Sign in to follow this  
CanaryOne

Can we afford Jackson

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

I think the issue with Jackson is one of value rather than affordability.

He only has one year left on his current deal, so on that basis (and the fact he''s now a league 2 player) I''d say he''s worth something like £300k-£400k + a couple of add-on''s. However, Gillingham will no doubt think he''s worth more like £600-£700k + add-on''s based on his past performance and the fact that he probably was worth this not so long ago.

I think we can afford either of those fees, but it''s not just a case of getting the right player, it''s got to be at the right price too.

[/quote]

Spot on, that''s exactly how I see it. It will be interesting to see whether Lambert has a striker Plan B as he did with the keeper situation.

[/quote]I think the pair of you are talking utter rubbish on this.Leicester were sniffing around him last summer and baulked at a rumoured asking price value of £1.5 million.Lambert initially went in for around about £500k and I knew that Gillingham would want to get an offer of at least £700k and probably one of our unused players thrown in to the bargain to even have serious talks with us.Strkers cost money and you pay the going rate or end up without.Gillingham would rather risk losing him for nothing next summer than let him go for under £700k this summer in my opinion.  They may re-evaluate the situation in January of course, but even then they would be likely to offload him to somebody for the kind of money you are talking about.  £300k to £400k would still be a snip and somebody will require a striker who has scored goals in the bottom two divisions and has the potential to step up in January.  There is absolutely NO CHANCE of getting him for that at the moment.  Gillingham would be bonkers to offload him for that if they have aspirations of bouncing back to Div 1 this season.[/quote]

I''m not sure why you say we''re talking rubbish and then make the exact same point that I did, being that Gillingham think he''s worth lots but everyone else see a striker from the lower leagues un-proven at championship level with a year left on his contract. Isn''t this difference of opinion exactly why he hasn''t gone anywhere yet?

What do you think he''s worth if you disagree with my assessment?

[/quote]Well Leicester were prepared to pay over £1 million for him this time last year, but would not pay £1.5 million.  This was before Jackson had any experience in Div 1 even.Gillingham will not sell Simeon Jackson at the drastically low prices some on here are talking about.  If he had another year to run on his contract then they would probably get £1 million for him.  Therefore I think the £700k mark is a fair price.  If the Gills do not get that kind of offer then they will not panic in to selling him on a further cut price deal until January unless he throws his toys out of the pram and demands a move.

SmudgerGiven that of us know the financial costs/arrangements of any transfer why do you persist in quoting these ridiculous figures ? More so, given that when transfer deals have been released the original figures were way off.Just because some pimply adolescent working for sky tv or one of the tabloids feels he has to fire up the witless numpties who pay heed to their drivel it doesn''t mean his words have any credence.Or maybe you can prove me wrong and tell us all the exact figure for each of our recent signings - then break down that figure into what part was a signing on fee, what was agent(s) fees, what was the settling up of the previous contract, what was a ''transfer fee''and what part had been added (or not) as future payments ie appearances made, promotion achieved, international appearances, etcAfter that could you tell us all whether the £700,00 figure you quote is complied of all of them, one of those variables or maybe some. And if so which.

Someone is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay.

Like a house like a car.

SJ is approaching the last year this nocks off a few hundred grand as it weakens the selling clubs position.

D2 is not the D1 or the champ i doubt even if they won their league the prize money would be half of 500K that and they would loose him for nothing and have a moaning player all season when they would have a motivated player.

This year is not last year, the prices have gone down and many clubs are in the doo doo. Even Barcelona didn''t pay Messi last month.

Our offer which I assume is under 500k is a good one because I dont see anyone else offering more so until then thats what he is worth surely?

and if they want more sod them and move on.

we can always come back if another bidder comes in.

You may find however that the player has already decided and agreed terms behind closed doors.

In that case declare intent and then walk away and let ''player power'' push the deal.

SJ would be mad not to join Norwich he may have to throw his toys from the pram.

[quote user="City1st"]SmudgerGiven that of us know the financial costs/arrangements of any transfer why do you persist in quoting these ridiculous figures ? More so, given that when transfer deals have been released the original figures were way off.Just because some pimply adolescent working for sky tv or one of the tabloids feels he has to fire up the witless numpties who pay heed to their drivel it doesn''t mean his words have any credence.Or maybe you can prove me wrong and tell us all the exact figure for each of our recent signings - then break down that figure into what part was a signing on fee, what was agent(s) fees, what was the settling up of the previous contract, what was a ''transfer fee''and what part had been added (or not) as future payments ie appearances made, promotion achieved, international appearances, etcAfter that could you tell us all whether the £700,00 figure you quote is complied of all of them, one of those variables or maybe some. And if so which.

