Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Jackson Medical Cancelled [:O]

Remember our friend Bunny on 606 (for those who don''t know, he was the one who revealed we would sign Ruddy, Crofts and Fox)? Well according to him Simeon Jackson was booked in to have a medical for us on Friday but it was cancelled. What could have happened?

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]Remember our friend Bunny on 606 (for those who don''t know, he was the one who revealed we would sign Ruddy, Crofts and Fox)? Well according to him Simeon Jackson was booked in to have a medical for us on Friday but it was cancelled. What could have happened?[/quote]Maybe Bunny on 606 called Lambert to ask him to cancel it as he hasn''t had the chance to tell us about it in advance yet, would ruin his reputation...

could it be because hes off to Southampton?

Why do they need another striker anyway? they have 2 of the best strikers in the league now....

A very good deal for both sides if true. I think Cody has the ability to tear up that league, and I think Jacko could offer us someone we''ve not really had since Earnie, a quick striker with a great eye for goal

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]According to to Gillsconnect fan site it''s a done deal for £750k and Cody (years loan?)[/quote]Not entirely sure I would be happy with this.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bury Yellow"]According to to Gillsconnect fan site it''s a done deal for £750k and Cody (years loan?)[/quote]Not entirely sure I would be happy with this.[/quote]

I would have thought Cody could handle a higher level than that, with all due respect to Gillingham.

McDonald isn''t really a ''young'' player as such anymore, at 23 should be in and around somebody''s first team sqaud. If he''s not considered good enough to be at Norwich in the championship then IMO its only fair that he moves to a club permenantly where he will, I don''t see much value in sending him out on loan at his age?. Remember that it was only last week that Lambert let the 21 year old Spillane move as "he needed to play games".

I said something similar yesterday GJL. Cody is 24 now but he is playing at the level of a 19/20 year old. He is such a raw talent because of his footballing background and he has a lot to learn. Is 24 really the time you want to have a player that is "learning his trade?" It''s difficult because I really like Cody and I want him to succeed, but if Lambert didn''t like him enough to put him in in league 1 by bringing in Johnson and playing him ahead of Cody, then I can''t see him having much gametime at Championship level.

I would have thought if there was a player involved we''d get Jackson for less that 750k though.

I''d imagine his medical was cancelled (or maybe even postponed!) because it had been scheduled in "hope" but we hadn''t quite managed to agree the fee with Gillingham in time (although if the current rumours re Cody are true that may now have been resolved). I guess giving a medical to a player befopre you have agreed a fee with his club is probably frowned upon!

I think 6 months/a tyear on loan would do Cody the world of good and he would get a hatful in League 2 for Gillingham.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Lambert didnt fancy Cody in League 1 so he was never going to feature next season .[/quote]Last season Lambert treated Cody like everyone else, gave him a chance and Cody took it with some important goals, Hartlepool at home, Walsall away. Lambert''s well aware what Cody can do for the team so maybe im just being bias because i want to see Cody involved but taking him to Germany and giving him a half (where he scored two good goals) against Dereham when some players didnt even go makes me think (and hope) Cody will play a part this season.

"I guess giving a medical to a player befopre you have agreed a fee with

his club is probably frowned upon!"No more than arranging a medical "before you have agreed a fee with

his club"

If the conditions for wanting a medical existed then only an absolute condition would stop a medical ie it had no point. Those would be that Jackson had joined another club or that Jackson was not going to leave Gillingham. If the door ''was still open'' then why not carry out the medical so as to be be certain of one thing in future negotiations. Unless a contractual requirement is a medical immediately before a signing.

I think that the likely scenario is that if we don''t bring another forward in Cody will stay, but if we do, he''ll probably go out on loan. Of course, Lambert may decide to keep Cody and loan Oli, but I''m guessing not. Cody looked sharp on Saturday and certainly knows where the goal is, but I agree with other posters that for 24 he is nowhere near the finished article.

I disagree last season we had one more striker if Cody is allowed to go out on loan i would say short term. If he is good enough is another question but I think we need the numbers in the squad

Well i''ve been speaking to a close friend of mine who plays for the club and he told me on Friday that we signed him but it hadn''t been said in the media yet. Also, I will add he didn''t want me to say I heard it from him...

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bury Yellow"]According to to Gillsconnect fan site it''s a done deal for £750k and Cody (years loan?)[/quote]

Not entirely sure I would be happy with this.
[/quote]

Me neither Morty.

500k is the absolute max I would pay for Jackson.  He scored something like 18 goals last season which is good but he is not proven at Championship level.  I''m not saying I don''t want to dip into the lower leagues but if we are going to spend 750k on a striker then I want to know he is going to score goals.  Also if Cody is being offered on loan then it still only leaves us with 4 strikers and to be comfortable I think we need five.

[quote user="City1st"]"I guess giving a medical to a player befopre you have agreed a fee with his club is probably frowned upon!"

No more than arranging a medical "before you have agreed a fee with his club"

If the conditions for wanting a medical existed then only an absolute condition would stop a medical ie it had no point. Those would be that Jackson had joined another club or that Jackson was not going to leave Gillingham. If the door ''was still open'' then why not carry out the medical so as to be be certain of one thing in future negotiations. Unless a contractual requirement is a medical immediately before a signing.

[/quote]

Err no arranging a medical probably involves phoning up the N&N and saying that we need a medical done on Friday.

My point was that i suspect its against the rules to actually give a player a medical before you''ve agreed terms with the selling club (unless they give consent).

From the dodgy rumour site...someone claiming we also had another player lined up Friday:

"Tibor Tisza was due to sign officially for Norwich City on Friday but the move was held up by paperwork from the Hungarian FA, expect the ove to be completed early this week. Arthur."

This player who keeps getting linked with us every year is getting a bit boring now. Does anyone know when this rumour first started, if there was any truth in it?

Norwich stated at the end of the season that any player that signs for the club with now have an extensive medical before they join the club as players have arrived with ongoing issues in the past (Peter Thorne was one of these I believe)It could be a simple case that Jacko had a tweaked knee of whatever so was resting for a couple of days. There was a lot of noise and even a pic of Taiwo''s car in Norwich a month or so back... We''d never be told but it seemed to me that he was on the way but failed the medical... he has after all suffered quite a run of injuries over the past year.

For what it is worth I have seen Jacko a few times and I have always marvelled at his pace and direct style. He is the type of player who seems not only hungry to succeed but starved. I think he has all the makings of a decent striker.

Cody improved a lot last season when given a chance,not just the goals,which is hard coming into a settled side,but in one match,i cant remember which one as it was away,he fought for the ball on the right wing,just past the halfway line,and sent a superb diagonal deep cross to i think holt,who scored...Would like Jacko,but not at the expense of Cody!