Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Taking Stock

We may sign one or two more players, either on loan or permanently, but as things stand how well placed are we to meet the challenges of the Championship?

We have Lambert, at least until some major club comes in and entices him away. The Championship will be new to him, but he has shown man-management skills and technical nous, and few will doubt his ability to perform at the higher level.

His signings since the end of the season have been very good. I would expect Ward, Surman and possibly Fox or Crofts to be in his first choice team, as well as Drury/Stevens.

There promises to be an abundance of good supply from the midfield, so the strikers should score goals, - perhaps not as many as last season because Championship defences will be better. There will probably be more goals coming from the midfield this year, - Surman, Fox and Crofts are have good scoring records.

The back-up squad players will be better. Those who have left will have been replaced by more able players. Man for man we have a better squad.

Junior players are a year older as professionals, and thus stronger and more experienced. "Fringe" players, - T-J, Wiggins, Gill, Hughes, may have improved fitness and skills and also acquired experience.

Are there any doubts? The on-off saga of Forster is one. If he comes back, we could have a very effective defence. Even if he doesn''t, Ruidd did not let us down, and to sign a competent experienced keeper would not be too difficult or expensive.

All in all, even if PL secures no further players, we must feel that even against stiffer opposition than last year we shall acquit ourselves well.

Of course PL has told those he signed that the club is aiming yet higher, so there may be more to come.

The relegated clubs, with parachute money, and big spending clubs like Leeds, will stand in our way. In the absence of long or serious injuries, however, we can hope for a play-off place.

Im just worried by the lack of pace throughout the side especially up front. The only player who really has a touch of pace is mcnamee and i dont expect to play that much next season if we stick with the diamond.

Pleased to see we have creative players now in the side in fox and surman to go along with Hoolahan. I wont be happy if we dont sign a right winger as we will need to change the system from time to time and must have a naturally right sided midfielder.

As long as we start well we should do well next season. I believe momentum is key and we must keep it.

[quote user="Wallerboi"]

Im just worried by the lack of pace throughout the side especially up front. The only player who really has a touch of pace is mcnamee and i dont expect to play that much next season if we stick with the diamond.

Pleased to see we have creative players now in the side in fox and surman to go along with Hoolahan. I wont be happy if we dont sign a right winger as we will need to change the system from time to time and must have a naturally right sided midfielder.

As long as we start well we should do well next season. I believe momentum is key and we must keep it.

[/quote]

Good summary by Salopian, but I agree with you Waller... just the pace might be an issue. I know I will repeat myself again....but we need the GK position sorted out first. Frazer saved a lot of points for us last season and we will have a big job replacing him if we should have to. I''m a fan of Ruddy too, but he''s so young. Imo we need 1 more striker and the GK position dealt with.

Slight issue with this...........Leeds aren''t big spending.

It is possible that we have more financial clout than they do, news up here is that Uncle Ken has the purse strings drawn very tightly.

I think the big difference between us and Leeds is more in the wages we would pay out. I heard that they had offered Beckford £25k a week to stay which I doubt we have ever paid a player.

Cardiff, Boro, Burnley, QPR etc will all have more cash than us but that will not guarantee anything as the season progresses.

Personally I see the priorities now as (in order) Keeper, Striker, RW, Striker, RB

I wouldn''t mind loans on the keeper and one striker, I''d prefer one of the lower league young wingers we''ve been linked with rather than a star name. With the keeper either Fraser or a much older guy who can mentor/coach Rudd and Steer.

I can''t help feeling that with Holt/Martin/MacDonald/Johnson/Daley as the strikers we are a little light in this area.