Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Do we need a right back???

Yeah martin cannot be good enough because p''boro let him last season and didnt play and spillane wont be good enough bu is a litle better than martin we need a right back who has a couple of seasons experience in NPC

I still thinK spillane could prove good enough but with only him and Russell Martin in the squad, I think it''s definitely an area that needs looking at.

For me its about 5th priority now, I''d be more worried by striking depth, the right wing and keeper.

We could do with one.  I am not a Russel Martin fan and think that he is defiantely a weak link and could be very exposed when he comes up agaisn''t a good winger.  However I think Spillane could do okay there for this season and would then really progress in the 2011/12 season.

If we got one I would be happy but at the moment the priority must be a keeper and then a striker and then a right winger.  I do think though it should be looked at.

If there''s one available who will improve our team for the right price then yes. If not there are more pressing concerns like a striker, keeper and winger like other have suggested.

Davo

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Yeah martin cannot be good enough because p''boro let him last season and didnt play and spillane wont be good enough bu is a litle better than martin we need a right back who has a couple of seasons experience in NPC
[/quote]

Well it looks obvious to me that Lambert thinks Martin is good enough.  But then what does he know?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="NCFC-47"]Yeah martin cannot be good enough because p''boro let him last season and didnt play and spillane wont be good enough bu is a litle better than martin we need a right back who has a couple of seasons experience in NPC[/quote]

Well it looks obvious to me that Lambert thinks Martin is good enough.  But then what does he know?

[/quote]i would love to swallow my words maybe Peterborugh staff didnt coach him right and maybe we can would love to see it happen

Yes we need a new RB! I think shaleum Logan could do well for us. Did well for tranmere even though they were in the bottom half. Good age and gifted player from the Manchester city youth academy.

If money were no object, yes, get another right back. There are probably more good right backs than lefts backs about, and we would probably need one in the Premiership when promoted!

I have not seen Martin play, so I can''t comment on him, but he seems a very intelligent player who could adapt to what is required.

I think that Spillane has real potential. He was beginning to show it, especially with that goal, when he had the serious injury.

Behind them in the pecking order is Francomb, who seemed to play well.He, too, has potential.

I suspect that PL will soldier on with what he has, choosing between Martin and a fully recovered Spillane from the pre-season games.

We have spent more money than I expected, even if it is not very much, and I think that PL may want to keep some back for later loans or purchases.

I honestly believe if we go with Martin/ Spillane we are going to get exposed down the right hand side; especialy if Lambert goes with a narrow midfield.

Martin might inteligent and a good L1 player, but im not convinced hes anywhere near good enough for the championship. And as you say Spillane lacks experience so will i suspect be used as back-up or loaned out to get the relevant experience.

Of course this all depends if Lambert has the funds to do so. I wouldnt be at all surprised if Lambert went out and aquired a first choice right back.

I find it strange that the general consensus seems to be that Martin won''t cut it in the Championship because he was released by Peterborough, yet there is no such teeth nashing about Holt, who has also failed to prove himself at that level.

Martin did well last season and looks to have the footballing intelligence and pace to step up. How about we actually give the lad a chance?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I find it strange that the general consensus seems to be that Martin won''t cut it in the Championship because he was released by Peterborough, yet there is no such teeth nashing about Holt, who has also failed to prove himself at that level.

Martin did well last season and looks to have the footballing intelligence and pace to step up. How about we actually give the lad a chance?

[/quote][Y]

Am i the only one who doesnt mind Martin?Apart from a shocker against Orient he was consistent. I think thats his problem. He is a regular and steady 7/10 player who just goes about his job doing what is asked. No more and no less.But then with Lappin and Doc, replaced and released, we do need a new scapegoat.....

Now now Beau no need to be reasonable. We don''t know why Peterborough sold Martin, maybe the money was too good to turn down. I mean let''s face it they loan Boyd to Forest when surely it would of been better to keep him.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

Now now Beau no need to be reasonable. We don''t know why Peterborough sold Martin, maybe the money was too good to turn down. I mean let''s face it they loan Boyd to Forest when surely it would of been better to keep him.

Davo

[/quote]

Reasonable? I bet you''re not even writing off the new signings before actually seeing them play. What sort of Norwich fan are you?[;)]

On a serious note, my Posh season ticket holding friend was amazed when they sold Martin as he was considered very sound.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"]

Davo

[/quote]

Reasonable? I bet you''re not even writing off the new signings before actually seeing them play. What sort of Norwich fan are you?[;)]

On a serious note, my Posh season ticket holding friend was amazed when they sold Martin as he was considered very sound.

[/quote]

I find there''s no need to write off new players before they have actually played, mainly due to the fact that there are so many of you around to do it for me so why waste the effort?

Martin''s attitude for me reminds me of Edworthy, He''s an unremarkable player who doesn''t do anything to wow the crowd but he plays to a steady standard. He''s not perfect but as I said earlier IF we can get a rigth back who would improve the squad for the right then go for it. But there are more pressing worries to address and if the choice was between having a striker for £750k and a new RB for £250k or a better striker for £1 mill and no new right back I would take the better striker any day.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"]

Davo

[/quote]

[/quote]

I find there''s no need to write off new players before they have actually played, mainly due to the fact that there are so many of you around to do it for me so why waste the effort?

Martin''s attitude for me reminds me of Edworthy, He''s an unremarkable player who doesn''t do anything to wow the crowd but he plays to a steady standard. He''s not perfect but as I said earlier IF we can get a rigth back who would improve the squad for the right then go for it. But there are more pressing worries to address and if the choice was between having a striker for £750k and a new RB for £250k or a better striker for £1 mill and no new right back I would take the better striker any day.

Davo

[/quote]

[8-)]

Completely agree with CUSDP/ Beau/Davo.

Martin''s had one poor game for us since he joined, apart from that he''s been consistant and reliable. I''ll have no problem seeing him line up against Watford for the season opener.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"]

Davo

[/quote]

[/quote]

Davo

[/quote]

[8-)]

[/quote]

Apologies I didn''t mean you personally just the "you" as in the people who wtire off/build up players before they have even kicked a ball.

Davo

[quote user="Lambo"]

Completely agree with CUSDP/ Beau/Davo.

Martin''s had one poor game for us since he joined, apart from that he''s been consistant and reliable. I''ll have no problem seeing him line up against Watford for the season opener.

[/quote]

He had that one shocker yes, but in the other games he wasn''t exactly solid and reliable IMO.  He seemed to be nervous sometimes and a bit edgy when he got the ball in his own half.  He did seem to make a few mistakes a game that weren''t punished but at Championship level they could well be punished.  Also just like Otsemobor when the left winger of the opposition had the ball on the wing he was very slow in getting over to them and closing them down, which resulted in a final ball from the winger.  It also looked like he left massive gaps between him and the centre backs allowing runners to get through (or maybe that was Doherty''s fault!).

Going forward he was good but at the back he is a bit of a liability.

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Davo"]

Davo

[/quote]

[/quote]

Davo

[/quote]

[8-)]

[/quote]

Apologies I didn''t mean you personally just the "you" as in the people who wtire off/build up players before they have even kicked a ball.

Davo

[/quote]

You are forgiven.[;)]

Thought it would of been on the top of Lambo''s list..... cant wait to see Drew play.... need to get the keeper postion sorted badly.

Yes. Nothing against Russell Martin or Spillane but I just don''t think either are good enough to be the first choice RB. Would love to be proved wrong though.