Sign in to follow this  
CanaryOne

Can we afford Jackson

Gillingham Chairman has said he can leave for the right price , we are said to be interested  but everything has gone quiet , so can we afford him or will we end up with Rory Loy or the like.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Gillingham Chairman has said he can leave for the right price , we are said to be interested  but everything has gone quiet , so can we afford him or will we end up with Rory Loy or the like.[/quote]I reckon that we have more chance of signing him than Ip - er, they have of signing Michael Chopra.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Gillingham Chairman has said he can leave for the right price , we are said to be interested  but everything has gone quiet , so can we afford him or will we end up with Rory Loy or the like.[/quote]For all we know there could be plenty more cash in the pot.  On the other hand we may not want to pay over the odds for certain players.

I think the issue with Jackson is one of value rather than affordability.

He only has one year left on his current deal, so on that basis (and the fact he''s now a league 2 player) I''d say he''s worth something like £300k-£400k + a couple of add-on''s. However, Gillingham will no doubt think he''s worth more like £600-£700k + add-on''s based on his past performance and the fact that he probably was worth this not so long ago.

I think we can afford either of those fees, but it''s not just a case of getting the right player, it''s got to be at the right price too.

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

He only has one year left on his current deal, so on that basis (and the fact he''s now a league 2 player) I''d say he''s worth something like £300k-£400k + a couple of add-on''s. However, Gillingham will no doubt think he''s worth more like £600-£700k + add-on''s based on his past performance and the fact that he probably was worth this not so long ago.

I think we can afford either of those fees, but it''s not just a case of getting the right player, it''s got to be at the right price too.

[/quote]

Spot on, that''s exactly how I see it. It will be interesting to see whether Lambert has a striker Plan B as he did with the keeper situation.

Agreed, we should not pay over the odds for him. It seems they have not been inundated with suitors ready to stump up wads of money so far.

Maybe this is one to leave on the burner until nearer deadline day. If they have no offer in by then Gillingham will be a motivated seller considering his contract status.

We''ve not got millions to throw about but there is enough money there for Lambert, it''s a case of getting value for money. Revenue through promotion has increased by a couple of million and 3 of the clubs biggest earners have gone in Cureton, Doherty & Russell amongst others, so there probably is a bit left in the pot for Lambert.

Spot on. I think a few other players that are kicking about will have to go for cheaper than they expect too. The money situation is finally having a effect on every league club now - the prem being the prem still but I think even they will start to tighten their purse strings soon.

Leroy Lita is still available on a free is he not? He is going to have to drastically lower his wage demands and size of signing on fee. That is if any club desides they are going to want him. I think there will be some real bargins out there this summer I really do. Not saying I am unhappy with what we have but I have a feeling there will be some shock signings due to the new rules etc.

Was financial reasons stopping us from getting FF back, Id be very suprised if we pay a fee for any other player this summer.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Was financial reasons stopping us from getting FF back, Id be very suprised if we pay a fee for any other player this summer.[/quote]

I think the financial reason was one of value for money given we would be paying a big fee for a 1 year loan with nothing to show for it at the end of that. Again, getting the right mix of affordability and value for money.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Was financial reasons stopping us from getting FF back, Id be very suprised if we pay a fee for any other player this summer.[/quote]If you listen to the interview you''ll find he was referring to value for money regarding FF on loan again. By all accounts the fee paid for John Ruddy was around the £500k mark.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[/quote]

Spot on, that''s exactly how I see it. It will be interesting to see whether Lambert has a striker Plan B as he did with the keeper situation.

[/quote]I think the pair of you are talking utter rubbish on this.Leicester were sniffing around him last summer and baulked at a rumoured asking price value of £1.5 million.Lambert initially went in for around about £500k and I knew that Gillingham would want to get an offer of at least £700k and probably one of our unused players thrown in to the bargain to even have serious talks with us.Strkers cost money and you pay the going rate or end up without.Gillingham would rather risk losing him for nothing next summer than let him go for under £700k this summer in my opinion.  They may re-evaluate the situation in January of course, but even then they would be likely to offload him to somebody for the kind of money you are talking about.  £300k to £400k would still be a snip and somebody will require a striker who has scored goals in the bottom two divisions and has the potential to step up in January.  There is absolutely NO CHANCE of getting him for that at the moment.  Gillingham would be bonkers to offload him for that if they have aspirations of bouncing back to Div 1 this season.