[/quote]A combination of transfer fee and any future payments (add-on''s for goals scored, appearances and promotion) are part of my calculations.The selling club would see none of any signing on fee or agents fee.We have been told that we can either up our offer or clear off,  Jackson is still under contract to Gillingham and there is no way that they are likely to sell before January unless we do not up our offer in my opinion.  Do all those who are claiming that we would be able to get him for less than £700k right now think that the Gill''s could not offload him for a £ few hundred k in January?I would be confident if I was the Gill''s manager or chairman that they will get an offer that is at least as good as ours in January and I would be prepared to take the risk knowing that by doing this you may get a little more or a little less.  I do not think that he will run out his contract entirely and move on a FREE next summer though.

Has it actually been confirmed that we have bid for Jackson yet? I thought it was just speculation with people putting two and two together.

Absoluteley Chip.

Again Smudger, where to you get this £700k figure, other than from your fertile imagination - as you readily admit in "unless we do not up our offer in my opinion" ?Regarding the other figure you quote it has ALWAYS been seen that ALL variables, as listed, were included in the fee when it was revealed.So at this stage none of us know anything other than that Gillingham are aware that Jackson is likely to leave in the next year. Gillingham will naturally try to get the best financial deal. They are letting the media know that they do not believe any current offers meet what they expect or want.That is all any of us know.

[quote user="Smudger"]A combination of transfer fee and any future payments (add-on''s for goals scored, appearances and promotion) are part of my calculations.[/quote]Ah! Smudger has now become a member of the C.G.F.P.A. (Chartered Guild of Fag Packet Accountants) as well as a tactical genius, head scout, boardroom advisor, NCISA recruiting officer, and self confessed local legend.

Is there no end to this man''s talent? [^o)]

Also, has Lambert actually confirmed he wants him.  With most signings Lambert has made there has been nothing ''leaked'' to the press beforehand.  I for one believe that SJ is a smokescreen for someone else. 

[quote user="Gunny is a Legend"]Also, has Lambert actually confirmed he wants him.  With most signings Lambert has made there has been nothing ''leaked'' to the press beforehand.  I for one believe that SJ is a smokescreen for someone else. [/quote]

Agreed

I dont think anyone at the club has confirmed Jackson is an actual target and there has been little in the way of public statement on the players we HAVE signed before they arrived.  You openly bid for a player, his price goes up

Admittedly he is the sort of player many on this board would like to see although thats funny in itself - 18 months ago if we had said that we were in for a striker that had scored less than 20 goals in League 1 and had been relegated as a result then the club would have been hung out to dry by Smudger Cluck Bly and Co for having no ambition and they would have been screaming for us to spend big on a Billy Sharp - and many would have gone along with them

IMHO if Jackson arrives - great.  If he doesnt then its not the end of the world.  I think personally the ''One more'' is likely to be a right back, but thats just my thought.  Im not sure that Jackson would be a significant improvement over Oli or Cody.  If we WERE after a striker I think Lambert would need to look at someone that will significantly improve the team we have - no point in spending big for the bench

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="City1st"]SmudgerGiven that of us know the financial costs/arrangements of any transfer why do you persist in quoting these ridiculous figures ? More so, given that when transfer deals have been released the original figures were way off.[/quote] Do all those who are claiming that we would be able to get him for less than £700k right now think that the Gill''s could not offload him for a £ few hundred k in January?[/quote]I do, he has only scored 4 goals all year according to Soccerbase.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Maybe its just paper talk and we have someone else lined up.[img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/dunno.gif[/img][/quote]

For once, just once, I am inclined to agree with you.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Ched Evans.....[/quote]

Anything to support that Mello or is it just a wish list, would be cool if true....

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

Anything to support that Mello or is it just a wish list, would be cool if true....

[/quote]

Nah, I do wish.... I''d also love to see him back here....I do wonder if Mr Lambert''s also a fan of his?

