Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Dereham thoughts

LAMBERT was clever today. Played last season''s team first half (apart from obviously Crofts, Fox and Ruddy as the players they replace are no longer with us, or, in Fox''s case, Lambert planned to play Smith RB in 2nd half). This, I think, shows a commitment to these players and says to them ''go out and perform.''

Second half saw introduction of Surman, S Smith and others who will be battling away to start, so will put in a good shift.

For me, most impressive players 1st half were Crofts, R Martin, Holt and second half Hughes, McNamee and Dawkin. Overall, good game for fitness and opportunity to see a few players in action. Plus it was nice to get a photo with Lambert, Holt etc at the end!!

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]Were they definitely not there though?
[/quote]

Din''t see them (if your''e referring to Ward and/or Brazilian trialists), other notable absentees included Gill,Tudur-Jones and Wiggins, I reckon it''s ''goodnight'' for those three ?!

[quote user="kc canary"]Gordon and Oakley according to the official website?[/quote]

Remi Gordon (Son of Dale) and Ryan Oakley. Profiles are on the official site under Academy.

They''ll be second year scholars next season.

Ruddy - 8 Had one freekick to deal with, showed excellent hands and lots of talking, a LOT of talkingDrury - 8 Looked neat and tidy without doing anything wrong, went forward with purpose a few timesAskou - 6 Gave the ball away twice and was a little out of position to allow a break to materialise which another player had to drop back and sort outNelson - 7 He won everything in the air, and as last season was great at defending the long ball, slow & weak on the floor, threat in the opposition box,  distribution utterly abysmalMartin - 5 Poor performance from him, had lots of space on the right hand side to push forward which he didn''t use enough, perpetually failed to beat his man to put a ball in the box Fox - 7 Looked very bright, similar movement to hoolahan, every pass accurate and quick to get the ball moving, combined with Hoolahan creatively a couple of timesCrofts - 8 Looks like his fitness is a week ahead of the rest of the squad, was pressing and looking to close every one of their players down continously, combative and attackingLappin - 6 Didn''t really get in the game too often but looked calm and assured on the ball when he did, put a couple of poor corners in and a couple of decent onesHoolahan - 8 A typical hoolahan performance, wanted the ball all the time, the brightest moments came when he was involved and gave the ball away once for trying one too many tricksMartin - 7 Didn''t get great deal of service but had two opportunities he really should have done better with, looked in good shape though and chest control is as good as any in the squadHolt - 8 Had one tipped onto the bar from his best chance that Martin set him up for, could have done better with a header he put onto the bar, but great tenactiy for Nelson''s goalSteer - 8 Had practically nothing to do. I think he might have taken a goal kick, and Francomb headed the ball back to him once, um I think that was it.K.Smith - 7 S.Smith - 4 Very poor first outing in a city shirt defensively, was eager to get forward which was positive, but his bread and butter should be defending and the same player Drury kept in his pocket did him twice, one of which a nutmeg. Whitbread - 5 Had similar problems to Smith in that the no.11 player that got no change out of Nelson for the whole first half beat Whitbread in the air a few times and really made life difficult for him, Francomb had to come to his rescue on more than one occasion. Francomb - 8 Looked like the senior defender in the second half, assured performance, and like Dawkin below, didn''t look too far below the standard of anyone else we saw todayHughes - 7 One of Hughes'' better performances in my humble opionion, full of running, made some good tackles though he doesn''t half love to pass the ball baskwards insetad of looking to get attacks going.McNamee - 7 Was McNamee, seems as if he''s a bit of a marmite player. Lots of skills and tricks but too often only getting a corner because he made the wrong choice, if Lmabert can coach the wastefullness out of him he''s be a real player.Surman - 8 Every touch was classy, best passer on the pitch in this game at least by a mile, couple of great throughballs which Johnson and then McDonald should have done more with, made a clever onside run in behind the defence which McNamee poorly chose not to put the ball over the top for and play back to S.Smith instead. Looks a cracker.Johnson - 4 Such a disappointing performance. Did his usual bull in a china shop style of running and bobbling the ball from shin to shin, but only once did a turn come off and enable im to put McDonald in for a shot and then his only opportunity he hesitated too long and was smothered by a defender. A chance to get easy goals and some confidence missed.McDonald - 7 Took his goals very well indeed, but missed 2 much easier tap-ins, one of which a one on one, but his running and particularly the directions he was running in were excellent and made sure he got into the game, also hesitated too much before shooting up until the goal.Dawkin - 8 Stole the show second half, was equally happy running in and taking players on from the right and then the left, really great that he looks like he might be very capable of pushing for a first team bench spot, maybe will be sent out on loan to get games, was very impressive, fast, and very direct style of play, always provided an end product(Gordon didn''t touch the ball I don''t believe)

[quote user="First Wizard"]Thanks for the concise reports guys, any ratings?[Y][/quote]Ah I hadn''t seen your request before I started that opus wiz, I hope you find it satisfactorily detailed.

