Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Leeds ahead of us to go up in betting!!

Were 14/1 and Leeds are 12/1, how???

We have The majority of our squad for next season and Leeds don''t so we will be gelling before them next season and they won''t!

It just doesn''t make sense!!

*source: ladbrokes

So far their signings don''t look to be very attack minded. They have lost their best striker and replaced him with one who isn''t really that proven so far.

If they get Russell they would have bought a more defencively minded player - ok box to box but his strength is in breaking up play more than playmaking - would be a good partner for Snodgrass I guess.

But so far as I am concerned I really don''t care. Let them play with the pressure of being more backed. There are other teams in this league that are as good as us and them if not better. If Cardiff can keep their team together you would be crazy to deny they are contenders, maybe Leicester as well.

Its not as easy as some people are saying it could be.

Yeah but aren`t Leeds a massive club and champions of Europe?

anyway I`ll have a sneaky tenner on us to make the playoffs, what`s the odds?

banana do you actually know what determines a price

a) some pimply fred in head office making up the book ie deciding the odds

b) a reflection of the amount of money laid ie how much has been placed as bets on each team

a clue ......... it is not a)

Banana... Not being funny mate, but every thread you make, is generally not about Norwich..You''re making us look like we care so much about Leeds.. We don''t.. Stop. [y]

Screw Leeds, don''t give a toss what their odd''s are.

This isn''t Norwich vs Leeds anymore, we;re not currently embroiled in a title "fight" with em'' as we sort of were last season. (I say sort of because we were pretty comfortable in the end)

So what does it really matter? All your doing is feeding those Northerner''s egos by running on about em, make their delusions of grandeur that little bit worse.

Who cares?

We''re the ones who will be collecting our winnings, whilst they will have to say bye bye to their bets, and say hello to another season in league 1. [:D]

It means absolutely nothing that they are ahead of us in the betting. Besides, they can be favourites for the title, the fa cup and cruffs for all i care.. their arogance once again will be their downfall.

It suits us to be the underdogs... theres less pressure that way.

Maybe they''ve had a lot of betting on this - they''ll reduce the odds to limit the impact of a payout, if there is lots of money riding on it.

Jedi

The odds ALWAYS are based on the amount of betting. NEVER on probability or guesswork otherwise they would lose.

If I walked into a bookies and placed 10n grand on City to win the laegue our odds would be slashed to evens or less. Other clubs odds would lengthen. NOT that it is more likely that we are going to win, but to attract money (bets) to the other clubs.

It is called balancing the book - that''s why they are called bookies, bookmakers.

[quote user="City1st"]Jedi

The odds ALWAYS are based on the amount of betting. NEVER on probability or guesswork otherwise they would lose.

If I walked into a bookies and placed 10n grand on City to win the laegue our odds would be slashed to evens or less. Other clubs odds would lengthen. NOT that it is more likely that we are going to win, but to attract money (bets) to the other clubs.

It is called balancing the book - that''s why they are called bookies, bookmakers.[/quote]

Not really.

A market as to be formed before anyone has had a punt! So technically there is some guess and probability work.

Also, if i were to walk into a bookies and put £1000 on Hounduras to win the world cup, the odds would not change.

Odds are only changed when a bookmakers liability becomes more than the threshold they play by.

Anyone can become a bookmaker by ''layin'' on Betfair.

As for the Norwich example, there is absolutly no way we would be slashed to anywhere near evens.

And the bookies dont try to attract bets by cutting the odds they are simply shortening their liabilities.

Maybe in horse racing if there is a ''dead market'' a bookie may begin cutting the odds of one horse to attract money for it, but this simply isnt the case in football

"The odds ALWAYS are based on the amount of betting. NEVER on probability or guesswork otherwise they would lose. "

I know - that''s what I was trying to say...

Firstly it was more aimed at banana not you Jedi.

Secondly I''m not quite sure what CDM is saying.

"A market as to be formed before anyone has had a punt! So technically there is some guess and probability work. " That''s a given. The comments have been about recent prices.

"Anyone can become a bookmaker by ''layin'' on Betfair"

Betfair layers price horses and not a book. A difference

"Also, if i were to walk into a bookies and put £1000 on Hounduras to win the world cup, the odds would not change. "

And a million wouldn''t either ?

"And the bookies dont try to attract bets by cutting the odds they are simply shortening their liabilities"

eh ! Why would they then offer longer odds ? If there was no elemenmt of attraction then the number of bets would be static and any lenghthening would merely increase their payout (loss).

"As for the Norwich example, there is absolutly no way we would be slashed to anywhere near evens"

Again wrong. I took 1-10 at Corals on Norwich winning promotion the Thursday before Norwich played at Huddersfield ie I had to lay £500 to win £50, rmuch less than evens. By saturday morning those odds had shortened to 1-20. Others had lenghehned. Nothing had occured to make the bet more probable. Those fluctiuations reflected the respective amounts being placed.

"Maybe in horse racing if there is a ''dead market'' a bookie may begin cutting the odds of one horse to attract money for it, but this simply isnt the case in football

Again wrong. Firstly to attract bets the odds have to be lengthened not cut. Why if I can get 3-1 to beat Watford 1-0 say would I be attracted if those odds were cut to 2-1 ? If it isn''t the case in football then why are prices fluctuating when the season hasn''t already started. Why have the binners odds changed when they have even signed or sold anyone thereby not giving any indication of probability. Could it be that those odds are as stated are a reflectrion of the money bet ?

So if non of the prices you see are probability or guess work then why is one of the most profitable jobs in the gambling industry the .......odds compiler.

It is upto a compiler to put together a market.

It is then upto to a market trader to lay off any large liabilities.

Any customer wanting to place a large bet must seek Permission to Lay, this goes to the company to see if we are happy to accept the bet. There are many factors that sway us, if it is a customer is a big loser we are more inclined to take the bet, if we know the customer is going to gamble any returns we are more inclined to take the bet. Or we could take x amount of pounds at sat 4/1 then the rest at 3/1.

If there is no guess work or probability in forming a market then why are the favourites for the Premier League Man Utd,Chelsea much shorted than the favourites in the Championship QPR,Reading?

[quote user="City1st"]banana do you actually know what determines a price a) some pimply fred in head office making up the book ie deciding the odds b) a reflection of the amount of money laid ie how much has been placed as bets on each team a clue ......... it is not a)[/quote]

Banana told his school careers man that he wanted to be a pimply fred in a bookies head office.  Hope you realise that youve just ruined a boys dream City1st

Personally I hope bookies make us 1000-1 .... means that I''d make a mint when we go up....