Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Going for broke or secret investor?

What a signing surman was today, sends out a strong message to other teams, especially if we beat the likes of Leeds, ''Boro and Sheff Utd to his signature, and with the rumoured £500,000 bid for jackson turned down we must surely have a new investor onboard?

Was going down 12months ago the best thing that has happened to us since being promoted in 03/04?

Like I said on another thread a minute ago, we have never been as skint as the club like to make out. Its silly to say about how how much money you have at your disposal cause then transfer fees go up.

It maybe as well that extra finance has been found?

The board is ambitious like the manager and realise that we currently have a lot of momentum and if can go for it then getting into the Premiership is a possibility!

Going for broke, no!

I reckon they are gambling rather than sticking.

I''d love it (LOVE IT!) if we did have investment, but I think McNally has proven that when you aim high, gamble a little (gambling with prudence!), and back the manager - then you achieve quite a lot.

I mean, we''re surprised that we''ve bought as much as we have (and knowing we''re still gonna buy more) - but I''d assume that Delia had put in more, or borrowed some - rather than additional investment. I''d love to be wrong tho! :)

I reckon the board realise they have a top manager at the helm and are just backing him with everything they possibly can

I think we''re not ''going for broke'' or have suddenly got a secret investor. Delia obviously has a bit of money as does Foulger and so does Alan Bowett therefore i''m more inclined to believe that the board are making a calculated gamble with our (potential) signings so far. After all was it McNally or Bowkett (can''t remember which) who said that getting promoted was an absolute must in the next few seasons due to the parachute payments situation...

David McNally is a VERY wealthy man.. he probably has his own funds in the club? and i''m guessing bowkett does too. Plus Delia has good Television work recently, a combination of all these factors.. PLUS the fact we''re not actually as really skint as alot of fans make out us to be..

and don''t forget, we just WON a league, now prize money isn''t great.. but i''m sure that must bring in money from some where, some how.

Maybe it''s the benefits reaped, from our selling of the Doc to Barca?

Joking apart, has the Doc got a club yet?.....He is quality.

Backing Lambert is obviously essentially but I doubt the board would spend money which they don''t have. Given the situation the club found itself in when they took over it seems crazy they would even entertain the possibility of Norwich potentially going to the wall again. I do think there is some investment outside of Delia putting her hand in her pocket as always. Maybe Michael Foulger or someone completely off the radar.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I think we''re not ''going for broke'' or have suddenly got a secret investor. Delia obviously has a bit of money as does Foulger and so does Alan Bowett therefore i''m more inclined to believe that the board are making a calculated gamble with our (potential) signings so far. After all was it McNally or Bowkett (can''t remember which) who said that getting promoted was an absolute must in the next few seasons due to the parachute payments situation...[/quote]

They have to take a calculated gamble.

They know that we have a fantastic young manager who says that he wants to take us in to the top 6.  When a really good young manager is at a club the size of Norwich, you either back them or they walk!

The board know that they have to be seen to make every effort in helping Lambert, Culverhouse & Co assemble a squad that can have a real good go at promotion through the play-offs at the very least.  If the board wasted the opportunity that they currently have, how many more years would they have to wait before they found a decent manager again?

I do not think that we have gone overboard in the transfer market as yet and expect a reasonable fee to be spent on a striker plus maybe another couple of free signings or cheap deals to be signed as yet before our summer shopping is done. 

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I think we''re not ''going for broke'' or have suddenly got a secret investor. Delia obviously has a bit of money as does Foulger and so does Alan Bowett therefore i''m more inclined to believe that the board are making a calculated gamble with our (potential) signings so far. After all was it McNally or Bowkett (can''t remember which) who said that getting promoted was an absolute must in the next few seasons due to the parachute payments situation...[/quote]

They have to take a calculated gamble.

They know that we have a fantastic young manager who says that he wants to take us in to the top 6.  When a really good young manager is at a club the size of Norwich, you either back them or they walk!

The board know that they have to be seen to make every effort in helping Lambert, Culverhouse & Co assemble a squad that can have a real good go at promotion through the play-offs at the very least.  If the board wasted the opportunity that they currently have, how many more years would they have to wait before they found a decent manager again?

I do not think that we have gone overboard in the transfer market as yet and expect a reasonable fee to be spent on a striker plus maybe another couple of free signings or cheap deals to be signed as yet before our summer shopping is done. 

[/quote]

Well it''s never happened before, but I agree with every word Smudger said above. 

Not sure whether the Board are funding this or perhaps there are a few silent partners who have invested a little behind the scenes (Fernandes would be my bet); either way, Lambert has been the catalyst for this.  The Board know they''ve got someone special and they know they have to back him or someone else will!

For once I agree with Smudger.

In Lambert we have a very talented young manager who is also ambitious. The board seem tto have foudn more money from somewhere, whether it''s come from Delia or Foulger or from somewhere else I don''t know but it has come from somewhere. Given the fact we also have that outstanding loan to pay off after last years "holiday" which is worht a few million (I''m sure tangy or someone can confrim the correct amount but it''s somewhere between 2-2.5 mill). Maybe someone has hoovered up all the spare shares which has helped with investment.

I doubt McNally has put any money in. I''m sure he''s rich but I just don''t get the impression that he''s the type of person who would invest in football. He''s not a Norwich fan and he''s far to clever to "invest" in us for profit. I could be wrong though.

Davo

[quote user="First Jedi"]I reckon they are gambling rather than sticking. I''d love it (LOVE IT!) if we did have investment, but I think McNally has proven that when you aim high, gamble a little (gambling with prudence!), and back the manager - then you achieve quite a lot. I mean, we''re surprised that we''ve bought as much as we have (and knowing we''re still gonna buy more) - but I''d assume that Delia had put in more, or borrowed some - rather than additional investment. I''d love to be wrong tho! :)[/quote]

he did at fulham!!

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Delia once told me that it''s the wages that''s the constant stumbling block rather than the transfer fees. Perhaps the Lambert factor''s at work here.
[/quote]

It is also true that players are drawn to playing under what they consider to be a very bright young manager, they also like signing for clubs that are well supported and have forward momentum.... [Y]

This is the kind of calculated gamble we took in Worthington''s early days in my opinion.  It is pretty much a win-win situation unless one or more of your major signings suffers a career ending injury.

A good manager signing good hungrey young players has always been the way forwards for NCFC.  The easiest way to make money at a football club of our size is to sign promising young quality, nurture them and then sell them when a silly money offer comes through the door for them - obviously investing a significant percentage of the value the player is sold for on a replacement signing.

It all falls apart somewhat when you have either a cloueless manager or one who has lost their way.

I think over the few years leading up to our relegation we had a combination of not enough money from outgoing players being re-invested in the playing squad and obviously some poor managerial choices.

You don''t need to spend an absolute fortune to win promotion from the Championship, or even stay up in the Premiership in my opinion.  But you do always need to invest as much money as you can from player sales back in to the managers transfer budget and you certainly need to have a good manager.

I find myself in that black situation of actually agreeing with Smudger...

I think we''ve seen all kinds of transfer policies at the club. Loanees, unwanted reserve players, foreigners, Scottish players etc etc. What we''re seeing under Lambert appears to be a mixture of proven experience and nurturing youth. I have to say, I like it - alot.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Delia once told me that it''s the wages that''s the constant stumbling block rather than the transfer fees. Perhaps the Lambert factor''s at work here.[/quote]Quite right, m''lud. I''m always surprised at how people see the transfer fee as the be-all & end-all when it''s the associated costs that usually matter more.