Disagree wholeheartedly, can possibly see what you''d be disappointed with Martin about (though noone slagged him off near us as we were stood right by his mum) but what particularly did you think Wes did wrong?

[quote user=" for Paul Lambert"][quote user="kc canary"]Gordon and Oakley according to the official website?[/quote]

Remi Gordon (Son of Dale) and Ryan Oakley. Profiles are on the official site under Academy.

They''ll be second year scholars next season.[/quote]Remi my arse[:D]

[quote user="Captain Holts Controversial Jokes"]Crofts, Fox & Surman looked good. Martin was shite and so was Wes.[/quote]

I think Ruddy would be delighted by your rating of ''8'' for touching the ball all of twice!!, other than that couldn''t really argue with the rest

Ha ha yeh I know - but wouldn''t be fair to rate him any less, and I was in line with our penalty box in the first half and his talking and organisation was really great.

Wes didn''t look himself (which is probably because it''s his first game for months) and kept giving the ball away too much but there''s your luck. Some games he''s unstoppable some games he''s ridiculous. I''m not a Hoolahan basher, I love watching him.

[quote user="Seat0123"]Ruddy - 8 Had one freekick to deal with, showed excellent hands and lots of talking, a LOT of talking
Drury - 8 Looked neat and tidy without doing anything wrong, went forward with purpose a few times
Askou - 6 Gave the ball away twice and was a little out of position to allow a break to materialise which another player had to drop back and sort out
Nelson - 7 He won everything in the air, and as last season was great at defending the long ball, slow & weak on the floor, threat in the opposition box,  distribution utterly abysmal
Martin - 5 Poor performance from him, had lots of space on the right hand side to push forward which he didn''t use enough, perpetually failed to beat his man to put a ball in the box
Fox - 7 Looked very bright, similar movement to hoolahan, every pass accurate and quick to get the ball moving, combined with Hoolahan creatively a couple of times
Crofts - 8 Looks like his fitness is a week ahead of the rest of the squad, was pressing and looking to close every one of their players down continously, combative and attacking
Lappin - 6 Didn''t really get in the game too often but looked calm and assured on the ball when he did, put a couple of poor corners in and a couple of decent ones
Hoolahan - 8 A typical hoolahan performance, wanted the ball all the time, the brightest moments came when he was involved and gave the ball away once for trying one too many tricks
Martin - 7 Didn''t get great deal of service but had two opportunities he really should have done better with, looked in good shape though and chest control is as good as any in the squad
Holt - 8 Had one tipped onto the bar from his best chance that Martin set him up for, could have done better with a header he put onto the bar, but great tenactiy for Nelson''s goal

Steer - 8 Had practically nothing to do. I think he might have taken a goal kick, and Francomb headed the ball back to him once, um I think that was it.
K.Smith - 7
S.Smith - 4 Very poor first outing in a city shirt defensively, was eager to get forward which was positive, but his bread and butter should be defending and the same player Drury kept in his pocket did him twice, one of which a nutmeg.
Whitbread - 5 Had similar problems to Smith in that the no.11 player that got no change out of Nelson for the whole first half beat Whitbread in the air a few times and really made life difficult for him, Francomb had to come to his rescue on more than one occasion.
Francomb - 8 Looked like the senior defender in the second half, assured performance, and like Dawkin below, didn''t look too far below the standard of anyone else we saw today
Hughes - 7 One of Hughes'' better performances in my humble opionion, full of running, made some good tackles though he doesn''t half love to pass the ball baskwards insetad of looking to get attacks going.
McNamee - 7 Was McNamee, seems as if he''s a bit of a marmite player. Lots of skills and tricks but too often only getting a corner because he made the wrong choice, if Lmabert can coach the wastefullness out of him he''s be a real player.
Surman - 8 Every touch was classy, best passer on the pitch in this game at least by a mile, couple of great throughballs which Johnson and then McDonald should have done more with, made a clever onside run in behind the defence which McNamee poorly chose not to put the ball over the top for and play back to S.Smith instead. Looks a cracker.
Johnson - 4 Such a disappointing performance. Did his usual bull in a china shop style of running and bobbling the ball from shin to shin, but only once did a turn come off and enable im to put McDonald in for a shot and then his only opportunity he hesitated too long and was smothered by a defender. A chance to get easy goals and some confidence missed.
McDonald - 7 Took his goals very well indeed, but missed 2 much easier tap-ins, one of which a one on one, but his running and particularly the directions he was running in were excellent and made sure he got into the game, also hesitated too much before shooting up until the goal.
Dawkin - 8 Stole the show second half, was equally happy running in and taking players on from the right and then the left, really great that he looks like he might be very capable of pushing for a first team bench spot, maybe will be sent out on loan to get games, was very impressive, fast, and very direct style of play, always provided an end product

