Sign in to follow this  
Adam NCFC

Stephen's scores for Hibs!

For every player we may have regretted there''s a dozen players we don''t. Remember Danny Crow, for example?

I hope for Stephen''s sake that he goes on to do very well for himself. But we''ll see.

We could have loaned him out but then when you look at our first choice centre backs (Ward And Whitbread I assume) you have to think that it''s a partnership put together with a view to the long term. At the end of a season long loan for Stephens we''d have been back in the same situation again.

I''d heard good things about the lad but if he wasn''t likely to feature it''s best for both parties that he moves on.

Like the vast majority of posters on this thread I have not seen the lad play so I simply don''t know how good he is.

But Lambert and McNally do.  Does anyone really think that if he was considered capable of doing a first team job he would have gone?   There are all sorts of reasons why it is good business to keep youngsters good enough to paly in the first team.

Also, stop comparing him to players who were released.  We sold Stephens and got a fee.  We also got whatever else we could as McNallty would not give away an asset.    But of course all the posters who have never seen him play and have never run a business bigger than a paper round know better.

Ps.  Older posters may remember Neil Davids, a reserve centre back in the late 70''s.  John Bond turned down a £10,000 bid for him and then released him a few weeks later.   Crazy but I can''t see McNally sanctioning that sort of behaviour.