[quote user="Gunny is a Legend"]Also, has Lambert actually confirmed he wants him.  With most signings Lambert has made there has been nothing ''leaked'' to the press beforehand.  I for one believe that SJ is a smokescreen for someone else. [/quote]hahaha what an imagination you have! Feel free to come back and tell me that you were right and I was wrong when Jackson stay''s where he is for the time being and we sign somebody else... [:P]

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="Gunny is a Legend"]Also, has Lambert actually confirmed he wants him.  With most signings Lambert has made there has been nothing ''leaked'' to the press beforehand.  I for one believe that SJ is a smokescreen for someone else. [/quote]

Agreed

I dont think anyone at the club has confirmed Jackson is an actual target and there has been little in the way of public statement on the players we HAVE signed before they arrived.  You openly bid for a player, his price goes up

Admittedly he is the sort of player many on this board would like to see although thats funny in itself - 18 months ago if we had said that we were in for a striker that had scored less than 20 goals in League 1 and had been relegated as a result then the club would have been hung out to dry by Smudger Cluck Bly and Co for having no ambition and they would have been screaming for us to spend big on a Billy Sharp - and many would have gone along with them

IMHO if Jackson arrives - great.  If he doesnt then its not the end of the world.  I think personally the ''One more'' is likely to be a right back, but thats just my thought.  Im not sure that Jackson would be a significant improvement over Oli or Cody.  If we WERE after a striker I think Lambert would need to look at someone that will significantly improve the team we have - no point in spending big for the bench

[/quote]What an utter load of tosh you talk!Look back over the history of my posts... I was interested in Jackson last summer, Rickie Lambert for a good 18 months before that, prior to that it was Nicky Maynard... the list go9es on and on!I have always said that there are decent players to be had at a lower level.  Problem is the majority of good strikers even at that level go for good money!

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Salahuddin"]

[/quote]

Nah, I do wish.... I''d also love to see him back here....I do wonder if Mr Lambert''s also a fan of his?

[/quote]I don''t think that we have the money to tempt Sheff Utd in to considering a deal for Ched Evans at the moment Mello.

[quote user="Smudger"]hahaha what an imagination you have! Feel free to come back and tell me that you were right and I was wrong when Jackson stay''s where he is for the time being and we sign somebody else... [:P][/quote]Smudger is always right! Wasn''t it him who told us after we were relegated that D & M were going out to get McNally and Lambert and that we would take League 1 by storm? Yep, that was him! And when he was telling us all last year at this time that Wesley was crap, he was only joking! Honest! [;)]

Yep! smudger is always right! [:S]

Finally, the City boss admitted that he is in the market for a striker, with that position the only one he hasn’t strengthened so far this summer.

Gillingham forward Simeon Jackson has been strongly linked with a switch to Carrow Road and although Lambert didn’t reveal the identity of the man in question, City are certainly in the hunt for a new hitman to complement Messrs Holt and Martin.

“We’ve tried but it hasn’t materialised as yet and we’ll have to see what happens in the next week.  It’s not gone but we’ll have to wait and see.  We can only do what we can do due to finances.”

Looks as if we could not come up with the asking price then , knocks the conspiracies that we are being financed by some mystery backer on the head anyway.

[quote user="Ncfc"]

Finally, the City boss admitted that he is in the market for a striker, with that position the only one he hasn’t strengthened so far this summer.

Gillingham forward Simeon Jackson has been strongly linked with a switch to Carrow Road and although Lambert didn’t reveal the identity of the man in question, City are certainly in the hunt for a new hitman to complement Messrs Holt and Martin.

“We’ve tried but it hasn’t materialised as yet and we’ll have to see what happens in the next week.  It’s not gone but we’ll have to wait and see.  We can only do what we can do due to finances.”

Looks as if we could not come up with the asking price then , knocks the conspiracies that we are being financed by some mystery backer on the head anyway.

[/quote]Something else I had right then??? [:^)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]hahaha what an imagination you have! Feel free to come back and tell me that you were right and I was wrong when Jackson stay''s where he is for the time being and we sign somebody else... [:P][/quote]Smudger is always right! Wasn''t it him who told us after we were relegated that D & M were going out to get McNally and Lambert and that we would take League 1 by storm? Yep, that was him! And when he was telling us all last year at this time that Wesley was crap, he was only joking! Honest! [;)]

Yep! smudger is always right! [:S]

[/quote]I was actually the first person on here or any Norwich related site who said that Lambert was McNally''s chosen man Lapp - and a good day or two before the local media got wind of it too.I also predicted that we would do well under Lambert and that we were only going to struggle up until the point where we appointed a decent manager.What have you predicted correctly these last few years??? [:^)]