Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

RIP Roy Waller

I have such fond memories of listening to Roy commentate in my grandparents living room for away games or the odd home game I couldn''t make when I was younger. He was one of the few commentaters I''ve heard who was genuinely able to convey the drama and atmosphere of the match directly into the room, so much so that you really felt you were sitting in between him and Neil Adams watching the game from the commentary box, he embodied the spirit of what a great  radio commentator should be(totally biased i might add and we love him for it!!!), an absolutely unique individual. So many ups and downs have been experinced whilst listening to him on the "wireless", he will always have a special place in my childhood memories, by all accounts a great man and true city fan, he will be sorely missed.  

Simon,

I agree with all your sentiments here, he will be be profondly missed for his commentary and if Radio broadcasts.

Very sad news about Roy. He was a lovely old Norfolk boy and a true Norwich City supporter. His taste in music was a bit naf for my liking but what can you expect from a bloke with a stage name of "Pentney Lakes".Will be sadly missed by many of us old ''uns.

Mr Lappin, good man (or woman), you''ve described it perfectly there. Right down of course to the classic ''As a gool, noo as not'' moments we all went through on a weekly basis. Personally, his description of the Rotherham tunnel scrap in our Championship winning season is one i''ll never forget (I was there but heard it later). ''As a malay, a malay in  the tunnel.'' I was looking for a gentlemen of an Austronesian description rather than Leon taking the fight to the opposition in one of the most exciting games i''ve seen since Rosie scored in the 4-4 vs Southampton in 1989. Roy Waller. What a star.

Roy''s enthusiams was hard to beat; and his commentaries were certainly a one off.

Listening to Roy certainly got you on the edge of your seat; you couldnt always tell exactly how close a goal was; with Roy''s enthusiam, and amusing ability to get over excited.

I only met him once; but knowone has a bad word to say about him. He''s gonna be sorely missed.

I was truely gutted to read this news. As many have mentioned before, he was NCFC for me on Saturdays as a youngster when I couldn''t go to away games.My personal favourite of Roy was his ability to get so excited about a City attack, confuse you as to what had happened and then say, ".....ooooo Sunderland (or whoever we were playing) have scored!".Two main moments stick in my mind.1) his inability to say Peschisolido.2) Away at Bradford ina league cup game, Fleck to take a penalty. "Fleck steps up. He shoot and score ....................................................(VERY long silence)..................................Nooooo he doon''t, it''s ooooover the top."Not just a Norwich legend, but a Norfolk one too. RIP.

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]Minutes silence on first game of the season?[/quote]

I think he would have prefered a minute of applause tbh but definately something from the club would be very appropriate.

Very sad news.  When I lived out of the county I used to be thrilled if I heard his lovely old Narrich voice crackling through on the radio.

My parents used to listen to his afternoon shows and they got so much enjoyment from them.  I used to pop in and they would "shush" me and say "we''re just listening to Roy".  He of course had his wife "Dolores" as his assistant and her "posh norfolk" used to make me laugh alongside Roy''s "proper Narrich".

A few months ago I happened to hear him on Radio Norfolk one Saturday morning and he''d come on to tell listeners that he was very poorly.  He was talking about being a non smoker, not a drinker, keen cyclist and active sportsman in his younger days and what a shock it was to discover he had liver disease.  Poor old Roy!

RIP Roy and sympathy to Sylvie.

RIP Roy WallerHis Norwich City work was adored by all.Top Man, will be deeply missed.I Love you Roy :)

My family and I all know Roy well, and I have read every single one of your posts... it brings tears to my eyes, and some of the quotes put a grin on my face.I was brought up listening to him for away games and sitting not far from him at the home games. He would always stop and say hello, and the odd toffee for a young sprog.It is truely sad news to hear this so far from home (Brisbane, Aus), and my thoughts and prayers go out to all his family, friends and colleagues. A true gentleman and friend...Rest in Peace Uncle Roy

[quote user="Depraved"]

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]Minutes silence on first game of the season?[/quote]

I think he would have prefered a minute of applause tbh but definately something from the club would be very appropriate.

[/quote]

Yeah, applause is a good idea!

Sleep well Roy.

A job well done - to all corners of the Earth.

We enjoyed you immensely many times in far flung places.

Thank you. 

we will always remember roy waller for his humour and for getting his harmonica out at the country music festivals. he will be missed. god bless to his wife and family

What a very sad week it has been for Norfolk,  NCFC and some of us over in good old Suffolk.   

Many years ago as my husband & daughter  were season ticket holders I used to listen to Roys commentary at home on the radio - one could say that he made it sound so interesting that I just had to go along to Carrow Road myself and find out what all the fuss was about -  I have never looked back!!!  I used to sit there and watch the match listening to Roy on the radio - very very enjoyable.

Roy will missed so much by all that knew him and listened to his radio shows

RIP Roy you will be truly missed and all our thoughts go to your family xxx 

Forum: Main Discussion - Norwich City
Posted: Jul 12, 9:19 AM [GMT 0]
Post Subject: [url="/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2179921/ShowPost.aspx#2179921"]roy waller[/url]
Post author: wendy
we will always remember roy waller for his humour and for getting his harmonica out at the country music festivals. he will be missed. god bless to his wife and family

''Tommo'', the racing correspondent on Talksport paid tribute to Roy this morning for his work on local radio, which I thought was a very nice touch.  R.I.P  Roy.