[quote user="Smudger"] Leicester were sniffing around him last summer and baulked at a rumoured asking price value of £1.5 million.Lambert initially went in for around about £500k and I knew that Gillingham would want to get an offer of at least £700k and probably one of our unused players thrown in to the bargain to even have serious talks with us.Strkers cost money and you pay the going rate or end up without.Gillingham would rather risk losing him for nothing next summer than let him go for under £700k this summer in my opinion.  They may re-evaluate the situation in January of course, but even then they would be likely to offload him to somebody for the kind of money you are talking about.  £300k to £400k would still be a snip and somebody will require a striker who has scored goals in the bottom two divisions and has the potential to step up in January.  There is absolutely NO CHANCE of getting him for that at the moment.  Gillingham would be bonkers to offload him for that if they have aspirations of bouncing back to Div 1 this season.[/quote]They''d be absolutely bonkers to turn down an offer approaching £700k, for a fraction of that they could bring in a proven scorer for that level, reinvest in others and have money left over to balance the books. Or they could turn it down and lose him for nothing and remain in a difficult financial position.

Although I agree with the post , the unknown factor is the player himself who faces the choice of Division 2 or Championship football. Look what happened to Beckford''s form when Leeds effectively refused to sell him. And they ended up getting nowt for him!Gillingham will be desperate for cash to help the squad and bounce back and one grumpy striker isnt going to help in that cause

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the pair of you are talking utter rubbish on this.

Leicester were sniffing around him last summer and baulked at a rumoured asking price value of £1.5 million.

Lambert initially went in for around about £500k and I knew that Gillingham would want to get an offer of at least £700k and probably one of our unused players thrown in to the bargain to even have serious talks with us.

Strkers cost money and you pay the going rate or end up without.

Gillingham would rather risk losing him for nothing next summer than let him go for under £700k this summer in my opinion.  They may re-evaluate the situation in January of course, but even then they would be likely to offload him to somebody for the kind of money you are talking about.  £300k to £400k would still be a snip and somebody will require a striker who has scored goals in the bottom two divisions and has the potential to step up in January.  There is absolutely NO CHANCE of getting him for that at the moment.  Gillingham would be bonkers to offload him for that if they have aspirations of bouncing back to Div 1 this season.
[/quote]

I''m not sure why you say we''re talking rubbish and then make the exact same point that I did, being that Gillingham think he''s worth lots but everyone else see a striker from the lower leagues un-proven at championship level with a year left on his contract. Isn''t this difference of opinion exactly why he hasn''t gone anywhere yet?

What do you think he''s worth if you disagree with my assessment?

It is not a case of what Gillingham want or whether they are bonkers it is what they can afford. The presumption that everything rremains static is farcical. You only have to look at Southend to realise the mess runty little clubs can get into (binners) when the spend way above theur means.Look at how Colchester have offloaded many of their better players and will go further as they seek to deal with reality. Of course Gillingham will hold out as long as possible. Hols out for the best deal, but the best deal is one that is on the table NOT what they would want of feel he is worth.As many have said these are more ''realistic'' times. Sharpe''s move to Doncaster may pump a bit of money into the sytem but that assumes that Sheff Utd will use it all in acquiring players.Jackson will most likely leave Gillingham before Aug 31st, not certain I admit, but what is absolutely certain is that we will NOT know the true finacial arrangements of any deal. Quoting silly transfer fees and figures is absurd.

I would say £600 -700k myself ,Billy Sharp a proven Championship striker just moved to Doncaster for £1 million and what a bargain that is  .

[quote user="Ncfc"]I would say £600 -700k myself ,Billy Sharp a proven Championship striker just moved to Doncaster for £1 million and what a bargain that is  .
[/quote]

I think Gillingham would take that in a flash. They will lose him for nothing next summer otherwise.

I think your spot on with those prices.

Hes good but he is in division 2 and did not get over 20 goals last season.

350K plus ad ons for promotion, over 15 goals and resale and its well enough.

I would be throwing my toys out the pram to join norwich from D2 nows the time for him to move on.

[quote user="chicken"]

Spot on. I think a few other players that are kicking about will have to go for cheaper than they expect too. The money situation is finally having a effect on every league club now - the prem being the prem still but I think even they will start to tighten their purse strings soon.

Leroy Lita is still available on a free is he not? He is going to have to drastically lower his wage demands and size of signing on fee. That is if any club desides they are going to want him. I think there will be some real bargins out there this summer I really do. Not saying I am unhappy with what we have but I have a feeling there will be some shock signings due to the new rules etc.

[/quote]I would love to see this one happen...you are right tho he will not be picking up £15-£20k aweek and a massive signing on fee.

[quote user="Ncfc"]I would say £600 -700k myself ,Billy Sharp a proven Championship striker just moved to Doncaster for £1 million and what a bargain that is  .
[/quote]I think you will find it was £1.5 million...which is way out of our reach im affraid

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Ncfc"]I would say £600 -700k myself ,Billy Sharp a proven Championship striker just moved to Doncaster for £1 million and what a bargain that is  .
[/quote]I think you will find it was £1.5 million...which is way out of our reach im affraid[/quote]

£1.15m is what I''ve seen. Not sure whether that includes add-on''s.

