Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Andrew Surman.....best position?

[quote user="ucl-canary"]

I think Lappin is one of those player who people rate highly, or think very little of.

I appreciate his hard work and tackling back etc, but his final delivery is not consistently good enough, he cannot shoot, he lacks the ability to go past a player and compared to Korey Smith who played a similar role on the other side of the pitch he was outclassed by a player in his first season. Surman fits into his position perfectly and is definitely not a replacement for Hoolahan. Why would we spend so much money replacing one of our best players in Hoolahan. Far more sense to replace/ give competition to a weaker link in Lappin.

[/quote]As much as Lappin does have some redeeming faculties, seen in some of his better moments last season, there''s not a lot i disagree with in that comment.Again, i''m not his biggest fan, and he certainly provided a valuable element in our play. He must of, since we had a domineering midfield during most of the League One campaign, and his impressive assist rate has clearly been well documented. He however does severely feel somewhat lacking in some departments, especially concerning the quality of his distribution at the worst of times. And whether he can make the step up?Well i''d say he''s just about capable, but my confidence in him does dwindle from time to time, and whether he actually will is debatable.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Legend Iwan"] 

Surely a few - if not most - of those will be from freekicks and corners?

[/quote]

Point being?
[/quote]

Well you are directly comapring Lappin with Smith due, however, Smith did neither of those set pieces so couldn''t exactly up his tally of assists.

If you deducted freekicks and corners assists from Lappin (I''m not saying you have to actually do that) how many more would he be on than Smith - who also scored 4 times last year.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Legend Iwan"] 

Surely a few - if not most - of those will be from freekicks and corners?

[/quote]Point being?[/quote]

Well you are directly comapring Lappin with Smith due, however, Smith did neither of those set pieces so couldn''t exactly up his tally of assists.

If you deducted freekicks and corners assists from Lappin (I''m not saying you have to actually do that) how many more would he be on than Smith - who also scored 4 times last year.

[/quote]Perhaps there is a reason as to why Lappin took set pieces & Smith didn''t?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

Perhaps there is a reason as to why Lappin took set pieces & Smith didn''t?
[/quote]

Probably because Lappin is 8 years his senior and not in the first year of first team football, and as such is a lot more reliable. But that isn''t the point I am trying to put forwards, nor is it the inclusion of Lappin - your argument was directly comparing the two for their input last season, which, if you are basing it on assists I believe should take into consideration that Lappin took both freekicks and corners.

[quote user="John"][quote user="City penguin"]

I think your right. But i think that crofts will be more likely to play in the centre is a lot more physical and simpler than fox. Fox seems to be cover for Hoolahan if you ask me. More of a luxury player. Crofts was clearly Russels replacement.

[/quote]

We''ve gone over it plenty of times, but i will say that Fox isn''t a replacement for Hoolahan.

Apathy would have me re-direct you to us going over this subject in this thread, rather than long windedly going over the premises of this argument again...

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2172606/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

what so i should debate somthing because in another discussion it was considered in depth even though i wasnt involved. Step away form the crack pipe.

[quote user="City penguin"][quote user="John"][quote user="City penguin"]

I think your right. But i think that crofts will be more likely to play in the centre is a lot more physical and simpler than fox. Fox seems to be cover for Hoolahan if you ask me. More of a luxury player. Crofts was clearly Russels replacement.

[/quote]

We''ve gone over it plenty of times, but i will say that Fox isn''t a replacement for Hoolahan.

Apathy would have me re-direct you to us going over this subject in this thread, rather than long windedly going over the premises of this argument again...

http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2172606/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

what so i should debate somthing because in another discussion it was considered in depth even though i wasnt involved. Step away form the crack pipe.

[/quote]

Shouldn''t **********