Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Alan Gow Up For Grabs...

Anyone remember Alan Gow? He played on loan for us a while back, I thought he played quite well.His contract is up and he is currently (11/07/10) without a clubhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_GowAnyone feel he could do a job for us?

Had a feeling as soon as he got released someone would put him on here...I personally thought he was utter sh!t, so no thanks.

wasn''t any good then, and done nothing since, no better than we already have, so no thanks, isn''t that also successive relegations?

Was rubbish, he wasn''t the type of player we needed in a relegation battle, come to think of it his strike partner at the time Mooney, no wonder Charlton didn''t go up relying on that useless article to score goals !!!

If it wasn''t for the goals Mooney did score we would have been in a much more untenable position.

Gow for me was a taller, weaker Hoolahan but without the vision.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Anyone remember Alan Gow? He played on loan for us a while back, I thought he played quite well.His contract is up and he is currently (11/07/10) without a clubhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_GowAnyone feel he could do a job for us?[/quote]He could clean the boots of the Academy lads.

I think Holt will have whoever doing that with far too much military precision for someone like Alan Gow!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He had nice hair.[/quote]Indeed. Reminded me of Clint Easton. Good hair, a fair bit of skill, you kind of wanted him to do well and yet, just not quite good enough.

Whatever happened to Clint Easton? promised so much and tried so hard, yet delivered bugger all from what I remember..... A couple of years later people idolised Hughes for just the same!

[quote user="Chrisr"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He had nice hair.[/quote]Indeed. Reminded me of Clint Easton. Good hair, a fair bit of skill, you kind of wanted him to do well and yet, just not quite good enough. [/quote]I rated him, but i suppose in essence you''re right.I guess the only saving grace is that he was very impressive at Blackpool just before arriving here. Pehaps, with a good side beside him, he could flourish?

really talented player. Looked really good up front with Mooney, so in his infinite wisdom Gunn stuck him on the wing where he was useless.In terms of talent, he would be a great addition, but he didn''t exactly look like a team player or someone who would get stuck in. I''m astonished by people who thought he was ''a league one player at best''. He had excellent vision and played with his head up. Not sure I''d be looking to buy him now, but he''s a good footballer.

Would agree with Robert N. LiM - a talented player capable of unlocking defences. He does look a little uninterested though. But with the right manager alongside the right strike partner could be a good player.

Lacked the final ball i thought. Looked skillfull on the ball, looked up and forward. Worth a crack imo.

I''m a fan of Gow, plays football the right way. Skillful and keeps the ball on the floor and moving, would definitely have him back.

I feel he''d be a luxury signing though, not necessarily needed but would be handy.

[quote user="John"]

I rated him, but i suppose in essence you''re right.I guess the only saving grace is that he was very impressive at Blackpool just before arriving here. Pehaps, with a good side beside him, he could flourish?[/quote]This was always my view - that he would be a good player in a good side. We only saw him in a struggling, badly-managed side. And probably the same applies to his time with Plymouth. But perhaps the fact that he has never settled anywhere - although Grayson was keen to keep him at Blackpool  - is now starting to tell its own story.

I thought Gow, when played up front with Mooney, was a good player. It''s no coincidence that after Wes got injured, Gow shunted wide left & Alan Lee arriving that we really struggled and slumped to relegation. Much like Wes, Gow isn''t a wide player and if played centrally would do a job.

I think on a free Gow would be a descent squad player signing for us.

However im sure i read somewhere, when he moved to Plymouth that alot of clubs wouldn''t go near him because of a dodgy knee that failed alot of medicals.

The guy was like Lee Croft = Often looked good but ultimately produced very little. Seemed a bit half hearted to me and had an annoying habit of holding onto the ball to long.

He done very little at Plymouth last season.

See above for the reasons why hes been released!

No thanks!

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]I thought he was brilliant for us when put up front but was wasted put on the wing, sign him up imo.
[/quote]

Yes he looked better up front than on the wing but he was just a show pony - looked good but didn''t do b uggerall!

I trust that Lamberts more into players who DO rather than the likes of Alan Gow!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt our saviour"]I thought he was brilliant for us when put up front but was wasted put on the wing, sign him up imo.[/quote]

Yes he looked better up front than on the wing but he was just a show pony - looked good but didn''t do b uggerall!

I trust that Lamberts more into players who DO rather than the likes of Alan Gow!

[/quote]So quite useful then?

[quote user="Pabs"]Looked like Jarvis Cocker and played like him too.[/quote]

sums him up very well