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]I think your spot on with those prices. Hes good but he is in division 2 and did not get over 20 goals last season. 350K plus ad ons for promotion, over 15 goals and resale and its well enough. I would be throwing my toys out the pram to join norwich from D2 nows the time for him to move on.[/quote]I would say £500k is the limit for an unproven Div 2 striker in the last year of his contract + a few add ons and maybe Cody Mac on a 6 month/season loan to sweaten the deal

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Fromage Frais"]I think your spot on with those prices. Hes good but he is in division 2 and did not get over 20 goals last season. 350K plus ad ons for promotion, over 15 goals and resale and its well enough. I would be throwing my toys out the pram to join norwich from D2 nows the time for him to move on.[/quote]I would say £500k is the limit for an unproven Div 2 striker in the last year of his contract + a few add ons and maybe Cody Mac on a 6 month/season loan to sweaten the deal[/quote]Sweeten# edit button please

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Ncfc"]I would say £600 -700k myself ,Billy Sharp a proven Championship striker just moved to Doncaster for £1 million and what a bargain that is  .
[/quote]I think you will find it was £1.5 million...which is way out of our reach im affraid[/quote]

£1.15m is what I''ve seen. Not sure whether that includes add-on''s.

[/quote]i do appologise[Y] i have also seen £1.5, £1.1 and £1.15 lol

I do agree with Smudger to an extent, you pay good money for a goal scorer, if we pay substandard fee,s u get a substandard striker...i do hope PL(and im sure he does) have a plan B if Jackson deal falls through..We defo need a pacey striker tho and im sure there will be one or 2 more before the season starts[Y]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]I do agree with Smudger to an extent, you pay good money for a goal scorer, if we pay substandard fee,s u get a substandard striker...i do hope PL(and im sure he does) have a plan B if Jackson deal falls through..We defo need a pacey striker tho and im sure there will be one or 2 more before the season starts[Y][/quote]But this is Gillingham, their owner is quite a colourful character and will not want to let Jackson leave for nothing next year (I now live in Kent and get to see / hear a lot from Mr Scally). He has a history of selling players for low fees and, in recent times, replacing them with non-league / bosman journeymen.He is just trying to drum up some interest, if no firm offers appear soon we will get him for a reasonable fee.

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]I do agree with Smudger to an extent, you pay good money for a goal scorer, if we pay substandard fee,s u get a substandard striker...i do hope PL(and im sure he does) have a plan B if Jackson deal falls through..We defo need a pacey striker tho and im sure there will be one or 2 more before the season starts[Y][/quote]

But this is Gillingham, their owner is quite a colourful character and will not want to let Jackson leave for nothing next year (I now live in Kent and get to see / hear a lot from Mr Scally). He has a history of selling players for low fees and, in recent times, replacing them with non-league / bosman journeymen.

He is just trying to drum up some interest, if no firm offers appear soon we will get him for a reasonable fee.
[/quote]As i also stated above..£500k is the max i would pay for a div 2 player in the last year of his contract[Y] Im also sure PL has another/others in mind if this falls apart

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Smudger"] Leicester were sniffing around him last summer and baulked at a rumoured asking price value of £1.5 million.Lambert initially went in for around about £500k and I knew that Gillingham would want to get an offer of at least £700k and probably one of our unused players thrown in to the bargain to even have serious talks with us.Strkers cost money and you pay the going rate or end up without.Gillingham would rather risk losing him for nothing next summer than let him go for under £700k this summer in my opinion.  They may re-evaluate the situation in January of course, but even then they would be likely to offload him to somebody for the kind of money you are talking about.  £300k to £400k would still be a snip and somebody will require a striker who has scored goals in the bottom two divisions and has the potential to step up in January.  There is absolutely NO CHANCE of getting him for that at the moment.  Gillingham would be bonkers to offload him for that if they have aspirations of bouncing back to Div 1 this season.[/quote]They''d be absolutely bonkers to turn down an offer approaching £700k, for a fraction of that they could bring in a proven scorer for that level, reinvest in others and have money left over to balance the books. Or they could turn it down and lose him for nothing and remain in a difficult financial position.[/quote]I said months ago that it would take £700k plus one of the likes of Tudor Jones or more probably Gill as a make weight in the deal (both players are pretty much worthless to us anyway and it would free up some wages).  Alternatively Cody or Luke Daley on a loan deal which would also help us as well as them as it would give the player valued first team experience.Too many City fans on here not seeing it from a realistic perspective I''m afraid.We offered £500k already and Gillingham will not be coming back to talk to us before Christmas unless that offer is upped!Billy Sharp has now moved to Doncaster... name some alternatives that would cost us less than £700k who are not on extremely high salaries...Maybe it will boil down to us getting a loanee in the end? [:|]