Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

How much do we need a striker?

Everyone, me included, have been looking forward to the signings of a relatively expesnive striker.

The yes we have/no we haven''t made a bid for Jackson at Gillingham and asked about Nile Ranger suggests that PL is looking, but neither of these a big target man replacement for Holt.

At the moment we have two strikers who ought to be reasonably successful in the Championship - Holt and Martin, and we also have Johnson and Cody as back-up.

Unless Holt or Martin suffers an injury, is suspended or loses form, do we need another targetman to keep the bench warm?

We have signed one or two creative midfielders, and can add Huighes and Hooly. If one striker is out for any reason, then we could play with a single striker, and with one of the midfielders or Cody/Johnson playing off him, as Hooly has.

We now have a staff with more skill, and a midfield which ought to be more creative. We could play 4-4-1-1 or some other formation, rather than the diamond 4-3-3.

It would be a risk if we didn''t buy an experienced striker, but given the resources we have it might not be disastrous.

I''d go so far to say that we probably need 2 more strikers.

I don''t think that Cody is ready (if at all), I really like Cody but he needs games and won''t get them with us, therefore loaning him out is the best option. The same could probably be said for Oli but he''s more likely to stay around as Lambert clearly likes him.

Therefore, with Cody being loaned out we are only really left with 3, you need at least 5 for me in the Championship, so Jackson and Nile Ranger would make sense, one quick, one with a bit of muscle!

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]I''d go so far to say that we probably need 2 more strikers. [/quote]I quite agree. If you''re reading Lambert - i''m available of a free. [:)]

I think 5 strikers is excessive and not necessary. 4 is fine and appears to fit the formula of two players for each place.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I think 5 strikers is excessive and not necessary. 4 is fine and appears to fit the formula of two players for each place.[/quote]

Sorry, I''ll word that better - and fits Lambert''s apparent formula of two players for each position

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]Brendo,

Come on now, Emile is too good for us, he is an international after all!?!?!?!?!?[/quote][^o)]I would love nothing more than this.However, I was reffering to the mighty striker of myself. Garuanteed I''d get 40 odd goals. [:D]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We can''t expect Holt & Martin to play 46 games appiece and score goals throughout the season.
[/quote]Why not? they did last year!

And don''t all rush to write off  Chrissy Martin just yet.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We can''t expect Holt & Martin to play 46 games appiece and score goals throughout the season.
[/quote]Why not? they did last year!

[/quote]Correction: Almost did.

First Wizard

I''m certainly not writing him off, I think he was excellent last season and think will have a big season this season.

However, you need good backup if the first choice pair aren''t doing it and I don''t personally think that Cody and Oli are ready for that job.

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]First Wizard

I''m certainly not writing him off, I think he was excellent last season and think will have a big season this season.

However, you need good backup if the first choice pair aren''t doing it and I don''t personally think that Cody and Oli are ready for that job.[/quote]Agreed. Cody and Oli had good impact appearances off the bench but when either of them started they didnt look capeable.

I believe 1 striker is necessary but 2 would be good if we have the money.  If we signed Jackson and no other striker I would be very happy.

Priority imo is the GK first... I''d love to have a striker in, but I still want the GK ''s position filled first. If Lambert, really wants Jackson, he''ll get him I reckon.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Priority imo is the GK first... I''d love to have a striker in, but I still want the GK ''s position filled first. If Lambert, really wants Jackson, he''ll get him I reckon.[/quote]

Agreed.  Lets get Forster wrapped up then go hunting for a striker.  Then we could well be done.

We can get by with what we have but i dont think that is Lambert''s ambition for this season. It was very noticeable when Holt was absent last season, and so while Cody and Oli are realising their potential it would be good to have a finished package ready to step in.

We seem to have gathered some decent signings so far but I still think we need another striker and to get this goalkeeper business sorted asp.

I think Oli Johnson is fine to cover for Chrissy Martin, I''d like to see someone in as cover for Holt. Cody to go out on loan, with the option of being re-called should it become neccessary.

I think we need a striker for all the reasons people have stated.

The one thing I don''t understand is why people keep saying we need one as "backup" for Holt and Martin? Surely if we are seriously looking at getting into the top 6 we need someone as competition or who can fit in to the first team and play from the start? Someone who can come in and get us 15 goals plus? It honestly seems a waste to me if we go out and buy a striker just so they can warm the bench or be another "impact" player. Yes the front three did brilliantly last season and I rate them all highly but that was league one this is the championship and we should be improving our squad not just bringing in players as backup.

It also seems to me that Norwich fans liek their football in a certain way. We like passing football and a big man up front. If we are going to continue playing a narrow diamond wouldn''t pace be a better asset so we can coutner attack quickly through the middle? If we can find soemone who is tall and quick then we would have the best of both worlds.

Davo

I think Chopra showed what a difference a good finisher can make in the champ. Would love to see us get someone with some Prem experience like Ched or Ebanks Blake as think we need to start building towards this.

Personally i dont think we need a back up for Holt, just a differant option. Martins not really quick or strong, more the intelligent sort of striker who i rate highly. We all know Holts strenghts. Johnson again is tall and you wud expect to win a few arial battles but seems light weight but has good technichal ability. Cody i dont think will cut it at this level at all, dint make an impact in League One.

I think we really need a pacey striker, someone who can get in behind the defence Jackson seems to be Lamberts man and id be happy with that. If Cody goes on loan then i think we need another striker aswell. Hopefully Ranger on loan but not to sure that one will happen.

Holt  has the muscle, Martin the finishing finsesse, Oli has the dribbling and "unknown" quantity.All we lack is PACE. So one more striker who can turn and GO.

I think we need a battering ram to deal with the big guys, who i would get though i couldn''t guess. options i wouldnt mind though could be someone like tyson at notts forest or even adebola if desperate. Id also suggest bishop of bury. I think also that, unless were intent on blooding oli or cody we need to ship them on loan and get in another pacy player up top too. One suggestion i have for that is Elliot Benyon at torquay.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Why not? they did last year!

[/quote]You may not have noticed but we won promotion and the Championship is a big step up from League 1, Cody McDonald & Oli Johnson rarely made any impact starting matches, Grant Holt & Chris Martin aren''t going to bang in goals anywhere near as consistently as they did last season in an inferior division.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Why not? they did last year!

[/quote]

You may not have noticed but we won promotion and the Championship is a big step up from League 1, Cody McDonald & Oli Johnson rarely made any impact starting matches, Grant Holt & Chris Martin aren''t going to bang in goals anywhere near as consistently as they did last season in an inferior division.
[/quote]I still think they will.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"] Grant Holt & Chris Martin aren''t going to bang in goals anywhere near as consistently as they did last season in an inferior division.
[/quote]I still think they will.[/quote]Now Wiz, while you may be wise about most things, after your (admirable) defence of Jamie Lad I''m afraid your knowledge of good strikers is very questionable! [;)]