF we don''t sign Jackson or similar. I''m kind of torn, would love to see another striker but also want Cody to succeed at Norwich.

Couldn''t agree more Sal. Cody is one of the main players I really want to see succeed but would also love to see another striker come in.

Great pics. Loving the fact that Lambert''s sat on a deckchair. Do you reckon the board will pick up that they could perhaps stick some fans in the dugouts for extra money and the coaching staff out on deckchairs? Hahaha.