Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

A bit of perspective

It''s been interesting reading other people''s views of yesterday''s gentle work out at Dereham, but for the benefit of those who didn''t go, I think it''s worth emphasising that very little should be read into either the performance or formations used. It amuses me that the usual suspects have got stick (Russell Martin spent his whole 45 minutes on the overlap, linking up well with the strikers, yet gets all the standard criticisms of "didn''t get forward enough"). Whitbread had a poor game against Stockport but looked strong and sharp yesterday, yet we are invited to consider whether we "should start to worry about him yet". Everton and Newcastle, once the players have had a full pre season together, may be a suitable time to make some preliminary judgements, but a one sided encounter with a hard working Ridgeons League team can only be seen as a pipe opener.

I really don''t know how the likes of Surman, Smith, Whitbread, Fox and Crofts will turn out, but to start making in depth judgements on the back of yesterday is hopelessly premature.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

It''s been interesting reading other people''s views of yesterday''s gentle work out at Dereham, but for the benefit of those who didn''t go, I think it''s worth emphasising that very little should be read into either the performance or formations used. It amuses me that the usual suspects have got stick (Russell Martin spent his whole 45 minutes on the overlap, linking up well with the strikers, yet gets all the standard criticisms of "didn''t get forward enough"). Whitbread had a poor game against Stockport but looked strong and sharp yesterday, yet we are invited to consider whether we "should start to worry about him yet". Everton and Newcastle, once the players have had a full pre season together, may be a suitable time to make some preliminary judgements, but a one sided encounter with a hard working Ridgeons League team can only be seen as a pipe opener.

I really don''t know how the likes of Surman, Smith, Whitbread, Fox and Crofts will turn out, but to start making in depth judgements on the back of yesterday is hopelessly premature.

[/quote]But Ipswich won 9-1 and 6-0, we are just shocking, relegation is surely the only outcome?!?

Things would be so much easier if all pre season games were just behind closed doors. Why people continue to read into games that are purely there to build up fitness and communication is beyond me. The games are there to get people into shape after their summer holidays and to give the players time to gel with newcomers. Nothing more. 10 games into the real season is when I think you can genuinely get a feel for how players are doing.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

But Ipswich won 9-1 and 6-0, we are just shocking, relegation is surely the only outcome?!?
[/quote]

I''ve put a ton on us being relegated with no points mate. Easiest money I''ll ever make. That Lambert hasn''t got a clue[:D]

I''m worried that Holt didn''t score, too - it surely suggests he is going to be hopelessly out of his depth in the Championship! We''re in for a long struggle this season, for sure!!

Or not.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]The "should we start to worry about him yet" was sarcasm on the sort of comments that you are talking about. I obviously didnt make that clear tho. I really rate Whitbread and thought he looked great when he came on against Brentford when we went to 3 at the back after Holts sending off. Other than that havent seen enough of him to judge.yesterday i thought he was poor, def not stong and sharp as he was out-muscled a couple of times at least by players a lot smaller than him and misjudged a couple of passes. But as i also said in my post its too early to tell how good players are etc etc.As we actually had a game to watch, rather than transfer talk or other such like, i thought it would be good to share some thoughts on the preparation for the upcoming season, and Lambert was certainly taking the match seriously - after hearing his comments during the match would love to know his true thoughts on the performances of S.Smith/Oli compared with Cody/Korey, rather that just what he says for the media.

[quote user="Persnickety"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

The "should we start to worry about him yet" was sarcasm on the sort of comments that you are talking about. I obviously didnt make that clear tho. I really rate Whitbread and thought he looked great when he came on against Brentford when we went to 3 at the back after Holts sending off. Other than that havent seen enough of him to judge.

yesterday i thought he was poor, def not stong and sharp as he was out-muscled a couple of times at least by players a lot smaller than him and misjudged a couple of passes. But as i also said in my post its too early to tell how good players are etc etc.

As we actually had a game to watch, rather than transfer talk or other such like, i thought it would be good to share some thoughts on the preparation for the upcoming season, and Lambert was certainly taking the match seriously - after hearing his comments during the match would love to know his true thoughts on the performances of S.Smith/Oli compared with Cody/Korey, rather that just what he says for the media.
[/quote]

Sorry mate, missed the sarcasm, it was just a comment that stuck in my mind.. My point (which wasn''t aimed at any one person)  was that , while comment on the game is useful, trying to draw hard conclusions is really premature, yet inevitably people will do it. For me, it''s just good to have the approaching prospect of football played by people we care about, rather than England''s preening primadonnas!