(Gordon didn''t touch the ball I don''t believe)

[/quote]

You don''t believe Gordon didn''t touch the ball, or you do believe Gordon didn''t touch the ball?[:^)]

Was Crofts more attacking or defensive?

Because I saw someone said either on this thread or another that Fox played in the Russel role.

Boyo'', Crofts was more attacking than Fox. He had an outrageous attempt where he flicked it up over his head, turned, and walloped it on the volley to make the keeper just save it. He also hit a long range cracker that went just wide of the top corner (or it looked like that from where I was)

Fox played the Clingan role. Get the ball, pass it. When he ventured forward he looked just as comfortable as Crofts.

These 2 look good signings from the 1 game we;ve seen so far in my opinion.

From where Fox was playing to the way Lambert was directing him directly for a lot of the first half, Fox seems to be set for the ''Lambert'' role. Hate the phrase but Fox does really seem to be Lamberts player and it seems Lambert sees a lot of how he used to play in Fox. It seemed to work well, thought Fox was impressive and taking instructions well.The best thing about the day was hearing how Lambert is on the touchline, and getting them to play his way. That midfield position seems to be something thats being worked on as he spent all his time during an injury break in the 1st half talking to Fox and again during an injury break in the 2nd talking to Surman

My thoughts?!!

I think half of the people on this thread are taking it all way to seriously - match ratings, you''re having a laugh!

We are one week into training and the first friendly of the summer. Do you honestly think much can be drawn from this game? At least wait for them to get back from Germany when we will all have a better idea of what our squad will look like and Lambert has had time to work with them a bit more than assessing their fitness and team bonding exercises.

[quote user="chicken"]

My thoughts?!!

I think half of the people on this thread are taking it all way to seriously - match ratings, you''re having a laugh!

We are one week into training and the first friendly of the summer. Do you honestly think much can be drawn from this game? At least wait for them to get back from Germany when we will all have a better idea of what our squad will look like and Lambert has had time to work with them a bit more than assessing their fitness and team bonding exercises.

[/quote]But Wiz asked for ratings, and he''s, like, the boss.

[quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="chicken"]

My thoughts?!!

[/quote]

But Wiz asked for ratings, and he''s, like, the boss.
[/quote]

Boss of what? My good man - first off he claims to be a wizzard, that should be warning enough. Dumbledore he is not!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="chicken"]

My thoughts?!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Boss of what? My good man - first off he claims to be a wizzard, that should be warning enough. Dumbledore he is not!

[/quote]A huge, nay vast ammount of City fans couldn''t make this game, and ratings help us visualise just how well new signings fitted in, and others, like Cody Mac for example performed.

So go lay an egg somewhere chicken and leave those who wish to help us alone!

[quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="First Wizard"]Thanks for the concise reports guys, any ratings?[Y][/quote]

Ah I hadn''t seen your request before I started that opus wiz, I hope you find it satisfactorily detailed.

[/quote]Hexellent Seat, a great help thanks.[Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="chicken"]

My thoughts?!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]A huge, nay vast ammount of City fans couldn''t make this game, and ratings help us visualise just how well new signings fitted in, and others, like Cody Mac for example performed.

So go lay an egg somewhere chicken and leave those who wish to help us alone!

[/quote]

For the first friendly of a season? Get a grip man. An overview would have been quite satisfactory, it is simply too early to go on rating players.

They have been together a week, some have not played together even yet. One of the hottest days of the year yet and their first pre-season fixture and the squad is not even entirely assembled yet.

So what can we learn from that that? To me not a lot, the true tests will come against the likes of Newcastle and Everton - not that we will be able to beat them nessisarily but that if we play reasonably well we should get more of an idea on how the formation will be set out and how players will be part of that. Remember Lambert hasn''t had much time with them yet either.

Ratings and conclusions based on a friendly run out to swell the Dereham coffers.  Utterly nuts.You people are the same people screaming "get it forward" whenever we do what the good teams do - keep possession.

1 they are at least 6 leagues below us

2 it was a friendly

3 it was 90 degrees

4 the substitutions destroy any flow

5 IT WAS A FRIENDLY

6 who cares