Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

RIP Roy Waller

I shall never forget his voice. He was and will remain the voice of all things NCFC and Norfolk. I had the privilege of meeting him and his enthusiasm was infectious. I hope the club does something fitting in his memory.

RIP Roy and my condolences to his family and close friends.

Just listening to the Radio Norfolk "We are the champions" CD. Packed full of Roy Waller gold from our championship winning season.

A Legend indeed RIP Roy my thoughts are with his family and friends.

I had the pleasure of meeting Roy when he acted as compare at a charity concert at our village hall. He came across as a genuinely nice guy.

I would say his finest hour was his commentary for the Bayern Munich home game, when due to technical difficulties for Five Live, was broadcast to the Nation for the first part of the game.

A true man of Norfolk.

....somehow, after the game, you always made it seem alright. You''ll be sadly missed.

Really sad news. Met the guy a couple of times and he was great, down to earth, always up for a chat. Also used to bug him on some of his morning shows through the glass at the forum, constantly getting him to wave so we might get a mention, haha!

My favourite quote? I have a recording somewhere, when Svensson scored against Charlton in the Premier League;

"It''s in towards Svensson.... OH YES, OH YES, OH YES!" - says it all for me. Pure, raw passion, from a big canary fan.

RIP Mr Waller.

He wasn''t just a radio presenter and commentator, he was part of Norwich City Football club. His passion and enthusiasm always shone through.

RIP Roy.

This is how Roy described one of our proudest days in recent years.

This is a sad day for everyone connected with NCFC and Radio Norfolk. My sympathies to his family and colleagues. RIP Roy.

Truely a sad day for all Norwich City fans who like me grew up listening to his commentary on the radio. Hopefully his passing can be marked with a minute silence at the Norwich v Watford game at the beginning of the season.

R.I.P Roy.

roy was a fan with a microphone and no one will ever doubt his passion he had for the club.he always spoke to fans and his love for Norwich City could be heard weekly on the airwaves.. i can remember the 4-4 draw away at Rotherham when Damien Francis equalised in the dying seconds.. you could tell in Roys voice he wanted to go Loopy but he tried to keep professional at all times, must of been hard trying to sound excited when the opposition scored but Roy was a true Gent and a club legend...I''d buy a Cd of his greatest commentarys certainly...

Was this sold by the club or BBC Norfolk - I can''t seem to recall this one. I always remember the ''its deep its long quote from Uncle Roy along with his memorable commentary of the Tranmere game at Prenton Park in the Fog. It appeared to make no difference to his commentary.

RIP Roy -  you will be sadly missed

Sad news. There is one piece of commentary that has stuck in my head for more than 20 years. It was Hillsborough in 1982 in front of 10,000 City supporters...Downs, Downs to Bennett. He crosses the ball, in goes Bertschin, he''s scored! Is that the goal that is going to take Norwich City back to Division 1? Sheffield Wed 1 Norwich City 1.

RIP Roy!

Terribly sad news. He may not have been the best commentator ever but he sure had a passion for it and his enthusiasm never failed to shine through. Listening to City on the wireless will never be the same again.

My thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time.

Saturday afternoons will never be the same again. Thanks for the memories, Roy, and rest in peace.

I echo all the statements on this thread. Sad news for the County and Radio Norfolk listeners everywhere.

RIP Roy.

[quote user="yellow blood"]Sad news. There is one piece of commentary that has stuck in my head for more than 20 years. It was Hillsborough in 1982 in front of 10,000 City supporters...Downs, Downs to Bennett. He crosses the ball, in goes Bertschin, he''s scored! Is that the goal that is going to take Norwich City back to Division 1? Sheffield Wed 1 Norwich City 1. RIP Roy![/quote]

Do you know what, I''ve had that exact piece of commentary stuck in my head all morning!!  How weird!!  I was at that game, and I''m sure that snippet of commentary was on the b-side to the "Something To Shout About"  single!!  My grandad bought it for me in ''82 and got it autographed by the squad. Classic stuff, Roy is an NCFC legend and the voice of my youth....

Having grown up listening to Roy Waller every weekend this is a very big shock. While I like the commentary Chris Goreham does now, it never quite felt right listening to him instead. As Roy always used to say "One has to say," he will truly be missed by everyone who ever turned on the radio to find out how their team were getting on.

RIP a Norwich City and Norfolk legend!

A Sad day for NCFC and Norfolk - will be missed best wishes to his family at this time.