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]But Ipswich won 9-1 and 6-0, we are just shocking, relegation is surely the only outcome?!?[/quote]

I''ve put a ton on us being relegated with no points mate. Easiest money I''ll ever make. That Lambert hasn''t got a clue[:D]

[/quote]I''ve already made a huge banner stating ''Lambert Out'', I think I''ll have a lot of support for it to be honest [:)]Ah, the PinkUn messageboard, a place of such diverse views.It''s almost as if some people have never witnessed a pre-season before, didn''t we draw with Dereham not too long ago?  The lads have only been back in training for a couple of weeks for heavens sake!So far I''ve been impressed with what Lambert has managed to bring in this Pre-Season, and we can all start making early judgments after the two ''showpiece'' friendlies.  Even then it may have no bearing on our season, I''m sure many weren''t looking back at the Palace and Wigan games last year when we lost 7-1 on the first day.

Frankly I believe the club has made a big mistake here.Firstly Dereham play in Black and white stripes. How is that going to help the players acclimatise ? No one else in the championship plays in Black and White stripes. We are even playing Newcastle, who play in black and white stripes.

Secondly the cost. I bet the players didn''t use public transport either. We could get a decent championship player, in the making instead. Get into the premiership then we can start to travel to games. And finally what was Holt doing taking corners. I don''t believ that he will be able to take the corner then rush into the box to meet the ball.  Lambert should hof got the player in by sunday not try and get Holt to cover two roles, it''s only my opinion though so don''t have a go, alright.

[quote user="City1st"]Frankly I believe the club has made a big mistake here.Firstly Dereham play in Black and white stripes. How is that going to help the players acclimatise ? No one else in the championship plays in Black and White stripes. We are even playing Newcastle, who play in black and white stripes.

Secondly the cost. I bet the players didn''t use public transport either. We could get a decent championship player, in the making instead. Get into the premiership then we can start to travel to games. And finally what was Holt doing taking corners. I don''t believ that he will be able to take the corner then rush into the box to meet the ball.  Lambert should hof got the player in by sunday not try and get Holt to cover two roles, it''s only my opinion though so don''t have a go, alright.[/quote]Good points [Y]I think we were trying a new corner routine where Holt chips it two hundred feet into the air and then has time to run to the penalty spot and header it in.  BUT IT WAS RUBBISH, HE NEVER EVEN GOT NEAR IT.

[quote user="City1st"]Frankly I believe the club has made a big mistake here.

Firstly Dereham play in Black and white stripes. How is that going to help the players acclimatise ? No one else in the championship plays in Black and White stripes. We are even playing Newcastle, who play in black and white stripes.

Secondly the cost. I bet the players didn''t use public transport either. We could get a decent championship player, in the making instead. Get into the premiership then we can start to travel to games.

And finally what was Holt doing taking corners. I don''t believ that he will be able to take the corner then rush into the box to meet the ball.  Lambert should hof got the player in by sunday not try and get Holt to cover two roles, it''s only my opinion though so don''t have a go, alright.

[/quote]

I think you''ve overlooked the most damning indictment. We used 24 (yes 24 ) players to get a narrow win over Dereham. Lambert clearly hasn''t  realised that we will only be able to use up to 14 against Watford. The coaching staff obviously haven''t made that clear to him either, so they should resign forthwith.

I would also point out the failure of our much vaunted new keeper to pull off even one world class save yesterday, and the awful goal drought which has enveloped our front three. I can only fear the worst.[;)]

I seem to recall we went unbeaten in pre-season last year - meant little when the seventh went in on opening day.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]I seem to recall we went unbeaten in pre-season last year - meant little when the seventh went in on opening day.
[/quote]

Your weeks holiday has certainly done you good Pete.

Your perspective on last year is really sharpened up.

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

I hate realists, I much prefer fantasists or pessimists.

Bugger off Beaus with all your realist claptrap. [:P]

[/quote]

You been at the Taddy again?

I know Nac Mac Feegles will drink anything but thats BAD!

I have never allowed a drop of taddy to pass my lips, that is Tillys domain. I did supp a good few Smirnoff blue labels last night and am now trying to drag everybody down with me today. If I can feel this bad then I think everybody else should join me in the sinking ship.

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]I have never allowed a drop of taddy to pass my lips, that is Tillys domain. I did supp a good few Smirnoff blue labels last night and am now trying to drag everybody down with me today. If I can feel this bad then I think everybody else should join me in the sinking ship.[/quote]Right there with you lol, I was mugged by Mr Sambuca last night.

cant expect the players to bust a gut in a nothing game against a tin pot side in yesterdays heat! I was starting to wonder if the ref would call it off for health concerns...good win and we are under way fitness wise though.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]cant expect the players to bust a gut in a nothing game against a tin pot side in yesterdays heat! I was starting to wonder if the ref would call it off for health concerns...good win and we are under way fitness wise though.[/quote]Spot on.  [Y]