Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

RIP Roy Waller

Genuinely saddened of this news, as with most of the others I just remember listening to away games when I was a kid, moving the aerial around to try and get a Radio Norfolk signal to listen into the game through the static, trying to understand what was going on. I guess the art of the commentator is to make you feel like you were there at the game, and Roy did that and did that as a fan first and foremost. My thoughts go out to his family and those closest to him.

Fingers crossed Radio Norfolk can dig out some of his highlights from over the years and put them together as a tribute before the Watford game. That youtube clip of the Man United game makes the hairs on my neck stand up even now and I''m sure it would do the same at Carrow Road with 26,000 people there!

Wow, I''ve only just seen this, terrible news! Great man, had the pleasure of meeting him once at one of the Open Days, he looked a little surprised that I asked him to add his autograph to the collection of play-off final players, but he was just as much a part of that journey as the players were (for away games, anyways). I''ll always remember such phrases as ''head-tennis'' and ''its laaarng, its deep''.Anyone know what he died of, I''ve not seen anything as yet?RIP Roy.

In terms of footballing commentary (other than the pure Yellow bias of course) he was distinctly ''average'' - and that''s probably being kind to him!

In terms of his devotion to the Canaries, Norwich and Norfolk he was without equal though. A lovely guy and a very sad loss to the community.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Wow, I''ve only just seen this, terrible news! Great man, had the pleasure of meeting him once at one of the Open Days, he looked a little surprised that I asked him to add his autograph to the collection of play-off final players, but he was just as much a part of that journey as the players were (for away games, anyways). I''ll always remember such phrases as ''head-tennis'' and ''its laaarng, its deep''.Anyone know what he died of, I''ve not seen anything as yet?RIP Roy.[/quote]had a bad liver, needed a transplant, but wasn''t well enough to go through with it.

As everyone else has said, I will always associate Roy Waller with growing up and supporting City as a kid; to this day I still use the expression ''head tennis''. He was often a topic of conversation at school on a Monday morning over what he''d said; a clanger, a joke or an outburst of passion.

I still laugh when I think of him describing Andy Marshall''s goal kicks. I can''t remember exactly what he used to say but it was something along the lines of after his first decent kick, Roy would say ''and there''s his one good kick for the match''.

Wonderful description of the games from our yellow and green view point.

Characters like Roy are few and far between nowadays.

I hope that the club shows its gratitude at the Watford game.

he saw us back to the championship, shame he won''t see us back to where we all believe we should bethanks for everything Roya gent and a great City fanyou''ll be missed

Just flicked up the pinkun first time today, what a shock. Cant beleive it, such sad news. RIP in peace Roy, Saturday afternoons will not be the same...

Ill always reemeber the City Hall celebrations when we were promoted. Everyone was waiting for the team to come out onto the balcony, Roy appeared and there was a big applause - he was loving it!As someone who rarely went to games when i was growing up, he truly was the voice of NCFCR.I.P Roy

This has really saddened me.Like many others Roy was a major part of growing up supporting City and used to love his highley biased commentary. Listening intently to midweek games on a very poor reception with Roy was very much part of my life.RIP Roy.

Very sad news. As others have said, he wasn''t the world''d greatest commentator, but he was City through and through, and a real character. RIP.

what sad news, My condolences go to his family.A man full of passion for this great club, and also the county of norfolk. I do hope we can mark the passing of mr radio norfolk in somewhay at the opening game. It will be fitting to show the world how much he meant to usrest in peace...http://www.gricechapman.com/images/BOOK.Wallers-World.jpg we won''t forget...

Another classic, Rotherham away, promotion season"There all having a go at Darren Huckerby, and there''s pushing in the tunnel and the fists are flying in, there''s a fight"

RIP Roy. True legend who had so much passion for Norwich City. I was listening to the radio this morning and somebody came up with the idea of naming the radio commentary box above the tunnel in his name. I think that would be a great tribute courtesy of the club.

A very sad day indeed. Roy was a legend and I loved listening to his commentary at Carrow Road...he was second to none and his enthusiasm was brilliant. RIP Roy...thoughts go out to the family x

I can''t quite remember exactly how Roy described it, but listening to him almost wet himself as Robins scored two and Dave Phillips & Ruel got one each, when Norwich came from 2-0 down at half time to silence the North Bank Mural by winning 4-2 at Highbury on the opening day of the 92/93 season has to be a highlight for me.Listening to Roy chuckle as all them sad Gooners in their new shirts started trickling out of the ground early was a peachy moment!Great man who will be sadly missed... RIP Roy! [:(]

I''ve come home to such sad news, feels like I''ve lost a relative really - Roy Waller was a huge part of me becoming a Norwich fan, he made listening to football interesting and exciting, I remember me and my grandad bumping into him at the civic reception when we won Division 1 in 2003/2004, I was one the phone to my mum at the time and mentioned grandad was talking to Roy Waller and I passed the phone to him and he took the time to chat to my mother for 5 minutes, asking why she wasn''t there (she was heavily pregnant at the time) and wished her well, he was a true gent.

I know my grandfather will have just brought him his first pint in heaven.

RIP Uncle Roy.

A truly infectious and loveable local character, and his imperfections could only enhance that feeling for him. He will forever be instantly assiociated with NCFC.

It''s fitting that his last season ended with a Chamionship.

RIP Roy.