Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

RIP Roy Waller

A legend who has been and now will continue to be greatly missed!

My condolences to his family!

Roy Waller R I P.......OTBC!

Sad, sad news. Thank you Roy for describing to me the games I couldn''t see, in the way that I watched them, through yellow and green glasses. I''m glad that his final season ended with a piece of silverware.

My condolences to his friends and family.

The man who''s voice cemented my love of all things Norwich City for life, from match commentary to his tea time quiz all those years ago! RIP  Roy, you will be massively missed.

I was massively saddened to hear this news today. I''ll never forget his legendary commentary. One of my favourite Waller-isms was heard when he was commentating on a game in which Rob Earnshaw scored. Can''t remember which one exactly, but in his customary Norfolk tone he proclaimed, "There''s Earnie, with a wonderful goal. And..oh...there he is...doing a lovely little dance in the corner"It made me laugh then and still does now. He will be missed. RIP.

RIP good man..Loved listening to you from across the pond in the US for many years and keeping me mentally in Norfolk.. Thanks for keeping me entertained every Saturday. RIP Sir.

A great commentator who always managed to raise a smile even when things weren''t going well. Will be fondly remembered and much missed by all Canaries followers.Thanks Roy!

Very very sad news indeed. Always loved listening to his commentaries, even when at times they were infuriating. "Ooow thass a gowl... oh no thass woide!"Will be sadly missed and my thoughts are with his family.Thought I''d stick this up to remind some of those good times.[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AqXRZwUPs]Click here[/url]

Only just found this out and am truely gutted. Like another poster I lived away from the county for 12 years and always had Roys comentries taped and posted to me, they used to really lift me with his totally biased love of the club and his style of comentating. Thanks for those years Roy.

A very sad day indeed.

I have already posted on this thread but just wanted to add

Have listened to Radio Norfolk on and off today , they dedicated the day to Roy, they had loads of people ring in to talk about him, plus lots of celebrities, footballers, charities he was involved in etc etc ringing in with their memories and tributes.

They played loads of funny bits from his totally biased commentaries and bits from his shows and interviews.

It was a great tribute to Roy from his empoyees and from everyone involved.

Shows just how much the man touched everyone and how sadly he''ll be missed.

What made Roy so likable was that you knew he was ''one of us'', as in, he was City through and through.  His joy and sadness with following City and commentating was genuine and not somebody going through the motions because it was their job.  

Roy''s ability to give scare the pants off me every time the opposition had the ball near our box was frightening but so was his infectious enthusiasm for the club, county, and Norfolk people.  One of the first voices I heard on returning to Norfolk having lived away and immediately new I was back home again.  Wonderful childhood memories came flooding back when he was on the radio even in his later commentaries, as others have said in those days he was the link to the game.  RIP Roy. 

Thanks Roy, you good old Norfolk boy.

A life well lived and a job well done.

You were the man behind the microphone who gained the love and affection of his audience because they saw you as a friend.

St. Peter will be waiting with a yellow and green scarf and a box set of country songs.

Rest in peace.

Was I dreaming about 11.50 today when I thought I heard Michael Wynn-Jones on Radio Norfolk say what great support that Roy had given to the club whilst being Lord Mayor and as Chairman of the Independent Supporters Club?  If I wasn''t dreaming, he must have got mixed up with his Roys and thought that Roy Blower had passed on.  With his sense of humour, I''m sure that Roy Waller would have seen the funny side of this.  And I wonder if Roy Blower heard his eulogy on the radio.

Did anyone else hear this?  Michael WJ was talking on the phone to Karen Buchanen in the interview.

RIP Roy - you gave us alot of pleasure, especially when you gave first prize to my son in the fancy dress parade at Hellesdon fete one year.  

[quote user="cityangel"]

I have already posted on this thread but just wanted to add

Have listened to Radio Norfolk on and off today , they dedicated the day to Roy, they had loads of people ring in to talk about him, plus lots of celebrities, footballers, charities he was involved in etc etc ringing in with their memories and tributes.

They played loads of funny bits from his totally biased commentaries and bits from his shows and interviews.

It was a great tribute to Roy from his empoyees and from everyone involved.

Shows just how much the man touched everyone and how sadly he''ll be missed.

[/quote]

Like you, CA, I''ve already posted on this thread but I hope that at some point NCFC will arrange some sort of permanent recognition for all Roy''s sterling service in promoting the Canaries over the years.

Perhaps Club policy dictates that only employees or those directly involved at Carrow Road can be so honoured but I would hope those in charge there will agree that he certainly deserves to be remembered in some tangible way.

Really sad to hear this. Had such a great manner about him. Was calm, funny and laid-back. I used to find his voice really relaxing, and overall was very pleasant to listen to - Had a good tone.

RIP Roy, you were a true gent.

Thoughts go out to his family. God bless.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Like you, CA, I''ve already posted on this thread but I hope that at some point NCFC will arrange some sort of permanent recognition for all Roy''s sterling service in promoting the Canaries over the years.

Perhaps Club policy dictates that only employees or those directly involved at Carrow Road can be so honoured but I would hope those in charge there will agree that he certainly deserves to be remembered in some tangible way.

[/quote]

Yes I agree that would be nice and he would have liked that. They said theres a condolence book at the forum people can sign so maybe Pete will copy these tributes into a book to put with that for his family?

My family had some connections with Roy and he actually pulled a few strings for me to get free tickets and a visit to the Radio Norfolk box for a game a couple of times.Top bloke , really sad about this

I will always fondly remember Roy talking us through City''s struggles with his delicious accent. Listening to Roy on Radio Norfolk takes me back to being a teenager. He makes me think of home and will be sadly missed.

Very sad news.  I knew his sister and had met him a few times.  A genuine Norfolk character.

My mum was very close to both Roy and Sylvie and we used to get the odd nugget of information from him about the goings-on at Carra Ruhd.Can only add to what everyone has already said with…1/ I couldn''t tell if we had scored or not because dear old Roy got so bloody excited at the simplest of things…2/ If the opposition played a tenth as well as Roy''s description of their attacking prowess whenever they crossed the halfway line, we would have lost every game 45-0… he genuinely terrified me with his commentary…3/ Was interviewed by him once in the Radio Norfolk studio… what a great sense of humour. He had us in stitches off mike and then dropped straight back into character when the ''live'' light came back on… leaving us sniggering and appearing like imbeciles.4/ He loved everything about NCFC and Norfolk… and was a genuine man that never got 1mm above his station.RIP Roy… you will be very much missed and I hope we dedicate some form of permanent memorial to you at Carra somehow.

I feel that I have lost a best friend. A truly lovely man and part of the true spirit of Norfolk. Like Ted Ellis, he will be sadly missed but never forgotten. God bless you Roy.

Having been born and brought up a fair way outside Norfolk my only experiences of Roy were the commentarys, but listening to the bits on the iPlayer from Radio Norfolk has given me such a great insight into his career beyong football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p008m8kw/Nick_Conrad_Roy_Waller_A_tribute/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p008m8ky/Karen_Buchanan_Roy_Waller_tribute/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p008m8l0/Stephen_Bumfrey_Roy_Waller_tribute/